Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 04:10 PM

89 posts, read 327,540 times

Advertisements

I was visiting your lovely city this summer with my wife who was born and raised in San Francisco. We were visiting her aunt in Pacific City, and was returning to San Francisco in the evening and took a wrong exit. We ended up circling around Daly City, driving up and down Geneva Ave. Went by the Cow Palace a few times. Some of the streets we saw were Moscow, Vienna, Paris etc. It all looked pretty scetchy, and my wife was terrified. I asked her to stop at a 7-11 so I could ask dierctions, but there was a tough looking gang of guys hanging out in front so we passed. After about an hour of driving in circles with out of state plates, I was wondering if we are lucky to be alive. Does anybody know much about this area? Are we lucky to not have been carjacked, and murdered?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 04:42 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,440 times
Yes, almost every single person who drives to the Cow Palace gets carjacked or worse. This is why so few people in San Francisco own cars, and why so many are dead.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:56 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,072,505 times
Typically they kill you, skin you and then have sex with your lifeless bodies. You should definitely be wiping the sweat from your forehead! Whew!

Old 09-01-2009, 05:19 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,009,038 times
The least that would have happened is that you would have been submitted to a whole lot of buggery. Some people like it though.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:37 PM

250 posts, read 246,095 times
the smart thing to do was to drive passed this area.
lets examine your choices
a. drive passed bad area
b. drive around in circles and stay in bad area

5 minutes north of the cow palace and ur in the sf community college area. then it turns into ocean avenue.
now that i think about it im mad u didnt get jacked.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:48 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,392,581 times
Your wife was born and raised in the City but did not know how to navigate?

I smell a troll.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:30 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz134 View Post
I was visiting your lovely city this summer with my wife who was born and raised in San Francisco. We were visiting her aunt in Pacific City, and was returning to San Francisco in the evening and took a wrong exit. We ended up circling around Daly City, driving up and down Geneva Ave. Went by the Cow Palace a few times. Some of the streets we saw were Moscow, Vienna, Paris etc. It all looked pretty scetchy, and my wife was terrified. I asked her to stop at a 7-11 so I could ask dierctions, but there was a tough looking gang of guys hanging out in front so we passed. After about an hour of driving in circles with out of state plates, I was wondering if we are lucky to be alive. Does anybody know much about this area? Are we lucky to not have been carjacked, and murdered?
Congratulations! You took a tour of Visitacion Valley, home of the infamous Sunnydale Housing Projects, and former home of the even more infamous Geneva Towers housing projects.

That hood consistently has the second highest murder rate in the city, after Hunters Point. You're lucky you weren't robbed, murdered twice, sold into slavery, OR had your organs harvested man.

No you're not going to get carjacked or murdered for driving through...but something not very nice might happen if you make it a habit of driving through the projects, looking lost and with out of state license plates. If you think the area is bad now you should have seen it 15 years ago.

I guess I could give you some horror stories though, so you can tell all your friends about how you could have got KILLED!!11!: In 2007 a 66 year old man was shot dead and carjacked in front of his home in Visitacion Valley. In 2004 in Hunters Point, which borders Visitacion Valley, a tourist couple got off on the wrong exit and had their car sprayed with bullets, killing the wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly
Your wife was born and raised in the City but did not know how to navigate?

I smell a troll.
Never underestimate lack of a sense of direction or lack of knowledge of a city...even by natives. I have a friend who was born and raised in SF, and he has basically no experience in the city south of...I dunno 24th street.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:21 AM

My wife got lost because we were staying at a friends house in a different neighborhood she grew up in. Driving back from Pacific City at night, and not being sure what exit she needed to take caused her to get lost. She never had a car growing up, and always rode the bus, seldom ever leaving her neighborhood. She especially had never been to this area we got turned around in. It was really confusing. I usually have a pretty good sense of direction, but couldn't figure out what direction we were driving. Her panicking didn't help matters. I told her to call her friend, but she was ashamed at being lost, and didn't want to admit to it.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:52 AM

I was just looking at a map of San Francisco to try and remember some of the streets we were on. San Bruno Ave. was also a street that we went up and down a few times. That street looked pretty bad, and I think that is where the 7-11 was we almost stopped at.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:02 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,145,658 times
When you went eastbound on Geneva, you eventually hit Bayshore Blvd. You took a left there, which was correct.. but you didn't go far enough. Keep going and you'll see a ramp to 101 north in a few blocks. That 7-11 you got spooked by was on Bayshore just before that point.

Be glad you didn't keep going on Bayshore until it turned into 3rd Street. Your wife would have had a heart attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland