Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 07:43 PM

1,124 posts, read 924,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Is this the official census count for cities? It has been so complicated that I don’t know when or what or how many.

2020 -
Charleston 139,714
Columbia 132,130
Swansea 986

Do we need to know any more?

https://www.census.gov/programs-surv...wns-total.html
Estimates, says it at the top of the pay next to the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2021, 08:11 PM

12,889 posts, read 18,741,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Estimates, says it at the top of the pay next to the year.
Okay. Never knew they did estimates for the same year as the official count. I read the other day that by August 15th they would release figures that will tell the population down to the municipality and census tract. But still, the simple “official results of the 2020 census” with the official census-tallied populations of cities and towns eludes us.

Old 08-06-2021, 05:12 AM

1,124 posts, read 924,965 times
Quote:
Is this the official census count for cities? It has been so complicated that I don’t know when or what or how many.

2020 -
Charleston 139,714
Columbia 132,130
Swansea 986

Do we need to know any more?

https://www.census.gov/programs-surv...wns-total.html
Quote:
Okay. Never knew they did estimates for the same year as the official count. I read the other day that by August 15th they would release figures that will tell the population down to the municipality and census tract. But still, the simple “official results of the 2020 census” with the official census-tallied populations of cities and towns eludes us.
I thought it was September, but who knows anymore.

Old 08-06-2021, 10:11 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,955,582 times
Just got an E-mail saying that local level results will release August 12th, not sure what local results those are but hopefully it's county if not city.

Old 08-07-2021, 11:23 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times
It's an annual complaint, but its hard for me to get into any city numbers considering how jacked up SC city limits are, especially compared to NC. Even metro needs fixing. County I'd prefer to see and is more interesting. Speaking of, Lexington should be hitting the 300K milestone.

Old 08-07-2021, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
It's an annual complaint, but its hard for me to get into any city numbers considering how jacked up SC city limits are, especially compared to NC. Even metro needs fixing. County I'd prefer to see and is more interesting. Speaking of, Lexington should be hitting the 300K milestone.
I’m pretty much the opposite. City boundaries at least are more indicative of what makes a place a city or an urban place, more so than counties that contain geographically large rural areas with people who pretty much have nothing to do with the city or in many cases even hate the city and let everyone know it on Facebook but just happen to be in the metropolitan statistical area. And the average Joe who reads an article that says a certain city is the largest in the state doesn’t say yes, but if you include Mount Pleasant or North Charleston or West Columbia or Forest Acres or unincorporated Richland County or the part of James Island that’s not in the Charleston city limits or Folly Beach or the part of Irmo that’s in Richland County or… The title of being the largest city does carry clout. If the official numbers crown Columbia as that city, so be it.

Old 08-07-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I’m pretty much the opposite. City boundaries at least are more indicative of what makes a place a city or an urban place, more so than counties that contain geographically large rural areas with people who pretty much have nothing to do with the city or in many cases even hate the city and let everyone know it on Facebook but just happen to be in the metropolitan statistical area. And the average Joe who reads an article that says a certain city is the largest in the state doesn’t say yes, but if you include Mount Pleasant or North Charleston or West Columbia or Forest Acres or unincorporated Richland County or the part of James Island that’s not in the Charleston city limits or Folly Beach or the part of Irmo that’s in Richland County or… The title of being the largest city does carry clout. If the official numbers crown Columbia as that city, so be it.
Well its hard to feel that way for me when so many people with [insert city] addresses are left out. There's like ~100,000 "Columbia" people who aren't considered apart of Columbia. And anyone whos ever seen Greenville knows its not a quaint city of 70,000 people. And Charleston's donut holes is just hilarious.

Sure its still more accurate for "urban" populations than measuring the whole county, but it's still too jacked up for my taste. Florida cities suffers the same fate except for Jax, which has the same issue but in reverse. GA cities seems to be a mix. NC lets their cities annex on steroids. VA doesn't care in the slightest.

As for whats "largest", I personally dont care. Regardless of whos #1 on paper, all 3 are basically the same size in real life. Columbia, Charleston, Greenville, don't think most people really care that much.

And when it comes to "#1 clout", on paper Jacksonville is 2x larger than Miami, but even people who have never been to Florida can tell you that Jax is not "the city" of Florida. It's not even #2...or #3...even #4 is debatable. Dont think anyone is giving San Jose more clout than SF either.

Old 08-07-2021, 09:13 PM

Since the census provides cities’ population totals, it must matter if for no reason other than that some get a little charge out of it or a little tinge of envy when a city is called “the state’s largest city.” Why are those words ever written or spoken if they mean nothing? Why is the population even counted and why does the Census Bureau even bother to list cities and not just counties or MSAs by population? When a Jacksonvillian reads or hears their city called Florida’s largest city, they can say “Take that, Miami, Orlando, Tampa, etc.,” and enjoy knowing that some population-nerd residents of those other cities are reading or hearing those words. Silly? Not entirely.

Old 08-07-2021, 10:21 PM

5,487 posts, read 8,317,620 times
I agree with Jandrew. If you go by city limit population Charlotte is larger than Atlanta too and by a decent margin. But anyone familiar with both cities knows better. Atlanta swallows Charlotte.

Old 08-08-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Since the census provides cities’ population totals, it must matter if for no reason other than that some get a little charge out of it or a little tinge of envy when a city is called “the state’s largest city.” Why are those words ever written or spoken if they mean nothing? Why is the population even counted and why does the Census Bureau even bother to list cities and not just counties or MSAs by population? and enjoy knowing that some population-nerd residents of those other cities are reading or hearing those words. Silly? Not entirely.
Come on, don't be obtuse. Obviously city populations matter and obviously they mean something. I never said it was pointless...

But again, for comparison purposes, too inaccurate for me. Miami is not a city of 470k people, it's really over 1 million. Tampa is not a city of 400k, try 800k+. Atlanta is clearly not smaller than El Paso, Albuquerque, Mesa, and Tuscon...you dont even need to be a "stats nerd" to see that.

Greenville is not the 21st largest city in the Carolinas, more like the 3rd-4th. Charleston has too many donut holes. Nashville and Jacksonville are bloated are not as big as they appear on paper. Charlotte has ballooned. Spartanburg hasn't seen any real pop growth since the 1960s, yet we're all aware it's actually growing and growing fast.

City limits give a good idea, but should not be taken seriously for general comparison. Miami is the still "the" city of FL regardless of Jax being #1 on paper. Cleveland is still arguably "the" city Ohio, regardless of Columbus being #1. San Fran is still the #2 city of CA regardless of being #4 on paper. Dallas and Houston hold similar weight despite Houston having a million more people in the city. Huntsville is about to pass Birmingham in population, but Bham still is clearly "the" city of Alabama.

Doesn't matter who the census says is #1, Charleston or Columbia, though I'm sure it'll be Charletson. Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville all carry basically the same weight. Jacksonville being #1 in Florida alone invalidates this being something to brag about. Hell the Fort Myers airport gets more traffic than Jacksonville does and Fort Myers city limits doesn't even have 90k people.

I think people who want to visit or move to Columbia will do so. Same with Charleston. Same with Greenville. I don't think being "South Carolina's largest city" really holds any weight or bragging rights when there is no clear alpha city in SC like GA, LA, CO, etc. But that's just me.

Quote:
When a Jacksonvillian reads or hears their city called Florida’s largest city, they can say “Take that, Miami, Orlando, Tampa, etc.,”
I can assure you no one in Jax really believes they are #1 in Florida. They do not brag about it because they know better. To Floridians, Miami is and always will be #1. South Florida is massive. Jax, is not. Ask 10 Floridians what the largest city in Florida is, 9 will say Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina