Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 03:29 PM

1,290 posts, read 792,817 times

Advertisements

It is interesting to me the same group of people who wanted to impose lockdowns, masks, and vaccines on people to include women also present their stance on abortion as a freedom based one and the premise it is "the woman's body". What makes abortion controversial is it is a person inside of another person.

The heavy handed covid policy supporters included a lot of old "geriatric" people like Joe. Health policy that might make sense for somebody in Joe's shape was forced on young people including young women across the country. There have been young people who have died from the vaccines or had serious issues with them.

It was only some Republicans and the occasional Democrat like Kyrie Irving speaking up for the civil rights of everybody including women and minorities, regarding lockdowns, masking and vaccines. Most people are not going to have an abortion situation but everybody will be dealing with covid and infectious disease policies.

For the rest of our lives, we will be dealing with "geriatric" people trying to control our bodies because of covid, pretending the risk is the same for everybody regardless of age or health.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 09-12-2022 at 04:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2022, 04:47 PM

17,690 posts, read 15,410,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
So the proof would be scientific.

You mentioned that most other countries including European countries have (time) restrictions on abortions and that made me wonder what it is here in Greece (not Italy). I was wondering aloud. To be honest I’m not sure what countries don’t have abortion time restrictions.

As an expat I don’t know why it’s so difficult for you to grasp how I’m still very much involved in what goes on in my birth country and state I lived in most of my life. It’s not like the imaginary lines that form countries prohibits me from exercising an interest beyond them lol Considering I still vote and am an American citizen, that’s why I’m interested in things back home.

Well.. You apparently never followed up to find out what it is there in Greece, unless I missed it in here somewhere..
s

Answer - For the most part.. 12 weeks. With other exceptions for threat to the life of the mother (Basically no limit) or 19 weeks in case of rape/incest.. Up to 24 weeks on fetal abnormalities.. So, I presume that means Downs Syndrome and the like.

This.. Isn't something I'd disagree with. I look at abortion as a necessary evil. I'd love it if it weren't needed, but.. It is. My thing is that I don't want to see people use it as birth control.

FWIW.. Basically, 12 weeks is first trimester. That.. you'll find is pretty standard. It seems that many of the people arguing are not happy with 12 weeks and want more. There are some who call for unrestricted abortion up until the moment of birth. Yes, there are people who say that... Usually a pretty small minority.

Oh, and Greece requires it be done by an Ob/Gyn.. Usually done under anesthesia.

I suspect that things will remain much the same. They'll compromise on 12 weeks and a whole lot of time, money and hand-wringing will have been wasted.

But, there's misconceptions all around.. The UK thinks overturning Roe made abortion illegal throughout the US.. Which isn't true. It returns the issue to the states, which.. In a way is where it should have remained.. However.. I would actually support a national 12 week law. Ok before 12, not after, with exceptions just to have standards. It's BS to me that someone would have to drive to another state with different laws. Make them the same nationwide via legislation.

Old 09-12-2022, 05:41 PM

Labonte describes it as a necessary evil but he would not have it done to him. He would be the master but not the slave.

To say he doesn't want it used as birth control is silly , that's the whole point of the procedure. It's like saying you don't want to see a car used for driving.

He's another example of a 60 plus man who is cool with abortion. Carolinachaos described prolifers as geriatric, does he use the same word for Labonte and Johngolf. I suspect the prolife Republican men in our state Congress are younger.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 09-12-2022 at 06:16 PM..

Old 09-12-2022, 06:58 PM

For the pro choicers on here other than Labonte, do you agree with him that the unborn baby is alive and abortion is evil?

In terms of persuasion, I don't think it works to associate your position with evil. Most people don't want to feel like Darth Vader.

I feel like you might be better off arguing the baby is not alive even if you don't believe that. It feels like he said the quiet part out loud

Old 09-12-2022, 09:43 PM

640 posts, read 333,566 times
It's why championing leaving it to The People or The States is such a farce. The people who have rigged the system enough to stay in power are going to say that they should make the decision for The People because The People elected the politicians to represent them. Then you've got instances like what happened in a midwestern state recently, where 3/4 of a million people signed petitions to get the abortion issue on the ballot this November, and then two GOP members of the board that certifies those things tried to prevent it, only being overruled at the end of last week by that state's Supreme Court. A lot of the Anti Choice crowd seems to be angry about two of their own not being able to keep The People from having a say, seeing it as a loss. The People across the country aren't making a decision on the abortion issue, a handful of people are, whether anyone wants the same thing as them or not.

Old 09-13-2022, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
The most passionate pro lifers tend to be mothers.
They also tend to be the ones getting abortions. Mothers, that is; the majority of women who have an abortion already have children. People can be passionate in their belief that abortion is wrong, until they need one: https://joycearthur.com/abortion/the...s-my-abortion/

Old 09-13-2022, 04:59 AM

lol, and like I said, the whole “tHe sTaTeS sHoUlD dEcIdE” thing is a farce. Our own Lindsey Graham and other Senate Republicans are planning to introduce a national ban on abortions over 15 weeks.

Old 09-13-2022, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYEL1NER View Post
They also tend to be the ones getting abortions. Mothers, that is; the majority of women who have an abortion already have children. People can be passionate in their belief that abortion is wrong, until they need one: https://joycearthur.com/abortion/the...s-my-abortion/
You are passionate about abortion being performed in other people but would not volunteer for a similar procedure.

A hypocrisy angle is hard for you to make given you are here because your parents did not abort you.

Also keep in mind many women are intimidated by the father to get the abortion. There are a lot of guys who use women for a good time and have no commitment to them. They tell the women it is a necessary evil.

The best thing any woman can do to stick it to sexist males is be pro life.

Old 09-13-2022, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
You are passionate about abortion being performed in other people but would not volunteer for a similar procedure.

A hypocrisy angle is hard for you to make given you are here because your parents did not abort you.

Also keep in mind many women are intimidated by the father to get the abortion. There are a lot of guys who use women for a good time and have no commitment to them. They tell the women it is a necessary evil.

The best thing any woman can do to stick it to sexist males is be pro life.
And what pray tell is a procedure for men that is in any way similar to an abortion?
Why should any woman be going out of their way to “stick it” to sexist men, or anyone for that matter? Everyone would do better to mind their own business (and their own bodies).

Old 09-13-2022, 08:07 AM

I'm not saying there is a procedure. I'm saying one could be designed for us that is similar to what happens to the unborn baby in abortion. Nobody in their right mind would sign up for it.

The unborn baby is not the woman's body. That's what makes it controversial.

Keep in mind most pro choice men also supported the authoritarian approach to covid. They have no problem controlling what goes on and in a woman's body. A person like Labonte struggled with people simply expressing civil rights based arguments in covid discussions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
View detailed profiles of: