Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2021, 09:05 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,120,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
What attacks?

Sweden is a lost cause. Spikes in crime everywhere and no-go zones. The government keeps allocating more and more money to fight crime. The recommendations have been that the government must hire more minority policemen, but a high percentage of immigrant applicants can't pass the tests and don't understand the language well enough.
Literal and figuratively, every day, racial hatred is now sanctioned in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 09:10 AM

8,096 posts, read 10,133,877 times
Windfall, like winning a billion in the lottery?

First thing i would do is find a decent Flemming yacht...65 feet or so and head to a warm climate, dock up and start to think about it. Maybe do the great loop, or similar in order to escape money grubbers.

Then, maybe a ranch in Idaho, Wyoming, Washington or Utah sort of environs. Couple thousand acres. Run cattle.

Home on the French Riviera, home in the alps for skiing, place on Park Avenue for visits to NYC.

Then sit back on the boat and see if i have made the right decisions? Then purchase or build a decent barn on the ranch to begin an automobile collection. Not Ferraris and McLarens, but simple autos like early Jeeps, VW Bugs, Model A Ford Pickup.....who knows...whatever tickles my fancy.

Old 03-05-2021, 09:58 AM

5,041 posts, read 3,354,002 times
90 days little house on the prairie lifestyle ...that is my dream...

Old 03-05-2021, 11:08 AM

3,322 posts, read 1,797,719 times
I'd be comfortable in the middle of 50 acres right about where I am. If it didn't have a pond I'd buy a small bulldozer and dig me one. About 1/2 an acre around and 10 ft deep so fish could winter over in it. I'd have a place of my own to hunt & fish to my heart's content.

Old 03-07-2021, 03:15 AM

9,078 posts, read 4,784,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
I'd be comfortable in the middle of 50 acres right about where I am. If it didn't have a pond I'd buy a small bulldozer and dig me one. About 1/2 an acre around and 10 ft deep so fish could winter over in it. I'd have a place of my own to hunt & fish to my heart's content.
Would ten feet be enough? My dad is south (and west) of you, and he gets freezes over 4 feet deep.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:24 AM

12,809 posts, read 15,095,839 times
Interesting reads guys. Keep them coming!

Old 03-10-2021, 11:33 AM

14,977 posts, read 9,893,506 times
Tropics, but on or near a mountain, although I'd still want access to the Ocean. Southern Cuba would be nice, with the prevailing winds. Of course I'd also have a summer abode in the Canadian Rockies near Jasper.

Old 03-10-2021, 11:53 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,196,175 times
We'd live on a bunch of private forested acres of land with a fresh water creek on our property. We'd have everything we needed for living off grid in our house and on our property, including some snow mobiles so if we needed to get in and out of our land we could do so in the winter without needing to plow.

Basically a totally private, secure place where we could do as we pleased, but not more than two hours or so from a town where we could get supplies, dinner at a nice restaurant, etc. This is the goal. There's still time to make it happen.

Old 03-10-2021, 04:49 PM

4,857 posts, read 3,670,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I love where I live now, but if I just got a financial windfall, fiance' (husband by then) & I would love to have more new experiences & live in very nice apts about 2 years each in some cities here in California as well as some other places in the U.S.

In the meantime, we'd either have a lovely beach home being built OR better yet live in various places first to see exactly where we'd want to put more permanent roots again. Hopefully, we could do that someday still.
Santa Fe, NM

Old 03-11-2021, 12:51 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,651,217 times
I'd buy a private island. Either off the coast of BC or in the Maritimes.

I'd build a main house, and a couple of cottages for guests.

A pool built into the rocks, plus an indoor one for winter.

A small boat for fishing, and a larger yacht to ferry my family and friends back and forth.

I'd also hire amazing chefs from around the world to cook on special occasions.

I'd hold artist getaways for painters, writers etc.

I'd drink good, very good, wines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness