Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 08:17 AM

4 posts, read 21,873 times

Advertisements

Last year I almost moved to Aiken from California, but circumstances postponed the move. Now am thinking about it again and would be interested to hear from anyone who has relocated there.
I'm a single woman in my fifties, self employed, and have been connected to the horse business my entire life. I meet people fairly readily and met quite a few last year. I know a lot of people are moving to Aiken, met lots of them when I was there, and everyone was very positive about the move. Would love to hear from people who are in similar circumstances to me and have moved there, and how it went; are you isolated not being around your old friends and family or have you gained an entire new community? Was it the right thing to do?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 03:23 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,226,172 times
If you don't need to work outside of the home Aiken is a great place. If you need to work it might not be the right place. I do equine massage and could not give it away in Aiken. While there are some horse people from other parts of the country the majority are pretty old school in their thinking.

I met some combined training folks, some polo people, and some folks who field hunt. All of the horse people that I met were great. I have a background in hunter/jumper where people can be *ahem* stuffy/shallow/mean. I didn't find any mean people there.

Aside from that I loved taking my dog for hikes in The Hitchcock Woods and canoing at The Aiken State Natural Area. In the summer we took the dog to Langley Pond to swim or we went to Richardson Lake Park without the dog.

I moved there in 2005. My husband dragged me away kicking & screaming.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:36 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,604 times
Aiken is a very nice town. It is very typical of college towns, it is quite Liberal, and has a sizeable gay population, lots of Californians already call the area home. Everything that you would need is right there in town. I lived in Aiken county for most of my life, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, and was heartbroken when I had to move.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:39 AM

53 posts, read 338,156 times
I don't know what town you're talking about, maybe compared to South Carolina, but I definately would not call Aiken liberal!

Old 10-28-2008, 06:09 AM

14 posts, read 45,639 times
Aiken is certainly not liberal....very conservative. Frankie must be thinking of another town

Old 10-29-2008, 07:34 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Aiken is a very nice town. It is very typical of college towns, it is quite Liberal, and has a sizeable gay population, lots of Californians already call the area home. Everything that you would need is right there in town. I lived in Aiken county for most of my life, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, and was heartbroken when I had to move.
Sizable gay population my foot! You can fit almost all of Aiken's "Gay" population in one nightclub.
Id never call it liberal either...you sure it was Aiken you lived in?

Old 10-30-2008, 06:15 AM

765 posts, read 1,910,339 times
If all of Aikens gay population were to go to the bar they could take one car.. LOL .. Who is this guy trying to kid.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:53 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,028,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvislives View Post
If all of Aikens gay population were to go to the bar they could take one car.. LOL .. Who is this guy trying to kid.
Just another example of somebody not knowing what they're talking about.
Nah, they wouldnt all fit in one car. You been to the Marlboro Station? There's more than you think, but Id hardly call it a "large" population.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:09 AM

1 posts, read 5,775 times
I moved from NY to Aiken SC and let me tell you something...Aiken is the armpit of the South! The people still revisit the civil war (get over it you lost) and are very prejudice against northerners. They have hate stickers on their cars (a good northerner is a north bound one) and this is why some of them are considered ignorant! With so much going on in this world, you would think there would be other positive things to focus on. Their mall is small and other then a putt putt golf there is nothing to do for miles. I would count your blessings you didn't move there yet!

Old 07-13-2010, 04:26 PM

362 posts, read 1,502,366 times
I moved here from Detroit almost 3 years ago and have NEVER seen prejudice against the northerners -- unless the northerners bring it on themselves FIRST; i.e. "they have (fill in the blank) where I'm from". Northerners are NEVER going to change the south, so they (northerners) might as well build a bridge and get over it!

I love my new adopted home and wouldn't trade it for the world. If you decide to move from California, you will be in for a culture shock (in a good way) so just do your homework and be prepared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina