Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 03:36 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,843,977 times

Advertisements

Was that not a stampede?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2015, 05:36 PM

957 posts, read 1,132,740 times
Americans are freeze at baseball and football because they're not spectacular sports but rather 3d versions on a green field of role-playing games

let's face it, both sports are so boring, they freeze time, the athlets have all the time to concentrate, to think the next move, a lot of interruptions, they cannot do many moves etc

you can't get really excited when watchin a football/baseball game unless you're very into or you have bet on it

moreover Americans seem having no respect for the games since the gigantic amount of commercial, stupid cheerleadeing and stuff, I'm with Interpol76 on this...

I remember once watchin this football event on the tv and I noticed several people on the edge of the pitch, traniers, referees, journalists, women, photographers, the game was continously interrupted and I didn't even get when the actual game started and when the intervals started, it was a complete mess, for sure not a sport event

Old 02-28-2015, 01:14 AM

943 posts, read 782,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
Americans are freeze at baseball and football because they're not spectacular sports but rather 3d versions on a green field of role-playing games

let's face it, both sports are so boring, they freeze time, the athlets have all the time to concentrate, to think the next move, a lot of interruptions, they cannot do many moves etc

you can't get really excited when watchin a football/baseball game unless you're very into or you have bet on it

moreover Americans seem having no respect for the games since the gigantic amount of commercial, stupid cheerleadeing and stuff, I'm with Interpol76 on this...

I remember once watchin this football event on the tv and I noticed several people on the edge of the pitch, traniers, referees, journalists, women, photographers, the game was continously interrupted and I didn't even get when the actual game started and when the intervals started, it was a complete mess, for sure not a sport event
No, Americans love football and baseball. The lack of "atmosphere" is just a cultural difference, not because the fans are bored. There are a lot of interruptions which is annoying, but that makes the game more strategic. As far as boredom, I find soccer very boring as a spectator sport. Just because the ball is "in motion", doesn't mean anything is happening. I can't get excited about someone passing a ball between teammates and easily losing possession.

Hell, I would prefer interruptions in soccer if it meant that when the ball was in motion something actually happened rather than continuous play with nothing happening. There is a lot of stoppage in football, but when the ball is in play you actually see them push for a goal or a down.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:29 AM

957 posts, read 1,132,740 times
Moionfire, probably football and baseball are exciting aswell, but exciting in the same way billiard, monopoly or poker are

they are more "mental" sports rather than "lifelike" sports imho

basketball and hockey already leans towards lifelike sports like soccer i.e. with less rules, less interruptions and more freedom to moves

Old 02-28-2015, 02:38 PM

18,127 posts, read 25,272,176 times
Quote:
Moionfire, probably football and baseball are exciting aswell, but exciting in the same way billiard, monopoly or poker are
There's nothing more exciting than a poker game on radio

Old 03-01-2015, 12:08 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:

And that's where I stop reading...

Good lord.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:04 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times
I think part of the passion European futbol fans have is due to teams having fan bases divided along ethnic / religious lines. When the teams play they carry the baggage of hundreds of years of dislike, such as when Celtic plays Rangers. That's not the case in American sports, soccer or otherwise. Teams represent their cities and regions but nothing more.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:02 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,009 times
Well the Orlando City franchise made their MLS debut against New York City FC (also making their debut) to a crowd of 62,000 at the Citrus Bowl (American football stadium) on Sunday.

The atmosphere was anything but boring with the place packed with purple clad fans (Orlando is the first MLS team to embrace purple).

It was a 1-1 draw with Kaka making a late free-kick goal. David Villa also made his debut though he was fairly quiet; I'm sure he can't wait for Frank Lampard to join him in the summer. Kaka was active, showing his quality at many turns.

It was an entertaining match and another big step forward for MLS in general.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:14 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,843,977 times
I hope Americans embrace football culture not just football. There are signs that they are.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,227 times
Because American people like to enjoy watching the game instead of scream all the time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer