Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 08:17 PM

7,247 posts, read 3,776,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Shhhhh! That’s my hangout! I don’t want more people moving in on me either!
Don't worry, there's hardly any jobs on the Central Coast to bring people in. That's why no one lives there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2024, 09:14 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP isn't in the East Bay. It sounds like he's in northwest Sonoma county, where there's not only a lot of fog, there's cold ocean air in the winters. He likened it to San Francisco's micro-climate. He happened to end up in a somewhat unusual micro-climate for what's broadly defined as the Bay Area. He's barely within the boundaries of the Bay Area, in fact, edging on the North Coast. Almost anywhere in the Bay Area would be warmer, but he also wants to avoid a highly urban environment.
Still doesn't change much. The January average high in Sonoma is 56ºF compared to 54ºF for Sacramento. The average low is 38ºF for Sonoma vs 39ºF for Sacramento.

I doubt that a 1º higher nighttime temperature is going to satisfy the OP. The OP is clearly looking for a tropical climate.

Old 03-29-2024, 11:15 PM

35 posts, read 49,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're right that Santa Clara is urban, being basically part of the San Jose sprawl. You didn't say in your first post, that you wanted to avoid a hyper-urban environment.
I said quiet/no traffic, which implies the same thing. [quote] Start first with quality research this time.
I have done quality research. Davis is not high on the list and I'm looking at the whole state, so I can't know everything beforehand.

Old 03-30-2024, 02:36 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
[quote=starkid;66589559]
Quote:
Start first with quality research this time.
I have done quality research. Davis is not high on the list and I'm looking at the whole state, so I can't know everything beforehand.
I was just suggesting, that you make use of the specific sub-forums to zero in on areas you'd like to explore in more detail. Some of the folks on the Sac forum probably know Davis pretty well, for one example. One reason it's difficult to suggest areas around the state is, that there are pockets of conservatism, red-necky areas, and so on. Plus winters are colder in many areas. Also, I'm wondering if your sweet spot might be already nearby, elsewhere in Sonoma or Napa.

Old 03-30-2024, 03:53 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The winters in the Bay Area are too cold for you?

San Diego, Miami, Hawaii or maybe Southern Arizona. Those are about your only options for warmer winters in the US.
I live in SD, and while it's generally milder than the Bay Area, it's also still similar enough not to be in the category of Miami, Hawaii, or Phoenix. The least winter cold down here would be near the bay, where wind is minimal but the water keeps the nighttime temps up. You would expect 40s at night. If you go more inland, it also dips to frosty temps bc there are more clear nights than in the Bay Area in winter. The problem is that coastal sections of SD are way more expensive than Sonoma County. Ocean Beach is a SD community that would be perfect for that hippie vibe, organic food coops, that sort of thing, but it's just very pricey these days. Also subject to a lot of overcast at certain times of year. None of this is exactly what the OP wants.

Maybe somewhere on Maui or the Big Island of Hawaii you could find that sort of vibe along with the warmth. It's tough in the continental US bc most of the country gets at least occasional snow and ice storms, even hot areas like Texas. Those winter averages in some places mean it might be mild one week and then never get above freezing the next week. California is at least consistent...

Old 03-30-2024, 07:57 AM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Don't worry, there's hardly any jobs on the Central Coast to bring people in. That's why no one lives there.
Yes. That (jobs) and no water rights available for developments. Good. Yet still, more people try to squeeze in.

Old 03-30-2024, 10:37 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I live in SD, and while it's generally milder than the Bay Area, it's also still similar enough not to be in the category of Miami, Hawaii, or Phoenix. The least winter cold down here would be near the bay, where wind is minimal but the water keeps the nighttime temps up. You would expect 40s at night. If you go more inland, it also dips to frosty temps bc there are more clear nights than in the Bay Area in winter. The problem is that coastal sections of SD are way more expensive than Sonoma County. Ocean Beach is a SD community that would be perfect for that hippie vibe, organic food coops, that sort of thing, but it's just very pricey these days. Also subject to a lot of overcast at certain times of year. None of this is exactly what the OP wants.

Maybe somewhere on Maui or the Big Island of Hawaii you could find that sort of vibe along with the warmth. It's tough in the continental US bc most of the country gets at least occasional snow and ice storms, even hot areas like Texas. Those winter averages in some places mean it might be mild one week and then never get above freezing the next week. California is at least consistent...
San Diego is about 10 degrees warmer than the Bay Area in January. So it's a pretty big difference. But yeah, Hawaii would probably be the best option for the OP.

Old 03-30-2024, 10:48 AM

I think San Diego could be a good option for the OP, potentially. He could ask around on the SD forum to learn more. Is it a relatively liberal community, aside from the military base?

Old 03-30-2024, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yes. That (jobs) and no water rights available for developments. Good. Yet still, more people try to squeeze in.
Well, the OP would need find a Section 8 to squeeze into, but those smaller towns could suit him. He wants "quiet". Or maybe Paso Robles? IDK how it is conservative/liberal-wise... Paso can get a bit nippy in winter, though, due to the elevation.

Old 03-30-2024, 09:15 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
That's an unusual complaint: 'people here are too friendly.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland