Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:33 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,259,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Good thing you werent in Colma-death everywhere.
I would not want to be in Colma when the zombie apocalypse begins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I've known a few like that myself. Even my ex, who grew up in Bernal Heights off of Crescent, barely knew most of the City. She only really knew the section from Crocker Park to CCSF and from Top of the Hill to her south end of Bernal Heights. Other than that she only knew Glen Park b/c that was her BART station and the areas that lay along where the 23 goes since she went to Lowell. I ended up introducing her to much of downtown, the Richmond, etc. That was really b/c her parents sheltered her though.
Come to think of it this friend was pretty sheltered growing up too. So I guess it makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 11:24 PM

36,699 posts, read 67,751,297 times
Quote:
I've noticed 1 or 2 Samoan restaurants right there on Geneva. Are they worth checking out?
There's 2 restaurants-the one closer to the Cow Palace-don't go to that one. The one farther down is okay.

Quote:
Are you part Samoan? I'm not used to any Tongans promoting anything Samoan (or residing north of San Bruno for that matter - especially in that hood lol).
LOL Im not part Samoan but our food is similar enough to want to eat it(LOL).

As far as the beef everyone talks about-that was much bigger when you and I were kids-I don't sense that its really an issue anymore.

Besides, polynesians always thought I was either white or a green-eyed latino(LOL)

Quote:
Or is the Tongan-Samoan beef more of a thing of the past now?
I don't know-but my cousin married a samoan girl and she frequently beats his arse. LOL

Old 09-03-2009, 12:52 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,259,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair

There's 2 restaurants-the one closer to the Cow Palace-don't go to that one. The one farther down is okay.

LOL Im not part Samoan but our food is similar enough to want to eat it(LOL).

I don't know-but my cousin married a samoan girl and she frequently beats his arse. LOL
haha, one of my friends once saw some giant Samoan chicks carjack some dude in SF.

I'm curious about Samoan and Tongan food now...what's it like?

Old 09-03-2009, 01:54 AM

2,957 posts, read 6,492,043 times
Quote:
Cool I'll check it out. Thanks!

Quote:
As far as the beef everyone talks about-that was much bigger when you and I were kids-I don't sense that its really an issue anymore.
That's good. Yeah I haven't heard anything about it in so long that it seems like its all in the past. I don't think I ever saw it get ugly between the two groups in person before, but there used to be a lot of pretty funny trash talking I would hear from the Tongan side lol!

Quote:
LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
haha, one of my friends once saw some giant Samoan chicks carjack some dude in SF.
LMAO that doubly sucks just b/c its so emasculating. Its one thing to get your car taken, but to get part of your manhood taken as well stings even more.

Quote:
Yeah I'm curious myself. I've only had bbq and roast pig at peoples' house parties as far as I can remember, and I've always been curious what all there normally was to eat. I'm gonna have to check out that restaurant.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
I can't lie. There are are giant Tongan women too--although I've never known of one that ever carjacked someone. Yikes.

On the other hand, I work with Tongan youth a lot and it seems that the current teenage crowd is not so hung up on balancing their ancestral homeland and their new country-most of the kids nowadays are much more Americanized because their parents were raised here.

With that Americanization comes lots of benefits-our kids do much better in school, many more go off to college and many more graduate from universities now. Still too many get caught up with the wrong crowd, but Im pleased to report that most are just fine.

Sometimes tho, I get really discouraged at how many great kids with awesome potential fall through the cracks.

Quote:
Well, its varied and based on what was available to natives in the islands-here we fuse those elements with what this country has-America has everything..like every food from every country, its amazing.

For example tonight I had over my parents and we had diced corned beef(from Weber Meats in San Leandro) wrapped in taro leaves(from Tonga) and sauteed with onions and coconut milk(asian store brand)-We bake it for about 45 mins.

We also had raw poke(fish from Hawaii) marinated in soy sauce and green onions, tomatoes, limu(seaweed), sesame seeds and a squeeze of lemon.

Our 'potato' was Breadfruit(We call it Mei) from Hawaii. I peel it, steam it and serve. Really good-summer is best for Mei cause its ready-this particular mei we ate tonight was from my aunt in Hilo. She sent me 4 boxes and I passed them around to widows and sick people. My mom took a box too.

Anyway, I like to cook.

Last edited by 18Montclair; 09-03-2009 at 09:11 PM..

Old 09-03-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:

Yeah I'm curious myself. I've only had bbq and roast pig at peoples' house parties as far as I can remember, and I've always been curious what all there normally was to eat. I'm gonna have to check out that restaurant.
Well, if the SF Forum ever has a meet, maybe I'll make some for y'all to try.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:43 PM

5 posts, read 16,301 times
Parents took a wrong turn around that area 25 years ago, they got surrounded, my dad floored drove up on the sidewalk and got away. I was a baby back then in my mom's arms. Who knows what might have happened that night.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:53 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,392,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griz134 View Post
I was visiting your lovely city this summer with my wife who was born and raised in San Francisco. We were visiting her aunt in Pacific City, and was returning to San Francisco in the evening and took a wrong exit. We ended up circling around Daly City, driving up and down Geneva Ave. Went by the Cow Palace a few times. Some of the streets we saw were Moscow, Vienna, Paris etc. It all looked pretty scetchy, and my wife was terrified. I asked her to stop at a 7-11 so I could ask dierctions, but there was a tough looking gang of guys hanging out in front so we passed. After about an hour of driving in circles with out of state plates, I was wondering if we are lucky to be alive. Does anybody know much about this area? Are we lucky to not have been carjacked, and murdered?
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....wow....I'm sorry, but stick to the small towns if Daly City scares you and turns into hours of getting lost.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Well, if the SF Forum ever has a meet, maybe I'll make some for y'all to try.
Sounds good to me!

Old 09-05-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....wow....I'm sorry, but stick to the small towns if Daly City scares you and turns into hours of getting lost.
Lol no this wasn't "Daly City" Daly City, it was the part near the Cow Palace that borders Sunnydale, which is one of SF's most dangerous hoods. And it sounds like she went all around the general area since the streets she named are in the Excelsior District. That whole side is pretty sketchy.

But I'd be laughing too if it was like Daly City around Gellert or St. Francis that had spooked her lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland