Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 07:00 PM

30 posts, read 56,152 times

Advertisements

As a red-blooded patriotic american I hate soccer. Yet I can't ignore that its still the most watched TV sport in the world, while great exciting sports like NFL and MLB aren't. Someone explain to me: how can such a boring, girly, unappealing sport be watched by people overseas and do they actually get excited by such a boring sport...is it because foreigners like being bored? Don't they like excitement like the NFL?

Old 01-11-2009, 07:35 PM

269 posts, read 914,136 times
Actually watch a soccer game, or two or three then try to watch an MLB game! I used to be a huge baseball fan, now my son plays soccer, I play soccer, and I go to MLS games when I can ... Opening Day MLB last year almost killed me, it was so boring, the game moves so slow.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:35 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,337,416 times
well rugby is pretty popular and that is similar to gridiron football

I think the reason soccer is so popular is because everyone grows up playing, and everyone grows up playing because it is easy to play

Old 01-11-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
well rugby is pretty popular and that is similar to gridiron football

I think the reason soccer is so popular is because everyone grows up playing, and everyone grows up playing because it is easy to play
why isn't dodgeball or tag the most watched sport then if we all grow up playing those too?

Old 01-12-2009, 12:24 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,354,636 times
Troll. Soccer is boring but baseball is great? Ha. Let's wait a minute between pitches as the fat guy hucks the ball to see if maybe it gets hit to one of the eight dudes standing around, waiting to be useful. It's a game masquerading as a team sport.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:54 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bconngemini View Post
........... I hate soccer.
I hate soccer as well and will never understand how folks in other countries enjoy it. Maybe its because any regular guy can play it and play it well? Maybe its because Ivan or Diego who lives down the street plays on the team? I dont know, but it is boring as hell to me and looks EXACTLY the same as when grade school kids play it.

Now professional football and baseball looks totally different than when its played on any other level (unlike soccer) which is one of the million reasons they are much much better than soccer,

Old 01-12-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I hate soccer as well and will never understand how folks in other countries enjoy it. Maybe its because any regular guy can play it and play it well? Maybe its because Ivan or Diego who lives down the street plays on the team? I dont know, but it is boring as hell to me and looks EXACTLY the same as when grade school kids play it.

Now professional football and baseball looks totally different than when its played on any other level (unlike soccer) which is one of the million reasons they are much much better than soccer,
that's true, if i or you wanted to become proffesional soccer players tommorow we probably could. Any regular person could become a soccer player, its so easy it takes no skill or physical attributes except jog and kick a ball. Look at any soccer player, they are physically nothing, any NFL player is like 6'3 280lb and would dominate soccer. Imagine if any NFL player played soccer America would win the world cup every year.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:53 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,354,636 times
****, you two are naive. MLS clubs often hold tryouts for many who played collegiately and rarely do any of them even warrant much consideration. Let's see a couple of rednecks get off their computers and go pro...

Old 01-12-2009, 09:59 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
I grew up playing soccer, played at a higher level, been to big league games, and I still think it's boring as heck to watch. Hockey to me is just soccer on ice, so I can't watch that, either. MLB is pretty boring, too, if you want to compare to football or basketball. Aw, gawd, major league cricket may be the alternative to ambien.

I think it's just world culture. Sport's been around so long, it's part of their blood. Some of us just need a sport in which something exciting happens every few seconds...not maybe twice a game.

Soccer players are definitely athletes, though.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I grew up playing soccer, played at a higher level, been to big league games, and I still think it's boring as heck to watch. Hockey to me is just soccer on ice, so I can't watch that, either. MLB is pretty boring, too, if you want to compare to football or basketball. Aw, gawd, major league cricket may be the alternative to ambien.

I think it's just world culture. Sport's been around so long, it's part of their blood. Some of us just need a sport in which something exciting happens every few seconds...not maybe twice a game.

Soccer players are definitely athletes, though.
so are you saying that nobody outside america wants excitement? do they like being bored? is boredom considered good and excitement bad in their culture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer