Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2024, 11:41 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 10 days ago)

727 posts, read 342,641 times

Advertisements

When I lived in the West Ashley suburb of Charleston, there used to be several frogs on my door when I got home. I'd have to knock them off.

The frogs , crickets and other insects were loud. The mosquitos were worse in Charleston than Greenville due to the swampy terrain down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2024, 01:02 PM

12,889 posts, read 18,741,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
Business owners on upper King St said it took police over 3 hours to respond to the rioting. King St is the "main street" in Charleston and should be one of the safest urban streets in the state.
The crowd was so thick the police could not have penetrated it without brute force. They would have needed a helicopter to get to the buildings where the calls were coming from. They were never told by anyone to just let it go and see how it turned out. There were no deaths. The police department learned that night that Charleston had become a city on the map for large national protests. They will be prepared in the future.

Old 01-21-2024, 01:12 PM

Quote:
When I lived in the West Ashley suburb of Charleston, there used to be several frogs on my door when I got home. I'd have to knock them off.

The frogs , crickets and other insects were loud. The mosquitos were worse in Charleston than Greenville due to the swampy terrain down there.
Charleston County keeps mosquitos in check most of the time, although there are times when eggs hatch in greater numbers and there’s a little wait for the county to catch up. They send notices. My bug spray works. I seldom see frogs. It depends on how low the area is. I’m at the highest elevation on James Island, which is a good idea anyway due to the obvious. I love the loud sounds of the swamps. My grandparents’ old house is slam up next to a huge swamp in southern Orangeburg County. I loved listening to it at night with the windows up as a young child.

Old 01-21-2024, 01:19 PM

About the political/conservative thing:

Today’s Post and Courier says, “Midlands Republicans were historically a mix of Upstate social conservatives and Lowcountry fiscal conservatives, said Scott Huffman, political science professor at Winthrop University.”

Old 01-21-2024, 01:21 PM

Right now, I would say only about 25 percent of Republicans in Greenville and Charleston are philosophical conservatives on fiscal, social and foreign policy, the kind of conservativism represented by Ron DeSantis. That seems to be the national trend as well. The country has moved sharply to the left since the 1980s.

The majority of SC Republicans seem mostly interested in economic development and want to serve corporations which tend to be socially liberal these days. Former governor Nikki Haley is an example of that and her base in the primary has been primarily Democrats switching over.

In my view, Trump is mostly conservative on foreign policy, taxes, energy, regulation but a liberal on spending, covid policy, immigration, crime, abortion and other social issues, even gun rights despite his campaign rhetoric. If SC is a bright red state as people claim, DeSantis would win it in a blowout but he likely would have finished a distant third even if he had remained in the race. Florida is well to the right of SC right now. That's the state I would move to if conservativism was my main reason for moving.

Many Republicans in SC are one issue voters, like gun rights.

You say Greenville is socially conservative but our libraries have hosted drag queen story hours and even Greenville First Baptist has hosted a drag queen story hour. Our libraries have books that social conservatives consider inappropriate for kids but there has been little pushback on it from Republican leaders. 22 years ago, First Baptist did a sermon pushing the global warming theory, kind of a modern version of fire and brimstone. This is the kind of stuff you expect in cities like San Fran and Portland, not a conservative area.

The country is likely to be a one party state within a decade. It is essentially a one party country now in my view given NC and Georgia are swing states.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 01-21-2024 at 02:05 PM..

Old 01-21-2024, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Business owners on upper King St said it took police over 3 hours to respond to the rioting. King St is the "main street" in Charleston and should be one of the safest urban streets in the state.
Per capita (per the average number of people on King Street at any given time), I’m sure King Street is one of the safest urban streets in the state.

Old 01-22-2024, 07:07 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,842,664 times
Quote:
In my view, Trump is. . . a liberal on . . . immigration

In case anyone wants to know the background/mindset of someone who thinks upstate South Carolina is not conservative.

Old 01-22-2024, 08:29 AM

Not sure how you can watch national news, see people streaming across the border and have your take. He didn't achieve his main promise but most Republicans in SC don't care. Most corporation oriented Republicans in SC are ok with open borders.

It will be easy to confirm what I said with his own quotes regarding amnesty that are on video, if you are open minded.

The companies I have worked for in Greenville have HR people who say things that conservatives don't agree with.

The newspapers all over the state have your views. Most of the universities have your views.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 01-22-2024 at 08:48 AM..

Old 01-22-2024, 09:25 AM

3,590 posts, read 4,351,036 times
I live in the suburbs of Charleston.

We have pest service that comes out maybe every 6 weeks and normally just treat around the outside of the house. This takes care of most insects in the house but from time to time when we leave the doors open something might crawl in which will result in a summons for me to take care of it. Frankly, you're going to have to get used to insects in the South.

The county sprays for mosquitos. Often how bad they are will depend on how warm the winter has been. There have been times I've payed for additional mosquito services and times I didn't feel it was necessary.

We have retaining ponds around the neighborhoods to capture additional rain run off during storms. It is typical during the warmer months that these will have an alligator in them. If you get a DNR tag to remove it, another will come in and take it's place. DNR typically doesn't try to remove them unless it is shown to be aggressive.

I think the Post and Courier had a series of voters across the different regions in the State:
Upstate:
https://www.postandcourier.com/polit...fb48c6644.html

Charleston and Beaufort:
https://www.postandcourier.com/polit...37f9021fd.html

Grand Strand/Pee Dee:
https://www.postandcourier.com/polit...10912059d.html

Midlands:
https://www.postandcourier.com/polit...bd90c9159.html

I believe anywhere you look in South Carolina, you'll find plenty of support for involvement and community support in religious activities. Being a Christian that has lived in different regional areas of SC, I would say the Midlands and Uplands tend to be more conservative in this area. The Christian coastal communities tend to be more of a live and let live feeling (not going to judge you if you're not Christian), but it doesn't change that the underlying base is still very strong.

Old 01-22-2024, 01:27 PM

On average, that’s how I see the state’s Lowcountry coastal religious people versus the rest of the state’s religious people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina