Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 07:42 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,825,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesamom5 View Post
I moved from NY to Aiken SC and let me tell you something...Aiken is the armpit of the South!
Haha, that's funny, did you think that up all by yourself? Then again, you've got the background to know about living in armpits, don't you. "A good northerner is a north bound one?" Don't know 'bout that, but I'm bettin' it was a few NY attitudes that led to that sticker being printed. The funniest part? You calling Southerners ignorant while not being smart enough to figure out the same road that brought you here will take you right back to the paradise where you came from. I'm sure Aiken would suffer without you, but maybe they can make it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 08:04 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,897 times
I have family going to retire moving down to aiken (possibly for a job..so not really retiring)..I am thinking that aiken is just going to be "theres just not much to do". Would you say augusta would be a better bet and then work in aiken. Looking for the upscale areas to live in august while commuting to aiken.

thoughts ,comments?

Old 07-18-2010, 03:28 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,316,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
I have family going to retire moving down to aiken (possibly for a job..so not really retiring)..I am thinking that aiken is just going to be "theres just not much to do". Would you say augusta would be a better bet and then work in aiken. Looking for the upscale areas to live in august while commuting to aiken.

thoughts ,comments?
We live in Aiken and like it a lot. And we find things to do!
Augusta being nearby, it's not hard to get there whenever we want to go out, if what we are looking for cannot be found in Aiken.
I wouldn't live in Augusta, I don't think I would feel as safe there as I do here.
(FYI, we're far from retirement age, and expecting a baby)

Old 01-28-2011, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,086 times
Default I love Aiken

I moved from NY to Aiken SC and let me tell you something...Aiken is the armpit of the South! The people still revisit the civil war (get over it you lost) and are very prejudice against northerners. They have hate stickers on their cars (a good northerner is a north bound one) and this is why some of them are considered ignorant! With so much going on in this world, you would think there would be other positive things to focus on. Their mall is small and other then a putt putt golf there is nothing to do for miles. I would count your blessings you didn't move there yet!

The post above is clearly someone who has brought it on themselves. I have lived in 11 states and Aiken, SC is fantastic. Big rolling hills, horse farms, unique outdoor dining in an old fashioned downtown. All of this and you just 2 hours from Atlanta. And yeah the mall is small!! So is the crime rate Mr. N.Y.

Delta is ready when you are...........

Old 01-30-2011, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,059 times
Hi, I am from PA and I am married and have two children ages 12 and 8. My son is an avid soccer player. We have been wanting to move South for the past 10 years. We are planning a visit to Aiken the first of March to decide if it's an area we would like to live in. For those of you saying that Southerners are ignorant, ignorance spills out of the mouth of those who judge others. I have lived my entire life in PA and have always wished that I grew up in the South. I love their history, values, lifestyle, and hospitality!
We are looking for the best schools in the area so if anyone that lives in the Aiken area could give us some insight we would sure be grateful...Thank you, Northern girl wants to be Southern, always have.

Old 01-31-2011, 08:01 AM

1,143 posts, read 2,872,764 times
Hey SouthernGirl. Aiken is nice but when you come for a visit you might want to check out other areas of the state as well. You may find that either the coast or Upstate fit your family needs better. I'd recommend a little road trip down to CHarleston and through Mt. Pleasant. You can work your way through the state to Aiken and then bounce to the Upstate and Greenville area (be sure to check out Traveler's Rest). Whatever you choose, hopefully your move will be great for your family. Good luck!

Old 02-29-2024, 02:16 AM

1 posts, read 281 times
Thinking about moving to Aiken for work purposes been overseas contracting 20 years I am in my late 40's, lived and worked in a military and contracting environment.

Trying to figure will it be worth the move.

what do you mean culture shock?

Old 03-04-2024, 06:59 AM

301 posts, read 176,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardhill View Post
Thinking about moving to Aiken for work purposes been overseas contracting 20 years I am in my late 40's, lived and worked in a military and contracting environment.

Trying to figure will it be worth the move.

what do you mean culture shock?
I'm currently in Aiken for a visit. It has everything, just about. I must say though, Augusta GA is an ugly city. There's no culture shock here, unless you're in one of the cheap poor areas. I recommend landing a job or feeling confident about a job before coming. The price of homes aren't as cheap as they seem. Edgefield is a pretty county if you want a home more in the country. The counties south of Aiken are depressing and decaying.

Old 03-04-2024, 08:49 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 9 days ago)

721 posts, read 341,550 times
Typically when people say there is a culture shock moving to a SC city, they mean it is conservative area and they moved from a blue metro.

Aiken may be the most visually appealing downtown that I have seen due to all the trees and no corporate buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina