Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2020, 10:24 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Probably good for everyone. Their new location has more visibility and looks more like a tire store. Plus, the old location is prime for development. Especially with the apartments and retail strip just built across the street. That’s a nice corner lot with plenty of potential.
Yes, I agree with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 10:27 AM

I also noticed today that C. Anthony's Menswear is going out of business. I saw the signs in the window on the Liberty street side. I'm guessing another casualty of the on going pandemic.

Old 07-18-2020, 04:01 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I also noticed today that C. Anthony's Menswear is going out of business. I saw the signs in the window on the Liberty street side. I'm guessing another casualty of the on going pandemic.
Let's see what goes on there next. It always struck me as a nice place for a coffee shop or cafe with outdoor seating especially with the brewery across the street.

Old 07-18-2020, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Let's see what goes on there next. It always struck me as a nice place for a coffee shop or cafe with outdoor seating especially with the brewery across the street.

Old 07-18-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I agree, that's a nice spot there.

Old 07-19-2020, 11:34 AM

143 posts, read 179,780 times
Since developments are a little (well very) slow due to the COVID and subsequent economic concerns, I thought I would throw a topic of discussion out to ya'll just for fun. I don't want this to turn too political but would rather focus on the facts as reported and speculate on the possible outcome.

The fact is that, according to the media, many residents and businesses are leaving large cities due to policies that have not been well received by many. Again, not getting political but what is reported is that due to increase and spikes in crime, shootings, defunding of police initiatives, higher taxes and poorer schools and services and the like, small businesses and residents are saying they have had it and voting with their feet to leave major cities for the suburbs.

So my discussion question is: Will small cities like Sumter, Florence, Orangeburg and possibly Camden see an increase of people desiring a fresh start away from the traffic and volatility of major metros or are the reports just anecdotal examples and we don't see a migration to suburbs and minor cities?

I see nothing wrong with speculating so feel free to speak your mind.

Old 07-19-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtnr View Post
Since developments are a little (well very) slow due to the COVID and subsequent economic concerns, I thought I would throw a topic of discussion out to ya'll just for fun. I don't want this to turn too political but would rather focus on the facts as reported and speculate on the possible outcome.

The fact is that, according to the media, many residents and businesses are leaving large cities due to policies that have not been well received by many. Again, not getting political but what is reported is that due to increase and spikes in crime, shootings, defunding of police initiatives, higher taxes and poorer schools and services and the like, small businesses and residents are saying they have had it and voting with their feet to leave major cities for the suburbs.

So my discussion question is: Will small cities like Sumter, Florence, Orangeburg and possibly Camden see an increase of people desiring a fresh start away from the traffic and volatility of major metros or are the reports just anecdotal examples and we don't see a migration to suburbs and minor cities?

I see nothing wrong with speculating so feel free to speak your mind.
That's probably one of those wait and see situations. I believe people who are used to big metro life, still probably would seek a smaller town or city that meets most of what they are used to. All of South Carolina major metros are small compared to other major cities, and to many they see our three major metros as small towns, so they would probably go to those areas first. If you don't have the jobs or infrastructure to support a population influx, it wont be happening. The economy isn't the best right now, and Sumter don't have the jobs in this county to support a lot of new people, or well enough paying jobs they are used to.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:18 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times
I see a push to suburban life but still within a decent commute to the city center. Sumter is on the fringe of a decent commute to Columbia. Camden and Newberry have a better chance at what you’re suggesting.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:07 PM

[quote=Iam4USC;58699957]I see a push to suburban life but still within a decent commute to the city center. Sumter is on the fringe of a decent commute to Columbia. Camden and Newberry have a better chance at what you’re suggesting.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that.

Old 07-21-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
I see a push to suburban life but still within a decent commute to the city center. Sumter is on the fringe of a decent commute to Columbia. Camden and Newberry have a better chance at what you’re suggesting.
I can agree in theory on IF one wanted to move out of Columbia over these types of concerns..Camden, Newberry and Lexington would likely be the beneficiaries. That said, "defund" would likely impact mostly major cities (not SC Cities per se) and even then likely only urbanites with kids whom may have been likely to move out of the city over schools, crime, and possibly housing cost anyway once the lure of the bars wear off and kids become school age.

On the issue of Defund... seems to me that this is a local issue... If your mayor and city council talk about defunding the police.. the locals can mobalize vote them out .. Even if they get away with it.. there will be another budget process next year where things could in theory be restored. The opposite is true as well.. if you want to defund the police and your local elected officials don't or there are ideas of what that looks like... you have the right to mobilize and pressure them to do so, vote them out etc.

Unlike state and federal budget conversations.. Local government budget hearing processes are very public and usually end in a public hearing.. So.. the fear of a city somehow defunding the police seems to be the one issue that most voters truly have the ability to influence....If the police are defunded then the residents even if just a plurality are somewhat complicit as they have direct connections with their city council reps and Mayors. So it is certainly a national conversation but the solution in at the local level. What "defund" looks like in Chicago and what "defund" looks like say Sumter is entirely up to those respective cities and its residents... Just my two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina