Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2022, 05:08 AM

24,573 posts, read 18,332,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
And for what? Game was a total blowout.
The 14 minutes of stoppage time in the first half was completely appropriate. The Iranian GK was on the ground getting patched up for 10 minutes. There was then another 3 minutes of stoppage a couple minutes later when he went down again and was pulled for a concussion. The stoppage time at the end of the match was meaningless. In normal league play, it never would have happened. It’s the difference between a for-profit league selling entertainment and the World Cup that doesn’t have that discretion.

England looked really good. Other than Pickford and Bellingham, the starting XI was all Big 6 premier league players and Bellingham will likely be a Big 6 player next year.

Saudi Arabia just beat Argentina 2-1. It was worth getting up at 5am to watch that historic upset. Argentina had 3 goals called back in the first half on VAR for offside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 06:29 AM

92 posts, read 112,353 times
Bit of an upset for argiescum,delighted with var..

Old 11-22-2022, 06:50 AM

2,214 posts, read 2,167,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
And for what? Game was a total blowout.
FIFA will be running an actual clock in this WC. Every second of stoppage will be added. No delaying, faking injuries, actual injuries, substitutions ... Nothing will erode the first 90 minutes. Which is as it should always be. You get 90 minutes. Anything in stoppage to be added is at the discretion of center official. It will not matter, nor should it matter, the condition of the game. If its 6 - nil or 2-2, its all 90 true minutes of play.

Old 11-22-2022, 08:52 AM

17,336 posts, read 15,507,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
FIFA will be running an actual clock in this WC. Every second of stoppage will be added. No delaying, faking injuries, actual injuries, substitutions ... Nothing will erode the first 90 minutes. Which is as it should always be. You get 90 minutes. Anything in stoppage to be added is at the discretion of center official. It will not matter, nor should it matter, the condition of the game. If its 6 - nil or 2-2, its all 90 true minutes of play.
Ah. I did not know that they were running an actual clock.

Yes, I agree that this is how it should be. I am not a fan at all of time wasting.

Old 11-22-2022, 09:40 AM

4,303 posts, read 1,565,548 times
Surprised at the lack of Americans here angry at yesterday's display. That 2nd half was completely inept. What did Berhalter say at half time?! 1 shot on target isn't going to win you many games.

I expect the US to have a real go at England, perhaps naively, that defense looks shaky and likely to pick up a lot of cards.

Last edited by Winterbeard; 11-22-2022 at 09:49 AM..

Old 11-22-2022, 10:05 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,585,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post

I expect the US to have a real go at England, perhaps naively, that defense looks shaky and likely to pick up a lot of cards.
Maguire and Stones are both liabilities

Old 11-22-2022, 10:21 AM

4,303 posts, read 1,565,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
True, but I'd take them both over Zimmerman or Ream.

Old 11-22-2022, 01:59 PM

7 posts, read 2,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
USA's attack isn't exactly a world beater... Pulisic is average, at best. The England defence sees better forwards every week in the Premier League.

That said, I think it'll be close, maybe 2-1 England.

Old 11-22-2022, 07:26 PM

24,573 posts, read 18,332,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Surprised at the lack of Americans here angry at yesterday's display. That 2nd half was completely inept. What did Berhalter say at half time?! 1 shot on target isn't going to win you many games.

Why would I be angry? The team is roughly at the level of a Premier League team facing relegation. They would be challenged playing the better Championship teams. A starting forward plays for Norwich in 2nd division Championship on a team funded with parachute money. Another sits on the bench for Chelsea. How is that going to challenge the England defense? Squeaking through the group round was always going to be their best possible outcome. Upsets happen but it’s equally likely that the US flies home with one point.

Old 11-22-2022, 09:09 PM

10,648 posts, read 16,060,337 times
Argentina got robbed. offside should be about the position of your feet, not your head/shoulder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer