Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2023, 12:52 PM

4,296 posts, read 1,554,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Looked out to me.
Forgotten the Japanese goal in the World Cup? On the ground it appears over the line but an overhead camera would likely show that the ball was fractionally on the line. Why there isn't goal like technology around the whole touchline, I don't know.

People complaining about VAR - but without VAR the goal stands anyway, VAR didn't interfere with the goal at all, merely reviewed it. The real issue for me in that game wasn't the goal, it was the Guimaraes elbow into Jorginho's head - they reviewed that and allowed him to stay on the field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2023, 01:20 PM

27,157 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
Forgotten the Japanese goal in the World Cup? On the ground it appears over the line but an overhead camera would likely show that the ball was fractionally on the line. Why there isn't goal like technology around the whole touchline, I don't know.

People complaining about VAR - but without VAR the goal stands anyway, VAR didn't interfere with the goal at all, merely reviewed it. The real issue for me in that game wasn't the goal, it was the Guimaraes elbow into Jorginho's head - they reviewed that and allowed him to stay on the field.

I agree, although in terms of VAR, it's there to give allow a more conclusive analysis, and to help prevent controversy rather than fuel it, and I agree that touchline technology could be useful in relation to such scenarios.

As for the elbow, it was another source of contention, and once again, the VAR decision was controversial, and I realise such decisions are never going to please everyone, however in terms of whether a ball is over the line, we already have the technology in other sports, and it would be useful to have similar technology in relation to top flight football.

Old 11-07-2023, 06:20 AM

2,396 posts, read 1,564,146 times
Quote:
The real issue for me in that game wasn't the goal, it was the Guimaraes elbow into Jorginho's head - they reviewed that and allowed him to stay on the field.
IMHO Both he and Havertz were lucky not have been red carded. But again it boils down to letting the ref and his on-field assistants control the game. They will make mistakes as humans do but for one thing there won't be lengthy delays whilst other humans review and manually draw lines on TV screens to spilt hairs. Decisions will inevitably go against you, but they always have, always did before VAR and seemingly happen more frequently since VAR came in.

Old 11-07-2023, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterjack View Post
Decisions will inevitably go against you, but they always have, always did before VAR and seemingly happen more frequently since VAR came in.
Agreed.

I think it's really damaged the match-going experience. My mate was at the Spurs stadium last night and didn't have a clue what was happening for those multiple VAR reviews, any joy from a goal being scored is short lived until the refereeing big brother has given the go ahead.

Unfortunately, I don't believe they'll ever remove VAR and it has diminished the on field referee's authority.

Old 11-07-2023, 09:17 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Agreed.

I think it's really damaged the match-going experience. My mate was at the Spurs stadium last night and didn't have a clue what was happening for those multiple VAR reviews, any joy from a goal being scored is short lived until the refereeing big brother has given the go ahead.

Unfortunately, I don't believe they'll ever remove VAR and it has diminished the on field referee's authority.
Chelsea-Spurs was ridiculous. The VAR delays were endless. It was like trying to watch the last 2 minutes of a tied NBA playoff game. It takes 30 minutes to play 2 minutes between fouls and timeouts.

Advantage Championship. I’d rather have the human officiating errors.

I hadn’t watched the Spurs since Harry Kane left. I couldn’t believe Son’s work rate and he kept it up the entire match. He pressed everything. I didn’t think that was possible.

Old 11-07-2023, 10:00 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,152,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Looked out to me.
If you think that is clear, yo are 100% wrong. The ball is a sphere. To me, that looks like its clearly in, or at the least close. But not enough to overturn anything.

Now why the only view to decide is an angle, and why the goal line technology cannot be implemented in all PL stadiums for the touch line, or at least have a touch line angle from each corner, I do not understand. But until it is, we get angled views that make a close call impossible to overturn. And I still say based on math, that is in.

Old 11-07-2023, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Chelsea-Spurs was ridiculous. The VAR delays were endless. It was like trying to watch the last 2 minutes of a tied NBA playoff game. It takes 30 minutes to play 2 minutes between fouls and timeouts.

Advantage Championship. I’d rather have the human officiating errors.

I hadn’t watched the Spurs since Harry Kane left. I couldn’t believe Son’s work rate and he kept it up the entire match. He pressed everything. I didn’t think that was possible.
OMG, it was terrible to watch. There was almost an entire overtime for VAR reviews.

Son has transformed without Kane. He is playing an aggressive and pace based game that we had not seen. He is one of the best players this season in EPL. I love watching him.

Spurs are in trouble. While I love Romero's play, his silly aggression costs us a loss and another 3 games without him. Coupled with Van der Ven being out for what look slike months after a bad hammy, its not going to be pretty. Angie's attacking style required two strong center backs. We are without one for long term, and one for short term. Its going to turn sadly bad for Spurs.

But you have to love Angie Ball, down to 9 in a 1-1 draw with under 20 left , instead of parking the bus he is pressing into half the field and attacking nonstop. It might not be the smartest thing, but man it is fun to watch.

I so miss Kane! He would have had a blast in this style of offense. But I think he is having fun ripping off hat tricks in Bayern.

Old 11-08-2023, 06:37 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,019,640 times
Spurs v Chelsea was nuts - it always is! Obviously I was delighted with the result! Postecoglou getting plaudits for persisting with the high line after the sendings off but ultimately it was a daft thing to do! Spurs have done well this season but the reality is they've played mainly relegation fodder and got extremely lucky against Liverpool. I think they'll get top 4 though. As for Chelsea they've won the xG for every game this season yet have only mustered 15 points, I think that there is a lot of potential with the team, especially as the horrendous injury list starts to ease..........................well I hope there is anyway! :-D

Old 11-09-2023, 09:41 AM

Manchester United are in real trouble.

We've been here before, with Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho, Solskjaer, Ragnick and now with Ten Hag. The players attitude is a disgrace, yes, you're earning big money at Man Utd, but the fans would appreciate it if you put some effort in as well.

Was Rashford's red card legitimate? It was an accident, but probably dangerous. The two penalties last night were both laughable, but to be beaten in Copenhagen after going 3-2 up with 10 men was scandalous. The mental frailty is Spurs-esque.

The fans have no real appetite to sack EtH, there's no real alternatives, and the club is a mess from top-to-bottom.

Old 11-09-2023, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Manchester United are in real trouble.

We've been here before, with Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho, Solskjaer, Ragnick and now with Ten Hag. The players attitude is a disgrace, yes, you're earning big money at Man Utd, but the fans would appreciate it if you put some effort in as well.

Was Rashford's red card legitimate? It was an accident, but probably dangerous. The two penalties last night were both laughable, but to be beaten in Copenhagen after going 3-2 up with 10 men was scandalous. The mental frailty is Spurs-esque.

The fans have no real appetite to sack EtH, there's no real alternatives, and the club is a mess from top-to-bottom.
Was Rashford's red card legitimate? I think ti was in today's game. !0 years ago it would have been a yellow.
But FIFA has been clear about spike making contact and dangerous play. If your spike makes contact with force and it was just about anything other than some accident play where both players are rolling without control of their legs, its going to be a red. Spurs romero just did it v Chelsea. He made amazing contact with the ball on a great defensive play, but went in spikes up and after hitting the ball out of the box he followed through with contact with the player with his spikes. Its a straight red. In both cases, the going in with intent to hit the ball with spikes toward the player, if there is any contact, its enough to be dangerous and a red.

"The mental frailty is Spurs-esque." Hey now! Thats mean. Maybe true ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer