Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 06:02 AM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
Good luck relying on that.

And you feel an aerosol on a windy day is more effective?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2024, 07:13 AM

939 posts, read 390,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I like the idea of a really bright flashlight and some kind of bug spray- both easily attainable. The idea of a recorded dog barking is good too.

Much better than an actual dog that you are responsible for. Any large or potentially vicious dog can get you sued if they bite someone other than an intruder. How many stories do we have to read about dogs eating the baby or their owners or biting the mailman? How much liability insurance will you carry? How much money are you willing to spend on a dog over its lifetime- how many thousands? Give me a bark recording any day for discouraging intruders!

As to keeping a gun, stats show they are 5x more likely to be used for suicides, homicides, or in accidental shootings- including killing the kids- than in defense of the home.
I don't get the really bright flashlight...... I mean are intruders only coming in at night? I guess it could be used to hit someone with if you were close enough. And flashlights, sprays, etc.......where do you keep these items? Are they on a string hanging around your neck all day and night so they would be where you need them......when you need them? Or do you keep them by the door where the intruders are presumed to be coming in? Same with guns...... I have a 9mm and it's stored in a closet where it most likely wouldn't be of any use unless I knew the threat was coming ahead of time.

Your bark recording...... is it on a motion detector? Or some other way activated when an intruder is near by?

Deterrents:
1) A very well lit exterior
2) All doors and windows secured and locked
3) An alarm system (a very loud alarm system with lights and sirens) any time there is a breach to a door or window.
4) If all that fails...... A large "Family" dog with a deep loud warning bark that instinctively WANTS to protect it's family and won't hesitate to do so.
5) Move to a safer area with a very low home invasion crime rate.

Old 04-11-2024, 07:55 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
Add-on to my suggestion of making your exterior doors hard to penetrate (steel door is a good choice)is this:

Make your bedroom door also hard to break down.
Replace a lightweight door with a solid hardwood door, put a easy-turn lock on it on the inside.
That will give you time to call 911 if anything bad happens and provide you with a good nights sleep many other nights.

Old 04-11-2024, 02:32 PM

122 posts, read 82,473 times
You really do not want to rely on a "close contact" (non-firearm) defense once someone is inside your home. Consider a dual purpose, 5 pound fire extinguisher (or multiple, well placed, 2 pound units). Pull the pin, then squeeze the lever aiming at your intruders before they get too close. It will make it difficult to see and breath, plus it will cover them and their clothing for easy identification if the PD acts soon enough. As a last defense if they somehow continue toward you, a good whack on the head might allow you time to escape. And hey, if you burn something on the stove, you are well prepared!

Old 04-11-2024, 03:19 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum808 View Post
... It will make it difficult to see and breath, plus it will cover them and their clothing for easy identification if the PD acts soon enough.
I have contacted local Law Enforcement twice concerning vehicles that left the road, and flipped upside down in the ditch, on my land. Both times they responded that they would try to get a deputy to drive-by on the following business day.

If we were to call 911 over an intruder, I seriously doubt that we would get same-day response.

Old 04-11-2024, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kroadking View Post
I don't get the really bright flashlight Same with guns...... I have a 9mm and it's stored in a closet where it most likely wouldn't be of any use unless I knew the threat was coming ahead of time.
Try the flashlight on yourself, in any lighting other than direct sunlight; you'll be blinded long enough for an 85 y/o woman such as the below to grab her gun.

"While Condon was in the basement, the report said Jenneiahn dragged the chair she was handcuffed to into her bedroom and retrieved her 357 Magnum from under her pillow."

https://localnews8.com/news/blackfoo...ions-container

Now that Grandma has some moxy!

Old 04-11-2024, 03:57 PM

2,025 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
And you feel an aerosol on a windy day is more effective?.

But this thread is about intruders inside your house. Unless you have a bunch of windows open on a windy day this shouldn't be an issue.

Old 04-11-2024, 04:13 PM

10,709 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I like the idea of a really bright flashlight and some kind of bug spray- both easily attainable. The idea of a recorded dog barking is good too.

Much better than an actual dog that you are responsible for. Any large or potentially vicious dog can get you sued if they bite someone other than an intruder. How many stories do we have to read about dogs eating the baby or their owners or biting the mailman? How much liability insurance will you carry? How much money are you willing to spend on a dog over its lifetime- how many thousands? Give me a bark recording any day for discouraging intruders!

As to keeping a gun, stats show they are 5x more likely to be used for suicides, homicides, or in accidental shootings- including killing the kids- than in defense of the home.
The primary benefit of a live dog versus a recording is the early warning aspect. That is rendered null and void if all one has is a recording.

Old 04-11-2024, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
But this thread is about intruders inside your house. Unless you have a bunch of windows open on a windy day this shouldn't be an issue.

How would one use it indoors without incapacitating themself?.
I don't see this as being practical, even with the respirator I mentioned earlier; could you get said mask secured properly in time?. A wet towel works, only it must cover your face.
I'll opt for the dog.

Old 04-11-2024, 05:18 PM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Dog would not work for us. Between a senior Bengal mix at 24 pounds and a Maine Coon - dog would not be welcome as they explained to a Great Dane. They do alert though.
Use common sense and basic home remedies. Door, alarm, phones. Bear spray is always an option. So is hair spray. A gun is a no go according to OP. Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness