Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 11:26 AM

1,028 posts, read 3,085,836 times

Advertisements

I am exhausted just reading all these posts. Can't we all just get along? Anyway, since some of the folks on here seem to know coastal areas pretty well, can somebody please tell me what they know about Conway, N. Myrtle, Surfside, Murrel's, etc. I am a social worker, my wife and I love the water/boardwalk/touristy stuff, and I am looking for a plave outside of Myrtle that is affordable, but not completely rural, with decent job opportunities, and is conveniant to shopping, restaurants, hospitals, etc. And, please, be gentle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 08:59 AM

32 posts, read 107,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybe View Post
You really dont have a clue do you??

Perhaps you should get off your high horse and educate yourself before you post!

1. Wherever i want
2. ferry runs every 2 hours--more than a hundred people from Daufuskie commute to and from work every day...cant be that hard!
3.The island has been there for hundreds of years, it's not going anywhere any time soon ( do your research!)
4.I would not be buying property from a Gullah, but if they want to sell their property, then whats the problem?

THE WHITE PEOPLE ARE NOT FORCING THE GULLAH OFF THEIR LAND.....AS A MATTER OF FACT, IT WAS DIVIDED UP AND MOST OF THE ISLAND WAS GIVEN TO THE GULLAH BY WHITE MEN!!!.....IF THE GULLAH DECIDED TO SELL THIER PROPERTY, THEN SO BE IT.

Perhaps not being educated doesnt bother you, but it would bother me.
So typical the response from all the transplants who have ruined Hilton Head and other sea islands. They just do not care.. Then they turn it into another New York City and everyone wants to move away leaving trashed out hoods and ruined areas.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickynlevy View Post
So typical the response from all the transplants who have ruined Hilton Head and other sea islands. They just do not care.. Then they turn it into another New York City and everyone wants to move away leaving trashed out hoods and ruined areas.
Do you have genuine resentment toward transplants in general, or just some of them? My wife and I are considering moving from AL to Conway, N. Myrtle, or someplace like that. We have heard various opinions on attitudes toward "transplants", but most of them have been fairly positive. We aren't environmentally ignorant yuppies who think the world needs to change to fit our needs, but we are still obviously concerned about territorial elitism. I am not suggesting you are like this, just merely wondering if you can validate your statement, as it seems like a bit of a generalist comment born from frustration over people wanting to move to your state.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvjd View Post
Do you have genuine resentment toward transplants in general, or just some of them? My wife and I are considering moving from AL to Conway, N. Myrtle, or someplace like that. We have heard various opinions on attitudes toward "transplants", but most of them have been fairly positive. We aren't environmentally ignorant yuppies who think the world needs to change to fit our needs, but we are still obviously concerned about territorial elitism. I am not suggesting you are like this, just merely wondering if you can validate your statement, as it seems like a bit of a generalist comment born from frustration over people wanting to move to your state.
I really do not mind other TRUE southerners moving into the area. It's the transplanted yankee who does not give a damn about anything but living on the beach and taking over the rivers by building hundreds of private communities closing off any beach access for natives of our state. I guess what bothers me the most is watching beautiful areas of the state I grew up in being ruined by over developement. I mean growth is fine but it is out of control here in Beaufort county. I see these people who come here because they think it is so beautiful.. It WAS beautiful at one time, but it's ruined now.. AS far as Myrtle Beach goes, it has been ruined for so many years that it really does not matter to me what happens in that area. This area here in Beaufort county is under going major destruction and watching it happen, really bothers me..

You used to be able to go out on the beach and no one would be in sight. You could catch fresh seafood from the local rivers. Now days the fertilizers from yards and golf courses have damaged much of that and have made some of it dangerous to eat. Now you go to the river and instead of a peaceful place to relax you have people speeding by on their jet skies. Trash floating along the edges of the river. Now we have 6 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic to Hilton Head. Most of the beaches on Hilton Head are now private and taken over by transplanted snobs who claim Hilton Head as "our island". Example, the Okatie river which is a salt water river used to be one of the most unspoiled rivers in the US, now it's being ruined by large private communities that have built along it's shores, such as Callawassie Island and Old Field. These places have huge golf courses and yards that are constantly fertilized. These chemicals then run off into the rivers polluting the once fresh sea food that many natives used to enjoy.. Now they issue warnings about eating sea food caught from local rivers. It's like watching a slow death.. I will quote my fellow southerner from Florida here, she has some of the same attitudes that I do..

Originally Posted by florida southerner 3

"This is to you Northern carpetbaggin' folk. If you don't like the South, then leave, or better yet, don't move here in the first place! Now. I realize what I'm about to emphatically declare with gusto and conviction, will not apply to all Northern people. There are plenty of fine Northerners who love the South. This article ain't for you.

I may not be a South Carolinian, but I am a Floridian and I'm proud of my Southern roots, Y'ALL!!! And I will gladly and proudly stand up for my fellow Southern folk from other parts of Dixie! Yes, we still talk about the WAR FOR SOUTHERN INDEPENDENCE, WAR OF NORTHERN AGGRESSION, or WAR BETWEEN THE STATES! There was nothing CIVIL about it! If you don't like us talking about the WAR, tough grits! Y'all Yankees love to move here to the South, and no sooner have you finished unloading your moving truck, you want to start manipulating, changing, and forcing us to fit your ways and lifestyles. You're trying to turn where you've moved to in the South into a little piece of where you moved from in the North! Hello! You chose to move to Dixie. You knew beforehand that things in the South were different, i.e. dialects, foods, cultures, general ways of handling and dealing with things. If it bothers you so much then move back where you came from! Quit trying to change us and make us conform to your ways and attitudes. You're the newcomers, the outsiders, the carpetbaggers. You're moving to our turf. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Well, WHEN IN THE SOUTH, DO AS THE SOUTHERNERS DO! Here's an idea. Adopt some Southern cultures. It won't kill ya! I'm sick and tired of y'all Yankees, Canadians, and other foreigners always wanting to usurp, criticize, undermine, and obliterate our precious Southern cultures. If we and our Confederate Flags (which ain't comin down) offend you so much, then--look away, look away, MOVE AWAY, from Dixie Land!

Much Abliged. "

Last edited by rickynlevy; 10-22-2007 at 02:57 PM..

Old 10-22-2007, 03:52 PM

So, what you are saying is I am welcome in SC but my wife, who was born and raised in New Jersey, is not? Southern culture is great, but when it comes to the bare bones of the whole "us against them", "blues vs. the greys", etc., it just becomes rhetoric. I love living in AL, have all my life, but I don't wave a confederate flag and am accepting of ALL cultures, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, or geographic location. That being said, I am proud to be southern and love the south. That does not mean that I am superior, others are intruders, or that the civil war was a great thing. Many people died, families often had to fight against one another, industry was decimated in the south which led to mass migration to the north, paving the way for homelessness and abject poverty that still exists today. And although the entire thing wasn't about slavery a lot of it was, which most modern thinkers agree is a bad thing. There is nothing "southern" about denouncing other people's heritage. I realize that not everybody who has a fondness for the confederate flag is a racist. I get it. Problem that so many people can't get past is that many of them are racists. There are many t shirts and bumper stickers that have the confederate flag, but also have slogans and pictures with racial overtones. White power/seperatists all over the US use the confederate flag as a symbol of solidarity amongst them. I believe you when you say that you are not racist, and would just encourage you to let people who don't understand why (which many people don't, conserative, southern and the like) you are supportive so that THEY can understand why. If you are proud of it, then educate people, and try not to be judgemental about it. I think you will find that sometimes you are the one thinking negatively about somebody, when they might genuinely just not understand, and any hope of them trying to understand is stamped out by hostility of them for their geographic location. If somebody wants to move to SC and forge a life for themselves and have a career, family and home, who can blame them? It only serves to benefit the economy. It's a great place to be. Besides, all original South Carolinians were once British or native Indians. A "South Carolinian" can be anybody who chooses to make it their home (or anywhere else in the south), and nobody holds ownership over that.
I respect your opinion, as I respect all opinions. As a fellow southerner, I wish that instead of approaching your pride that you have in your heritage from a separatist standpoint you would think about the negative feelings that people might get about the south. We rely on expansion, industry and tourism as much as the next state, and can't honestly fault others for wanting to be a part of it. Sorry if that sounds a bit liberal.

Last edited by pvjd; 10-22-2007 at 04:38 PM..

Old 10-22-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
So, what you are saying is I am welcome in your state but my wife, who was born and raised in New Jersey, is not? Southern culture is great, but when it comes to the bare bones of the whole "us against them", "blues vs. the greys", etc., it just becomes rhetoric. I love living in AL, have all my life, but I don't wave a confederate flag and am accepting of ALL cultures, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, or geographic location. That being said, I am proud to be southern and love the south. That does not mean that I am superior, others are intruders, or that the civil war was a great thing. Many people died, families often had to fight against one another, industry was decimated in the south which led to mass migration to the north, paving the way for homelessness and abject poverty that still exists today. And although the entire thing wasn't about slavery a lot of it was, which most modern thinkers agree is a bad thing. There is nothing "southern" about denouncing other people's heritage. If somebody wants to move to SC and forge a life for themselves and have a career, family and home, who can blame them? It only serves to benefit the economy. It's a great place to be. Besides, all original South Carolinians were once English or native Indians.
I respect your opinion, as I respect all opinions. As a fellow southerner, I wish that instead of approaching your pride that you have in your heritage from a separatist standpoint you would think about the negative feelings that people might get about the south. We rely on expansion, industry and tourism as much as the next state, and can't honestly fault others for wanting to be a part of it.

1. Apparently according to what you said in your post, your wife must be one of the Yankees who does not give a damn, so in that case, no I would not welcome her.. I said in my post that, "It's the transplanted Yankee who does not give a damn about anything but living on the beach and taking over the rivers by building hundreds of private communities closing off any beach access for natives of our state" Those are the ones that I dislike. Also I quoted this "not apply to all Northern people". You chose to ignore all of this.

2. Everyone has their own opinion about the Civil War. That is my heritage and that I will not be forced to forget about.. I am not trying to force what I believe on you, please do not try and force what you believe on me.. Instead of being so judgmental, try asking questions of why I support the flag.. It may be much different from your assumptions..

4. Just because I support the Rebel Flag does not mean that I am full of hate against others.. Yes, there were many negative aspects about that war and that is not what I am proud of.. Who said anything about denouncing others? I did not mention anything about other races or gays.. I accept gays and blacks.. That is waaaay off my main topic of the environment. I embrace the Gullah culture here as well.. I think it is wonderful for them to be able to hang on to their heritage as well. That is important.. As far as that goes, you know nothing about me at all.. It is a little humorous (and it did make me chuckle) that you make an assumption of who you think I am but in reality you know nothing about me at all.

5. You seem to have much hate for me and my beliefs.. You know nothing about me or my beliefs, except that I do not like people coming here trying to force their ways upon me and ruining the SC coastal environment.. I am not trying to change your way of thinking.

6. Some folks claim that they are excepting and embrace others beliefs and claim to be open minded, but when it comes right down to it they are very closed minded. Especially when it comes to the flag issue they only hear what they want to hear and that is it..

Old 10-22-2007, 05:30 PM

Of course she gives a damn. That's absurd, and offensive since you don't know her from a bar of soap. Get off your throne and stop with the pious assumption that just because you are southern makes you somehow immune to the trappings of elitism and arrogance. The attitude you display has absolutely nothing to do with pride or heritage. Nobody is criticising you for your beliefs, so stop playing the poor, persecuted southern gentleman bit. You have criticized my wife of whom you know nothing about, and that is completely uncalled for. She moved to Winder, GA several years back with her parents, and loves it here in AL. I have merely stated my own opinion, and where we might differ. You are just criticising anybody who shows a genuine interest in SC and trying to scare them off with your crime report posts and suggestions that SC is not the place for them because you feel a sense of ownership. Some of your statements are true, and others are more rude than anybody I have come across elsewhere, including the north. I can only assume that it is for the purpose of pressing buttons, and that you are a nice person when not typing away at a stranger. Anyhow, I am not on here to fight with anybody. You have your issues, I have mine, and I am willing to leave it at that if you are. I am just trying to find a decent place to live that is still relatively rural, close to the water and attractions, where I can find a home and job. As a social worker who has dedicated my life to helping those who are vulnerable and in need, as well as future homeowner who pays taxes, I am sure SC can benefit more from my presence than be hurt by it. As for my wife, she cares for elderly people, many of which have alzheimer's and are bedridden, without a thought in the world as to where they were born. I am sure she can make an impact on the SC population as well. Who knows, she might even have to care for someone you know.

Last edited by pvjd; 10-22-2007 at 05:48 PM..

Old 10-22-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Of course she gives a damn. That's absurd, and offensive since you don't know her from a bar of soap. Get off your throne and stop with the pious assumption that just because you are southern makes you somehow immune to the trappings of elitism and arrogance. The attitude you display has absolutely nothing to do with pride or heritage. Nobody is criticising you for your beliefs, so stop playing the poor, persecuted southern gentleman bit. You have criticized my wife of whom you know nothing about, and that is completely uncalled for. She moved to Winder, GA several years back with her parents, and loves it here in AL. I have merely stated my own opinion, and where we might differ. You are just criticising anybody who shows a genuine interest in SC and trying to scare them off with your crime report posts and suggestions that SC is not the place for them because you feel a sense of ownership. Some of your statements are true, and others are more rude than anybody I have come across elsewhere, including the north. I can only assume that it is for the purpose of pressing buttons, and that you are a nice person when not typing away at a stranger. Anyhow, I am not on here to fight with anybody. You have your issues, I have mine, and I am willing to leave it at that if you are. I am just trying to find a decent place to live that is still relatively rural, close to the water and attractions, where I can find a home and job. As a social worker who has dedicated my life to helping those who are vulnerable and in need, as well as future homeowner who pays taxes, I am sure SC can benefit more from my presence than be hurt by it. As for my wife, she cares for elderly people, many of which have alzheimer's and are bedridden, without a thought in the world as to where they were born. I am sure she can make an impact on the SC population as well. Who knows, she might even have to care for someone you know.
Forget it, it's not worth it .. I was going to continue this rant, but I'm not... You just believe what you want to believe. Say what you want, but it is obvious that you are full of hatred, misconceptions, assumptions and are smearing what I said.. You never talked about my main topic which was the environment of the coastal area. You simply play the victim card and I'm the mean evil redneck Rebel flag supporter..

Old 10-23-2007, 05:46 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,484,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickynlevy View Post
Forget it, it's not worth it .. I was going to continue this rant, but I'm not... You just believe what you want to believe. Say what you want, but it is obvious that you are full of hatred, misconceptions, assumptions and are smearing what I said.. You never talked about my main topic which was the environment of the coastal area. You simply play the victim card and I'm the mean evil redneck Rebel flag supporter..
In all honesty, ricky, you presented a perfectly good argument involving coastal development, stormwater runoff pollution, and the problems that transplants create along the coast. I agree with a lot of what you said.
Where you went wrong was including the confederate flag, talking about somebody's wife, singling out Yankees as the problem, and making it a north-south issue. The "problem" is really with the southerners (and our governing) - it's just all the people moving here really aggravate the problem.

A lot of South Carolinians want to keep our waters clean (swimmable), we want the animals that live in the water to remain alive (and edible), and we want decent access to that water. Whether they mean to or not, transplants and development does threaten this.

I live here in Wilmington, NC, where all the coastal development has completely ruined the waters. People built, and when they did, they did so with no regard to their impact on the land. Houses and parking lots and roads collect oil, pesticides, feces, and all manner of nasty things that weren't there before the land was developed. Plus people fertilize their lawns. When it rains, those nasty things run straight into the water.

Every single waterbody in New Hanover County (where I live) is considered "impaired" by the EPA. All shellfishing in the area is closed due to high fecal contamination. All the creeks and inlets are polluted. I'm a South Carolinian, and I hate to see the same thing happen in Beaufort, Georgetown, Charleston, etc, because we didn't have enough good sense to plan.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:00 AM

Thank you for the info. on the effects of development, it is informative, for what it is worth. I haven't the energy to argue anymore, so for the record, you win, I lose. It just doesn't really matter that much to me if you and I agree or not, so I quit. I am extemely supportive of the southern way of life, and please understand that I am well aware more than you know of the effects, both short and long term, that over developing has on things, and am gravely concerned with the environment and deforestation in all areas of the world (being that I am a liberal, gasp). I understand the concern, but people who want to move to the great state of SC can't be blamed for that. We are not all greedy, don't care about anybody else morons who are only concerned with ourselves. If I had to go out on a limb here, I would have to say that criticism of anybody who is not already a southerner and blatant arrogance and social elitism in the guise of wanting to keep your town small is a bit prejudicial. Stop with the "us against them" stuff. I am sure that Conway will survive if it has another non-native family move there. And please stop using what is genuine concern as fodder for rhetoric. A lot of small towns tend to develop into larger towns, and residents do tend to resist that. Even the small rural town in VT that I lived in for several years got a Wal Mart built, which was met with much understood protest. Enjoy your hometown.

Last edited by pvjd; 10-23-2007 at 06:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina