Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 10:54 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bball1982 View Post
nfl is worth nothing nobody around the word wants to buy it even in usa few people want to waste money on sport that peaked. i mean if they would have to build stadium on their own they would be in dept for at least 1.5billion every team in nfl
https://www.espn.com.au/nfl/story/_/...s-harris-group

Oh and Josh Harris is also one of the general partners of Crystal Palace, amazing how these guys seem to want to waste money on the NFL, while Spending it wisely on premier league teams.

Edit:

Should add Manchester United finally sold some it busines yesterday, a 25% stake for "almost" $1.6, that would value Man United at somewhere between 6.3 - 6.4 Billion, slightly more than what the Washington Commanders which were sold for in June. - Washington was the 8th most valuable NFL franchise on Forbes List. Man United the second most valuable football team. The Glazer family which sold that stake in Manchester Unitied, also own the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-18-2023 at 12:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2023, 06:20 AM

2,389 posts, read 1,560,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
With the name Alex McAllister I'm guessing his dad is a Scot!?
i think his grandfather was Irish his dad and brothers (I think?) played play for Argentina.

Old 10-18-2023, 07:50 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
i think his grandfather was Irish his dad and brothers (I think?) played play for Argentina.
I see, I'm guessing there is Scots in there too McAllister is a Scottish surname.

Old 10-18-2023, 07:50 AM

4,295 posts, read 1,553,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
Only thing he's missing is a kilt

Old 10-18-2023, 08:14 AM

21 posts, read 5,494 times
i thought that was parma at first with parmalat sponsor

Old 10-19-2023, 03:42 PM

976 posts, read 1,055,489 times
Quote:
There is no questioning the popularity of American football in North America.....it has little imprint in the rest of the world though. I'm guessing that basketball is probably the most popular US sport outside the US.

I think you are underestimating the growing influence it is having on the rest of the world.

Check out this story....

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profoo...s-in-weeks-7-8

Old 10-19-2023, 05:19 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,014,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
I think you are underestimating the growing influence it is having on the rest of the world.

Check out this story....

I don't think so. Nobody in Scotland has ever even heard of 'Arthur Smith'! Football (soccer) has literally hundreds of clubs across the globe that play in stadiums watched by tens of thousands of fans, it dominates sport pages of the newspapers in all of those countries, it has inter continental competitions where clubs compete against their foreign counterparts in front of tens of thousands of spectators and of course it has worldwide competitions where supporters gather in their thousands in foreign lands to watch their nation compete. When American Football has a World cup that attracts worldwide tv audiences of billions and tens of thousands of supporters from across the globe to attend the competition in person the way football (soccer), rugby and cricket does then you can perhaps make an argument for the sport having 'influence' in the world.

The NFL has spent billions of pounds trying to promote the sport in Europe and specifically the UK, it is ripping the heart out of its own domestic competition in doing so too and yet I have never met anybody English that has interest (not saying there aren't any but they are few and far between). If the NFL wants to 'grow' the game internationally I suggest that the UK is simply NOT the right part of the world to do it. There is nothing wrong with American Football but it will not replace rugby in countries where rugby is popular (just the same way rugby will not replace American Football in the USA). Germany doesn't really have rugby, neither does Holland, perhaps they would be better places to try and promote the game?

What will REALLY signal the 'arrival' of American Football in 'other' countries is when those countries have their own leagues where their teams play in stadiums in front of 40'000 fans, where they have inter Continental championships and a World Cup that 'stops' the country when the national team plays the way that 'other' sports do.

Old 10-19-2023, 06:39 PM

21 posts, read 5,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post

Check out this story....

lol i was in balkans in 2021 and i mean nobody cared about nfl or talked about it.my city had annual diaspora football tournament with teams around the world.nobody cared about nfl or bball or baseball. on tv was olympics in tokyo. i just love country of your ancestors line in decall.growing influence around the world lol

Old 10-20-2023, 12:20 PM

976 posts, read 1,055,489 times
I get it, America just isn't interest in the linear Old World unsophisticated Sport of Association Football, aka "Soccer".

Yes, there will be excitement around the upcoming World Cup but just like in 1994, it will go back to being an out of sight niche sport that attracts our lower tier of athletes.

The World had been trying to shove Soccer down out throats since the 1970s, if not before, and Americans have been saying...No Thanks ...we have better options.

Yes American Football isn't world-wide YET but Basketball and Baseball definitely are!

Old 10-21-2023, 03:01 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
I
The NFL has spent billions of pounds trying to promote the sport in Europe and specifically the UK, it is ripping the heart out of its own domestic competition in doing so too and yet I have never met anybody English that has interest (not saying there aren't any but they are few and far between).
Sitting near Boston, the flight time from LAX to Boston is similar to the flight time from Boston to Heathrow. The Patriots playing in London isn’t much more travel burden than a road game in Seattle, San Francisco, or LA. If you schedule a London game to line up with the bye week, it’s much less of a burden for the west coast teams.

I think the difference is that NFL football is inherently a television event. With UK 3pm Saturday football matches, it’s not televised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer