Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 05:18 PM

5,492 posts, read 8,343,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
And your choices are yours. If you mean being gay, I didn’t say eenie meenie minie mo and decide to go with the same sex over the opposite sex anymore than you did, assuming that’s not how you did it.
Noted. I have nothing. You're right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2024, 01:28 PM

12,956 posts, read 18,818,184 times
We need our share of immigrants.

https://www.carnegie.org/our-work/ar...tion-debunked/

Old 04-24-2024, 02:42 PM

5,492 posts, read 8,343,914 times
Quote:
As long as they come legally I agree. I don't think the border should just be open with no checks though. My fiancee is from another country. We're using the proper channels. Anything worthwhile isn't easy.

Old 04-24-2024, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
As long as they come legally I agree. I don't think the border should just be open with no checks though. My fiancee is from another country. We're using the proper channels. Anything worthwhile isn't easy.
Immigration needs/has to be fixed. The illegal aspects have been used politically. Immigrating takes a lot of work and wherewithal. Doing it legally is essential, but what “doing it legally” entails should be much easier.

Anyone caught trying to do it illegally should be stopped and taught how to do it legally, even in the form of helping them, step by step, to get it done and to come join our workforce. The same goes for those arriving in large groups at the border. Treating them as individuals on a case-by-case basis - helping them case by case to get legally processed or denied the privilege should be the law of the land.

Old 04-24-2024, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You have a point. There's actually a thread in the General U.S. forum that's currently discussing Charleston in this context.

This is true and it's interesting that the smaller towns of the Upstate have more of these historical associations (e.g., Abbeville, Clemson, Laurens). Greenville had some incidents in the 90s and 2000s that didn't paint the area in the best light but they are practically distant memories now that no one brings up in relation to its reputation today, which is mostly shaped by its downtown and how it has become a magnet for visitors and transplants.
The thread discussing Charleston in this context seems to have been deleted. Unless I can’t find it for looking for it, it disappeared after I chimed in, calling it the way I see it.

Old 04-25-2024, 08:00 AM

8,258 posts, read 13,405,298 times
Quote:
Immigration needs/has to be fixed. The illegal aspects have been used politically. Immigrating takes a lot of work and wherewithal. Doing it legally is essential, but what “doing it legally” entails should be much easier.

Anyone caught trying to do it illegally should be stopped and taught how to do it legally, even in the form of helping them, step by step, to get it done and to come join our workforce. The same goes for those arriving in large groups at the border. Treating them as individuals on a case-by-case basis - helping them case by case to get legally processed or denied the privilege should be the law of the land.
So part of the issue seems to be employers.. As long as employers are willing to employ people (legal or illegal), people will still come to the USA for work. I have met many people from Latin America and West Africa. Most, want to make a bunch of money and either send it home or save up and eventually go back home where they would be in a totally different income bracket. What gets in the way is usually political strife, crime and unrest makes going back untenable. I say that to say. when I have had major work done on my home.. Most of the workers other than the foreman that show up dont speak english. I dont know if they are legal or illegal but I am sure their employer does. The employers benefit from their employment and also support both republican and/or democrat candidates yet the issue persists.

Old 04-25-2024, 09:41 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 27 days ago)

757 posts, read 360,613 times
Quote:
I think the primary reason people oppose capping immigration is political, a desire to change the electorate. It has worked.

People are upset about traffic issues in every town that I have lived in but we will keep bringing in scores of more people, forever. The most important aspect of urban planning is improving or at least maintaining a quality of life. Policy that increases our commute times and strains our infrastructure isn't improving quality of life.

You complain about traffic and "sprawl" and ugly aesthetics all the time but your preferred policy contributes more to that than anything else. SOme percentage of immigrants are criminals and/or poor which makes the country more dangerous or puts more tax burden on Americans and forces us to spend more money on welfare rather than other things.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 04-25-2024 at 09:54 AM..

Old 04-25-2024, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
I think the primary reason people oppose capping immigration is political, a desire to change the electorate. It has worked.

People are upset about traffic issues in every town that I have lived in but we will keep bringing in scores of more people, forever. The most important aspect of urban planning is improving or at least maintaining a quality of life. Policy that increases our commute times and strains our infrastructure isn't improving quality of life.

You complain about traffic and "sprawl" and ugly aesthetics all the time but your preferred policy contributes more to that than anything else. SOme percentage of immigrants are criminals and/or poor which makes the country more dangerous or puts more tax burden on Americans and forces us to spend more money on welfare rather than other things.
No need going around and around in circles with a poster who is not getting what I’m saying.

Old 04-26-2024, 06:20 AM

8,258 posts, read 13,405,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post

On that point.. if I were an illegal immigrant.. My primary objective wouldnt be to go vote somewhere. I would imagine that various states have requirements to register. Those states that are concerned about what you described would likely enact laws to make it more difficult.. Those who want to make it easy.. would do so. I dont want to generalize but I am sure those states would be divided up based on their current political landscape on the issue.

Secondly, many immigrants ...legal and otherwise are fleeing oppressive governments, would that make them more liberal or conservative? Big Government or Small Government inclinations? Some of their governments regulate everything in their daily lives.. which is problematic. In others the government doesnt exist and neither do basic services, infrastructure and law enforcement (that keeps them safe).

So it would appear that this population depending on the above could be up for grabs ...politically. The Cubans in South Florida..from what I have seen... have been more conservative... maybe the are more liberal in other areas but histoically have voted GOP? I know West Africans that run small businesses and they have voted GOP up until Trump's first term.. In fact many idolized him for his Type A, billionaire, businessman persona. Outside of being a Doctor, Lawyer, Engineer as idolized careers.....the default for many is being a Businessowner and hate oppressive taxes and government overeach.. base on previous poltical climate and government corruption.

Whether immigration is driving sprawl.. I think the local governments can put their thumb on the scale via zoning and development approval.. They can restrict it.. or heap hefty impact fees that make development cost prohibitive. That has other implications.. but ultimately developers, local governments, and good ole american capitalism drives sprawl.. In SC case.. lots of land make it even more desirable...Maybe immigration is driving in in Say Tuscon, Phoenix, Denver? But in Charleston? IDK

Old 04-26-2024, 07:52 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 27 days ago)

757 posts, read 360,613 times
I'm not saying immigrants are primarily driving sprawl, only that sprawl and traffic will continue to increase without capping immigration.

We are already being hammered with transplants from other regions of this country.

We could make exceptions for legit asylum cases or a need for people with specialized knowledge in scientific fields.

Majority of the immigrants vote a certain way. If they voted conservative, immigration likely capped decades ago plus a robust wall would have gone up

Last edited by LakeMan45; 04-26-2024 at 08:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina