Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 11:19 AM

130,128 posts, read 12,082,762 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the employees, & sorry that they are closing. I love the .99 cent store, they often had great produce deals there, same brand as supermarket ( for the produce that came in a bag) Cherry toms for .99 in a clamshell, etc. Lots of cute & quirky garden items too. I will miss them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2024, 02:20 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,776,846 times
I will miss them, too. I never went there until I heard they carried produce and then I was hooked. The two in my town always had fresh produce, sometimes the same exact product as Winco only three doors down and for a lower price. I found out which days the delivery trucks came and planned my visits to 99 for those days. The produce was unfailingly good. I'd go there first and if they didn't have what I was looking for then I'd stop at Winco - my main store anyway - afterwards. I'm working on my last 10-pound bag of oranges right now. I never found a better price, or better oranges, than those bags of 10 pounds for $6.99. Throwing out that empty net bag will mark the end of an era.

Old 04-06-2024, 02:31 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,970,303 times
The moment anyone finds out the very last day or week of opening, please let us know.

I actually plan to stock up preferrably 2 or 3x & plan to be there at opening time on Sun & maybe Mon too or hopefully a week apart if they'll still be open...& maybe @ 2 or even 3 locations.

If there's no word when closing day is, I'll try to keep stocking up weekly until they close.

Last edited by Forever Blue; 04-06-2024 at 03:10 PM..

Old 04-06-2024, 04:00 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I never heard of them, for good reason. They are in only 4 states!

"99 Cents Only Stores — a discount chain with stores in California, Texas, Arizona and Nevada "
I'm in NV and have never seen one.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-06-2024, 04:27 PM

12,385 posts, read 8,141,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Call em the $2 store.
Sometime ago 99 cents only became X dollars and 99 cents for their products. Before then they opened from 9:09 to 9:09 they had mock wedding registries and other creative marketing.

Right now as Dollar Tree first went to $1.25 and will probably get to $1.99 there is already a 5 Below chain

Old 04-06-2024, 04:37 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I will miss them, too. I never went there until I heard they carried produce and then I was hooked. The two in my town always had fresh produce, sometimes the same exact product as Winco only three doors down and for a lower price. I found out which days the delivery trucks came and planned my visits to 99 for those days. The produce was unfailingly good. I'd go there first and if they didn't have what I was looking for then I'd stop at Winco - my main store anyway - afterwards. I'm working on my last 10-pound bag of oranges right now. I never found a better price, or better oranges, than those bags of 10 pounds for $6.99. Throwing out that empty net bag will mark the end of an era.
I agree, their produce was better (and cheaper) than that of any store in town.

Old 04-06-2024, 05:01 PM

1,824 posts, read 797,831 times
I lived in SoCal most of my life & I hardly remember them! Were there any around San Diego? Now, Dollar Tree was a different story.

Old 04-06-2024, 05:44 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,776,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
The moment anyone finds out the very last day or week of opening, please let us know.

I actually plan to stock up preferrably 2 or 3x & plan to be there at opening time on Sun & maybe Mon too or hopefully a week apart if they'll still be open...& maybe @ 2 or even 3 locations.

If there's no word when closing day is, I'll try to keep stocking up weekly until they close.
I was told April 19 for one of the stores in Roseville, just outside Sacramento. I was there yesterday and it was very light on inventory and jammed with shoppers. I'd had the same idea as you have but some of the things I wanted were completely cleaned out. I'll try the other store in Roseville on Monday but don't have very high expectations. The closing was covered on our local TV news earlier this week and I expect everyone descended on them the next day.

I wish you luck!

Old 04-06-2024, 07:27 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
They existed for almost 30 of the almost 50 years I lived in California, but I don't think I ever went in one there.

The one in my zip code in Texas (Houston metro) closed sometime in the 2010s, and I only went in there to see what they might have if the Dollar Tree across the street was out of something I'd sometimes get there.

I hadn't been in one in years and went into one in GF's zip code (also Houston metro) on a day I also went to HEB (99 cents only store is kitty corner from the HEB (HEB is a big Texas grocery chain)) last year and there wasn't anything I wanted...walked in and walked out.
I went back there today and there was one thing.....Nearly Naked brand popcorn in the Jalapeño and Lime flavor (yum).

For the heck of it after the purchase, I checked all of the other chains in the Houston metro (except Fiesta because you have to create an online account in order to do a search)....checked Kroger, Whole Foods, Aldi, Trader Joe's, Randall's, Brookshire's, Walmart, HEB, etc. and only Kroger had Nearly Naked, and they had that size, but in a different flavor.

That size/different flavor was $4.99 at Kroger.

Instacart had the Jalapeno and Lime flavor via CVS for $4.39.

The factory website had 8 bags for $27.99.

The 99 cents only store's regular price is $1.99, and it was marked down to $1.80.

Last edited by RMESMH; 04-06-2024 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: fixed formatting

Old 04-06-2024, 07:33 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I was told April 19 for one of the stores in Roseville, just outside Sacramento. I was there yesterday and it was very light on inventory and jammed with shoppers. I'd had the same idea as you have but some of the things I wanted were completely cleaned out. I'll try the other store in Roseville on Monday but don't have very high expectations. The closing was covered on our local TV news earlier this week and I expect everyone descended on them the next day.

I wish you luck!
In the location I went to....It was jammed with shoppers.

I don't know if I would say 'light' re inventory, but I would say fairly 'picked over' .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products