Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 12:47 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,885,116 times

Advertisements

I would say summerville. Lots of mew houses for aorund 200k. One of the best school districts in the state. Dochester 2. And 30 to 45 mins from the beaches. Depending on traffic that is. If you have to drive in charleston in the am traffic is somewhat a pain but depending where you from it prolly wouldnt be bad to you. If you are not use to traffic then it will be horrible to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2016, 01:24 PM

284 posts, read 271,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
I would say summerville. Lots of mew houses for aorund 200k. One of the best school districts in the state. Dochester 2. And 30 to 45 mins from the beaches. Depending on traffic that is. If you have to drive in charleston in the am traffic is somewhat a pain but depending where you from it prolly wouldnt be bad to you. If you are not use to traffic then it will be horrible to you
Day to day I'm not used to traffic. I live 2 minutes from work. I'm spoiled that way. How's Summerville job wise? Is it family friendly and a lot of things to do? It really seems like SC doesn't have too many low rated schools. When I was looking in TN, there seemed to be a lot more low rated schools

Old 06-13-2016, 01:25 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,459,920 times
The west Florence area is one of the safest in the state, and you can get a lot of bang for your buck on housing. It isn't close to the bad areas of town.

Simpsonville is a nice area too, and closer to more shopping than west Florence. Florence's retail scene would be good enough for many people though.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
The west Florence area is one of the safest in the state, and you can get a lot of bang for your buck on housing. It isn't close to the bad areas of town.

Simpsonville is a nice area too, and closer to more shopping than west Florence.
If you had to choose based on overall quality of life, which town would you choose? My kids having things to do is very important to me. I'm in small town now and we have to go either 30 min- 1 hour to do any fun things, and even so there's not much.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenleex View Post
If you had to choose based on overall quality of life, which town would you choose? My kids having things to do is very important to me. I'm in small town now and we have to go either 30 min- 1 hour to do any fun things, and even so there's not much.
Well first thing is decide if you want to be closer to beach or mountains. do your kids have a preference?

In my view, the Simpsonville - Greenville area is better place to live due to the proxmity of the mountains, and I would have preferred to live here as a kid. But a lot of people and kids love the beach.

Florence will be better if you don't like traffic. Sville and Greenville has more traffic but it isn't that bad especially if you don't live in the Five Forks area of Simpsonville.

If you like a happening downtown, Greenville, 15 minutes from Sville, has a great one with a sizable waterfall right on a tree lined Main Street. The waterfall has a massive pediastrian bridge over it. There are about 100 restaurants downtown. Sville has a small nice looking downtown with a few restaurants, and one of the busiest icecream places that I've seen.

Florence downtown doesn't have much.

You can find nice neighborhoods in both Florence and Greenville / Simpsonville.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:04 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,885,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenleex View Post
Day to day I'm not used to traffic. I live 2 minutes from work. I'm spoiled that way. How's Summerville job wise? Is it family friendly and a lot of things to do? It really seems like SC doesn't have too many low rated schools. When I was looking in TN, there seemed to be a lot more low rated schools
Jobs are popping up all over the place. Bo matter what your feild is. I would get the job thing going first but there are alot of bad schools in sc. Alot of good ones also. Just depends on area. But summerville is very family friendly. Although its growning very fast because of charleston you still have a peice of mind there

Old 06-14-2016, 06:15 AM

Is there a major city that florence is close to? We have a walmart and shoprite.where I live but shopping is about 35 minutes away. Our.downtown is about 2 restaurants and a theater. I'm not used to living close to downtown but I think I'd rather be close.to a nice.downtown. I want to be able to.walk to places. Background on me if that helps:
We bought our.townhouse because it was.a.foreclosure.and its.cheaper than renting.
My husband wants land and most places are.very expensive around here for land and the town.just had.a.reassessment and some people's taxes went up.tremendously- I'm talking 4k a year more than they were.used to. Statistic wise, we are not.in a great county. The neighboring county has the good schools HOW EVER they have astronomical taxes. My cousin plans manager pay over 10k now for the same district. They have about 2k Sq ft houses. My cousin has about an acre of land. Th schools in the neighboring county has most schooos.rated above a 5.. with the more expensive places being excellent (I grew up going to one of the excellent schools) the district I'm in... the BEST it gets is a 5 and that's the HS I believe. There's a very high dropout rate and statistically there is a 30% poverty rate give or take. Generations upon generations of living on ssi.. we have 2 section 8 apartment buildings. Even though they say the way kids.turn out is the way YOU make them, I think my kids have a better chance of being around more kids and families.with values like ours. Half of her class here.will just not graduate. It's very sad. There is no sense of community around here. The median income for my town in NY is less than the median income for probably most SC towns... around 18k. We.don't belong here and we're really just trying to funderstand home... we.live surrounded by mountains and to be honest, this might be more.my cup.of tea. While we love going on vacation to the beach, idk if it's 100% what we're after. I'm willing to try anything though. I just want to live in a good town with good schools, values, and a.good quality of life.

Now that I've written an essay... lok

Old 06-14-2016, 06:24 AM
Status: "Without data, it's just an opinion." (set 25 days ago)

5,772 posts, read 4,775,621 times
Columbia is closest to Florence. I stand by my suggestion of the big three. Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville. Any of the three will provide better school options. Land not far from the city is available, although much more expensive around Charleston.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Columbia is closest to Florence. I stand by my suggestion of the big three. Charleston, Columbia, and Greenville. Any of the three will provide better school options. Land not far from the city is available, although much more expensive around Charleston.
I think I did notice Charleston was more expensive. I guess I can't really go wrong with any of the 3. We will most likely be making a trip down possibly in November but I wanted to narrow this trip down to one area. I think we'll check out Greenville

Old 06-14-2016, 08:49 AM

There is nothing wrong with west Florence or south Florence schools. Physicians, lawyers, engineers, etc send their kids to these schools.

They offer Advanced Placement classes that students can earn college credit for, starting in junior year in high school.

FLorence has plenty of shopping. It has a mall and most big box stores and plenty of restaurants. There would be no reason to go to Columbia that I can see. Mrytle Beach also has outlet stores and a large mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina