Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 12:58 PM

2,208 posts, read 2,149,693 times

Advertisements

The USWNT is off to New Zealand and Australia for the World Cup. As two-time defending champion, they are trying for the first "three=peat" in the sport. But it will not be easy. In addition to the top other teams in FIFA, the US suffered two huge injuries this year with their best scorer and best defender being out (Mal Pugh Swanson and Becky Sauerbrunn). While the drop off from Mal Swanson to her replacements might not be severe, the drop off in BS's defense is massive. 2nd year sensation Naomi Girma looks solid, but she is 22 and made her international debut on April 12, 2022. She has virtually no experience at this level of competition and with the grueling schedule of a one month tournament. To be honest, I do not see another USWNT win. England, Spain, Germany, and France all seem better than the US. I am hopeful and will be making the trip over for the late knockout and championship, but I think that I will be lucky to see the US playing. Betting has shifted toward England recently outside the US. Here of course betting is heavily on the US. Not sure if there are many WoSo fans, but it should be a great tournament.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2023, 03:05 PM

2,388 posts, read 1,560,434 times
Looking forward to it

Old 07-20-2023, 06:52 AM

The host countries each got off to a good start, with New Zealand topping Norway 1 - 0 and Australia beating Ireland 1-0. I did not watch the first as it was at 3:00 am, but the Aus v. Ire game was very good. Sadly Australia's Sam Kerr, the most prolific scorer in the women's game, announced she would miss the first two group stage games with a sore calf. With Ireland and Nigeria being ranked much lower than the Matildas, they wanted to have her fully rested for Canada, their last in the group stages, and obviously for the knock-outs. Ireland gave them a push in the last 15 minutes, including a close header in the last minute. But it was not to be. This will be a very exciting tournament.

The US Women's National Team gets its start tomorrow night against Vietnam, coverage starts at 9:00 pm eastern. All games are on Fox properties, with the US on the main Fox network for their games, and most others on Fox Sports.

Old 07-20-2023, 09:18 AM

it's a shame this could not have been held in North America or Europe - the $ revenue from live televised games in time zones with bigger audience numbers would have helped.

Old 07-20-2023, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
it's a shame this could not have been held in North America or Europe - the $ revenue from live televised games in time zones with bigger audience numbers would have helped.
The last 2 women's world cups were in North America and Europe, there is a whole other world out there playing soccer, and specifically WoSo. FIFA has been clear about its goal to play major tournaments around the world. I am glad its in Australia and NZ.

Old 07-20-2023, 10:22 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
True, and we'll probably have to hear from the numerically challenged again why the teams getting 1/10th the TV viewers and revenue are being "underpaid".

It's like having to hear someone whine about the unfairness of Taylor Swift (another type of entertainer) making 10x more than some male singer that "puts in the same work".

Step #1 in sports-entertainment is to have LIKEABLE and popular visible players drawing people to the sport. US womens soccer had this at one time and it grew the sport, just like the NBA grew from being a league that road buses to games before various legends like magic\bird etc. grew the game.

Old 07-20-2023, 11:12 AM

4,295 posts, read 1,553,748 times
Quote:
Slightly unfair to the Southern Hemisphere if they weren't offered the chance to host tournaments on the basis of geography. I've long thought a men's world cup down under has been long due.

Old 07-20-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Slightly unfair to the Southern Hemisphere if they weren't offered the chance to host tournaments on the basis of geography. I've long thought a men's world cup down under has been long due.
i doubt FIFA would ever host the mens tournament there, it's not going to attract sponsors, not fair I know but its business at the end of the day

Old 07-20-2023, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
The last 2 women's world cups were in North America and Europe, there is a whole other world out there playing soccer, and specifically WoSo. FIFA has been clear about its goal to play major tournaments around the world. I am glad its in Australia and NZ.
i don think FIFA need to grow the game with girls in Aus/NZ I bet is very popular at the grass roots level they do need to try and pump more $ into it to try and address the salary/prize money imbalance

Old 07-20-2023, 12:08 PM

Quote:
i don think FIFA need to grow the game with girls in Aus/NZ I bet is very popular at the grass roots level they do need to try and pump more $ into it to try and address the salary/prize money imbalance
Wow. Can't disagree with a comment more. They need to grow the game EVERYWHERE. Every nation has the right to bid to host an event, and Americans don't care enough about soccer in general, let alone WoSo to have their viewing habits be much of a factor. Also, this is exactly how you increase salary and prize money for WoSo. By spreading it. To each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer