Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2022, 03:06 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
Dude, you know so much more than me in this topic. I feel like I need to go buy a new TV. My son is 14 and I got the TV when he was born.
I was in the Cable industry for 20 years as a development engineer. I’ve been surrounded by the technology.

Anyways. I canceled Sling Blue. I’ll subscribe to YouTube TV when I need USA Network. I’ll use that to get FOX for the World Cup. $55 intro rate for the first three months so a $20 up charge from Sling. I’ll probably revert back to Sling in January. I will only be watching USA Network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2022, 08:54 AM

3,977 posts, read 6,783,287 times
Well, now Brazilians can start to think about the World Cup

Old 11-07-2022, 08:06 AM

185 posts, read 312,889 times
This year we are facing a very special World Cup. Therefore, predicting champions seems more difficult than ever, but I bet on three teams: Argentina, Germany and Spain.

Old 11-07-2022, 08:50 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,150,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Housemartin View Post
This year we are facing a very special World Cup. Therefore, predicting champions seems more difficult than ever, but I bet on three teams: Argentina, Germany and Spain.
I am curious as to why you think it is special or different from past tournaments. Time of year? Does this favor or change play?

Old 11-09-2022, 03:23 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,016,192 times
For the first time in my life, I don't want the World Cup, its ruining the football season here, Qatar is a disaster, the English team is missing a lot of its best players because of injury and having the World Cup at the wettest and darkest time of the year is basically just bollox. My only hope is that any Chelsea players involved get back without picking up injuries. I doubt I will watch any games.

I've never known such a dour uninterested population, nobody I know gives a monkey's about it this time around, if the FA had any balls it would have boycotted it in the first place. I hope and pray that the World Cup is NEVER held at this preposterous time of year ever again!

Sorry for being so 'sour' but to be honest the whole thing really p*ssed me off!

Old 11-10-2022, 12:37 PM

4,295 posts, read 1,554,301 times
^^ Agreed. Even ignoring the moral issues of hosting in Qatar, the place is way too small. You'll have all the teams, and fans within a 23-mile radius. An absolute recipe for disaster. Should have been Australia.

Having said that, England to top group B, Wales to finish 2nd - I've noticed the US fans discounting Wales - do so at your peril.

Winners: Brazil
Shock team of the tournament: Denmark
Early exits: France and Spain.

Old 11-10-2022, 12:51 PM

2,208 posts, read 2,150,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
^^ Agreed. Even ignoring the moral issues of hosting in Qatar, the place is way too small. You'll have all the teams, and fans within a 23-mile radius. An absolute recipe for disaster. Should have been Australia.

Having said that, England to top group B, Wales to finish 2nd - I've noticed the US fans discounting Wales - do so at your peril.

Winners: Brazil
Shock team of the tournament: Denmark
Early exits: France and Spain.
I've noticed the English and Welsh fans discounting the USMNT - do so at your peril. Its not a joke this year. They may not have the depth for a long run in the tournament, but a couple of upsets. I think the US will go through to knockouts, and not because the US is not taking its opponents seriously, but because of the opposite.

Old 11-10-2022, 12:55 PM

2,393 posts, read 1,561,850 times
speaking as an English born Canadian fan, I don't discount anyone. I fully expect Southgate's team to have a terrible competition, i just dream that Canada can have some fun, play some flowing football and surprise some people

as for the location and timing it's a mess on both accounts another typical FIFA money grab that hurts the game and benefits large corporations and lines the pockets of FIFA execs

Old 11-10-2022, 01:00 PM

4,295 posts, read 1,554,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
speaking as an English born Canadian fan, I don't discount anyone. I fully expect Southgate's team to have a terrible competition, i just dream that Canada can have some fun, play some flowing football and surprise some people
Great to see Canada there. I was very fearful seeing Alphonso Davies pull up the other day, but looks like he'll make it. I think Belgium can be got at, they're getting on a bit and Canada have a lot of energy.

As for the USMNT - I never underestimate you guys. It'll be a tough game for sure, and I'm not expecting England to beat the US (we never do), but I think Iran and Wales will be tough for you to play against, they tend to sit back and hit you on the break. That defense can be got at. Midfield looks great though.

Old 11-11-2022, 07:13 AM

536 posts, read 323,165 times
If Germany wins, which I don't think they will, they will surpass Brazil as best soccer team ever.

As of right now world cup table is

1.Brazil 5 wins, 2 times runner up , 2 times third place
2.Germany 4 wins, 4 times runner up, 4 times third place
3.Italy 4 wins, 2 times runner up, 1 time third place
4.Argentina 2 wins, 3 times runner up
5.France 2 wins, 1 time runnser up, 2 times third place
6.Uruguay 2 wins
7.England and Spain 1 win
9.The Netherlands 3 times runner up 1 time third place
10.Czech Republic and Hungary two times runners up

So this world cup could be historic, since Brazil is officialy regarded as the best team ever since 1962
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer