Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 08:18 AM

6,875 posts, read 4,877,055 times

Advertisements

So.....no water? You aren't planning on growing a garden then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2023, 10:35 AM

7,025 posts, read 4,901,566 times
Honestly, if you're going to farm for yourself, and raise animals and crops, five acres is preferable and possible even more. At some point you're going to have to trade for the things you need to buy that you don't have and that means you need to have some extra.

Plus, it's very difficult to have a homestead by yourself, if that's your plan. But every person you add is going to need additional acreage in order to eat. And some animals require lots of space. A horse can eat a full pasture of grass in one summer, so you will need to have another pasture to put them in while the first grows out again or you will have to have additional acreage to raise hay to feed them. That goes for all your animals. You'll need horses or oxen or both for transit and work, and they both eat a lot.

And you'll definitely want to be near water, at least to the point where you can pipe it into your residence. That saves you a lot of labor.

Old 03-09-2023, 10:44 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
You are in Phoenix. Are there cheap lots that you could get to for a weekend trip? Do you enjoy the desert? Perhaps go and stay the weekend and go out rockhounding or prospecting?

$5,000 isn't a lot of money to be used as a hobby expense and to be able to say that you own land, or that you own your own vacation get-away spot.

I don't know what recreation lots cost in your area. I took a quick peek at Christmas Valley Oregon and for $10,000 you can get 5 acres. It's desert and not much out there, but there is water if you put in a well and there is a lot of recreation if you like ATV or dune buggy because the Oregon Dunes are right here, and lots of nice scenery so it is a decent camping spot. Not accessible for weekend use from Phoenix, but there must be something in your area where it would make a nice weekend camping spot.

Old 03-09-2023, 01:39 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,423,512 times
My son wanted to buy himself land in New Mexico. My concern was if there were any guarantees that the land had water under it. And if so, how deep is it?

If you want to drink a glass of water, how much infrastructure will you need? and then how much energy do you need to expend to haul one glass of water up to the surface?

Once you know the answers to that equation, then you can begin to estimate the cost of watering crops or livestock.

I think you would do much better to look at forest land somewhere that has NEVER seen a drought.

Farm land has already been picked over, and any farm land that comes up on the market is expensive.

In 2005, I was able to find forest land asking $350 an acre.

Mind you when I found that land, I had already spoken with dozens of realtors, and every realtor I spoke with insisted that there is no land on the market asking for less than $1,000 an acre.

Gotta avoid realtors, they will run the price up every time.

And they will lie to your face, telling you that their deal is the best deal you can find. I have seen this happen over and over.

Old 03-09-2023, 03:18 PM

994 posts, read 969,247 times
Thanks for all the information and suggestions. I mostly just want a spot I can goto anytime thats mine only for when I want to sleep/live for when things get tough or just to get away. I know there are plenty of BLM spots , but when you find a good spot it's not guaranteed you'll always have that same spot or area to go to as it could be taken by someone else.

I don't really plan to build a big off grid area with animals and a well etc. The areas I was initially looking at were in the high desert of AZ around Williams, Camp Verde, somewhere not too far from the highway (maybe 15 minutes or so) . I am open to other parts of the country . Southern Oregon , Northern CA , Northwest NV , but nowhere east of AZ/ (draw a line at the east AZ border up and down the country).

I might have better luck buying from someone else privately.

Old 03-09-2023, 03:57 PM

My father spent 30 years as a snowbird living in a fifth-wheel trailer, he spent many winters parked in the Sonora desert in California near the town of Niland. He told me that a big self-employed business in that area is people towing water buffalos [a twin-axle trailer with a potable water tank, you suck water from a river and then sell water by the gallon].

Old 03-09-2023, 05:51 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,821,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
Thanks for all the information and suggestions. I mostly just want a spot I can goto anytime thats mine only for when I want to sleep/live for when things get tough or just to get away. I know there are plenty of BLM spots , but when you find a good spot it's not guaranteed you'll always have that same spot or area to go to as it could be taken by someone else.

I don't really plan to build a big off grid area with animals and a well etc. The areas I was initially looking at were in the high desert of AZ around Williams, Camp Verde, somewhere not too far from the highway (maybe 15 minutes or so) . I am open to other parts of the country . Southern Oregon , Northern CA , Northwest NV , but nowhere east of AZ/ (draw a line at the east AZ border up and down the country).

I might have better luck buying from someone else privately.
So ... you want to buy a camp site?

Old 03-09-2023, 08:06 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times
Check "Slab City."

Old 03-09-2023, 08:51 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,574,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Check "Slab City."

That is the worst place to go in the nation. Complete trash!

Old 03-09-2023, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
That is the worst place to go in the nation. Complete trash!
Many people love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness