Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2024, 04:33 PM

1,112 posts, read 606,309 times

Advertisements

Okay,

Live in a big city in a house.

Decent neighbourhood. But the reports of break-ins have ticked up a bit. Especially at night.

Some of them are frightening.

One news report showed a gang of young men, about 5 coming up onto a person's veranda and proceed to try to kick in the front door. It was around 2am.

Very blatant. Just walk onto the property and proceed to kick the door about 5 times. Two big guys taking turns. The door held. So they just walk away quickly.

I have no license for a firearm.

I literally have nothing to defend myself or my loved ones if somebody breaks in.

Other than a 2x4 or kitchen knives.

I thought about getting an aluminum softball bat, but a lot of people says that it's pretty useless?

What's your opinion on any effective non-firearm type of weapon?

Or anything to deter or defend against any intrusion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2024, 08:38 PM

1,809 posts, read 897,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Okay,

Decent neighbourhood. But the reports of break-ins have ticked up a bit. Especially at night.

Some of them are frightening.

One news report showed a gang of young men, about 5 coming up onto a person's veranda and proceed to try to kick in the front door. It was around 2am.

Very blatant. Just walk onto the property and proceed to kick the door about 5 times. Two big guys taking turns. The door held. So they just walk away quickly.

I have no license for a firearm.

I literally have nothing to defend myself or my loved ones if somebody breaks in.

Other than a 2x4 or kitchen knives.

I thought about getting an aluminum softball bat, but a lot of people says that it's pretty useless?

In most of the free States in the USA you do not need a license to own a firearm. Find out if you need one. Otherwise you need a big dog that’ll protect you and you need an escape plan. Cause without a firearm your just peeing into the wind…

Old 04-06-2024, 08:52 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Okay,

Some of them are frightening.............

Bubba stik. I keep one handy and it looks like it should be in an umbrella stand. That knob is brass.

A similar good choice is an Irish shillelagh. They look harmless enough, but they are not. Having a good stout 4 & 1/2-foot something in your hand will change everything for you.

Either one is good, but if you ever have occasion to use it, summon your inner demons and become someone's worst nightmare. Don't threaten - come out swinging.

Old 04-06-2024, 09:34 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Some people just don't want guns in their lives, and that's okay.

I have a plain old hammer on a table close to my front door, in addition to some other weapons. If my front door is compromised or I open it to the wrong person, at least there is some form of defense at hand.

If you can't/don't want to bring a barking dog into your home, you might consider sound effects instead. Like a motion detector to set off sounds of a growling/barking dog, or even the voices of people or the racking of a shotgun. It's a deterrent.

Knives are cheap and easy, but could you really stab an attacker? Not sure if I could do it. I had a neighbor who kept both a baseball bat and a long wooden club (like a hockey stick) for self defense, propped beside the front door.

Bear spray is also good, and has a pretty good spread, like 20 feet or so.

Old 04-06-2024, 10:27 PM

680 posts, read 716,810 times
Maybe a taser or stun gun... but you said non firearm type. Bear spray like previously mentioned or a cattle prod or a machete.
They also make a non lethal home defense product called pepperballs..(worth looking at even though its a projectile defense that releases pepper clouds)
https://www.amazon.com/PepperBall-Li.../dp/B08G8W3Y67

Taken from the link...

• This Kit Includes : 1 LifeLite Mobile Launcher, 6 Live SD PepperBall Projectiles, 12 Inert Practice Projectiles, 3 CO2 Cartridges
  • Built on the success of the first generation, LifeLite Mobile is designed to be more portable and convenient to transport or carry. Equipped with a dual LED flashlight and built-in PepperBall launcher, LifeLite Mobile offers covert protection in plain sight. Designed to launch PepperBall projectiles from as far as 40 feet away, the built-in laser guide helps the user find and hit the target with ease.
  • Bright flashlight with integrated PepperBall launcher. Holds 3 pepper balls at a time. Semi-automatic firing system. Dual LEDs emit 350 lumen of light. C02 power launches pepper balls up to 40 feet. Pepper balls release pepper cloud upon impact to stop assailants instantly. Disperses in a 12-foot radius.
  • Does not have to hit attackers to be effective. Includes inert projectiles for practice firings. Shell color indicates payload; red live, purple inert. 100% water proof projectiles. Non-flammable.

Last edited by beckerd2; 04-06-2024 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: abc

Old 04-06-2024, 11:20 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Bear spray. 2 large capacity ones and double spray them like cockroaches that they are.

Old 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
I did some reading about bear spray. Turns out it is very, very effective. No human can withstand the pain it inflicts on eyes and soft membranes. Puts people in the hospital.
It is illegal to use on people in some states.

I carry dog spray on my walks. Comes in a smaller canister than bear spray, but I am told it is much less effective than ordinary pepper spray. Probably a hyped-up human could maintain the attack.

Wasp spray goes a long way - about 20 feet - and that's nice, but some pepper sprays also go 20 feet or so.

After reading and thinking about our OP's choices, I like this long range pepper gun best. It fits in your hand sort of intuitively like a pistol. Best of all, it doesn't require her to get so close to the Bad Guy that he can take her weapon away from her. That's important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOn-BcCYUpE

Old 04-07-2024, 08:18 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
We used to have a herd of goats. They understood that we kept their treats in our house, sometimes when they got loose they would run to our front doors and knock on our doors. When I opened the door I would get a dozen goats pushing their way into my house. So I bought a handheld cattle prod.

Like this: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...olt-handy-prod

I learned to keep them hanging on the door hinges, so whenever I open our door now I always have a prod close to hand.

However I am also in favor of pepper spray.

Old 04-07-2024, 08:49 AM

693 posts, read 284,446 times
I would say pepper spray or some variant. Homeowners in Australia and other countries with strong gun control laws actually resort to homemade mixture sprays that they use for self defense (bug spray and household cleaners), with actual recipes on youtube, etc.

Old 04-07-2024, 08:50 AM

981 posts, read 607,062 times
We have a solid mahogany walking stick we picked up in Jamaica many years ago that stands next to the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness