Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2023, 10:39 AM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
The Bureau of Land Management allows free camping on public lands; it's called "Dispersed Camping". I think there is a limit on how long you can stay at a site, but I don't know how strictly it is enforced. Usually, there are no amenities like bathrooms, running water, power, or paved parking areas.

Many people spend months on end camping free, in tents, RVs, cars, whatever.
14-16 days is the standard. It can vary from place to place though.

https://www.blm.gov/programs/recreat...ontana-dakotas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2023, 12:42 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Digging a well is expensive. A lot of it depends on how many feet you have to go down to find water.

Do people run any stock in the desert? Because maybe there might be an acre or so to buy next to a ranch running stock. If so, you could approach the owner and ask to go halves on the well. He would get a watering trough out of it and you'd get water.

Just make sure the trough is far enough away from your water so there's no contamination. Also cattle make a huge muddy mess around troughs.

Old 03-13-2023, 07:46 PM

994 posts, read 968,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
So ... you want to buy a camp site?
yes pretty much

Old 03-13-2023, 07:47 PM

994 posts, read 968,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
14-16 days is the standard. It can vary from place to place though.

https://www.blm.gov/programs/recreat...ontana-dakotas
I've camped at alot of BLM land. I know there is LTVA (long term visitor areas) where you pay $180 for 6-7 months which is a great deal , a few of those areas have a bathroom/water as well.

Old 03-13-2023, 08:05 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Digging a well is expensive. A lot of it depends on how many feet you have to go down to find water.
And that is an important reason people need to plan for desert locations. AZ has over 80 reportable basins. Based on the data from each, one can plan and prepare for the likelihood of finding water and at what depth. But many look at desert water from a news perspective. Yes, the SW is suffering drought but that doesn't mean there is no water under the ground. It means that water extraction isn't viable for pumping on a water authority or agricultural level. Just isn't going to produce enough economically. As for the homesteader, again, you have those expecting on demand water like turning on the spigot and water comes gushing out.

For a person who planned living with solid practical water management in the desert, they can have the water they need.

Old 03-14-2023, 12:54 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
Thanks for all the information and suggestions. I mostly just want a spot I can goto anytime thats mine only for when I want to sleep/live for when things get tough or just to get away. I know there are plenty of BLM spots , but when you find a good spot it's not guaranteed you'll always have that same spot or area to go to as it could be taken by someone else.

I don't really plan to build a big off grid area with animals and a well etc. The areas I was initially looking at were in the high desert of AZ around Williams, Camp Verde, somewhere not too far from the highway (maybe 15 minutes or so) . I am open to other parts of the country . Southern Oregon , Northern CA , Northwest NV , but nowhere east of AZ/ (draw a line at the east AZ border up and down the country).

I might have better luck buying from someone else privately.

???

Wouldn't it make more sense- no capital outlay, no taxes, freeedom to change locations at will-- just to rent a motel room whenever you want to, whrever you want to near a public access county, state, federal park for the couple days at a time that you'll be doing it?

In the desert??? ...Have you considered counseling?

Old 03-14-2023, 01:13 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,679,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
And that is an important reason people need to plan for desert locations. AZ has over 80 reportable basins. Based on the data from each, one can plan and prepare for the likelihood of finding water and at what depth. But many look at desert water from a news perspective. Yes, the SW is suffering drought but that doesn't mean there is no water under the ground. It means that water extraction isn't viable for pumping on a water authority or agricultural level. Just isn't going to produce enough economically. As for the homesteader, again, you have those expecting on demand water like turning on the spigot and water comes gushing out.

For a person who planned living with solid practical water management in the desert, they can have the water they need.
Until the aquifer drops and it's too expensive to deepen the well.

Or the groundwater gets contaminated and you can't drink it.

Old 03-18-2023, 02:06 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,152,851 times
I follow a homesteader in Canada via online sharing and let me tell you, homesteading is harder than it looks.

I canned and gardened as a kid and while rewarding, I can attest to exhausting that is.

I have relatives who homestead in Latin America and they usually have 20-80 acre lots they live on, and they work and barter to get whatever else they need for living. There's no shame in being a farmer in Latin America.

Old 03-27-2023, 09:42 PM

472 posts, read 669,179 times
The short answer is no. Forget about camping. The main goal of buying a land is investment, not recreation. It will be nice to buy a land you can also camp on, but it should be valid investment.

First, land has very low liquidity, which means it is hard to sell. If you want to buy a piece of land, you should be ready to hold it for at least 10 years. And when you sell it, you should be ready to wait for another year or 2. So you shouldn't use the money you might need sometime to buy land.

Second, you shouldn't buy 1 acre of land in rural area for 5000, because it is just very unlikely to appreciate. Land parcels in rural area are most 10 acres and more. The larger the parcel, the more likelihood it will appreciate. Personally I wouldn't think of anything less than 40 acres. 1 acre lots in those "developments" are almost like scams. You might be able to buy 10 acres for 10K or less, but I don't think buying 1 acres for 5000 is a good idea. Also don't forget you need to pay property tax every year, and HOA fee if there is one.

Good luck.

Old 03-27-2023, 09:54 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fengxg View Post
The short answer is no. Forget about camping. The main goal of buying a land is investment, not recreation. It will be nice to buy a land you can also camp on, but it should be valid investment.

First, land has very low liquidity, which means it is hard to sell. If you want to buy a piece of land, you should be ready to hold it for at least 10 years. And when you sell it, you should be ready to wait for another year or 2. So you shouldn't use the money you might need sometime to buy land.

Second, you shouldn't buy 1 acre of land in rural area for 5000, because it is just very unlikely to appreciate. Land parcels in rural area are most 10 acres and more. The larger the parcel, the more likelihood it will appreciate. Personally I wouldn't think of anything less than 40 acres. 1 acre lots in those "developments" are almost like scams. You might be able to buy 10 acres for 10K or less, but I don't think buying 1 acres for 5000 is a good idea. Also don't forget you need to pay property tax every year, and HOA fee if there is one.

Good luck.
I find, I must agree.

Not about the 'one acre' though, the list of pluses, in my mind was not close to enough [potable water spring, energy source, organic garden, nudist resort] .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness