Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 02:53 PM

100 posts, read 61,458 times

Advertisements

This is something I was thinking of earlier today based on my experience traveling. In general, I find places with warmer climates (both US states and other countries) to have people with warmer personalities. Places with colder climates tend to have more reserved, colder acting people.

On the warm end of the spectrum you have places like Mexico and Thailand. And on the other end you have places like Norway and Russia.

In the US, the southern states are generally chattier, more friendly, and more welcoming than people up north.

Does anyone else think this is true or are there outliers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2022, 03:04 PM

11,474 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Because freezing your nuts off just sucks! It is hard to engage in friendly conversation when your teeth are chattering.

Old 06-16-2022, 04:48 PM

426 posts, read 160,089 times
I don't understand this stereotype, but, hey, I've never lived in the North, so I don't know what they're like up there.

To be blunt, (and as someone who has lived in the South my entire life), I only see the "warmness" of people in the South (US) to be amongst their own in-group. They aren't so welcoming of you when you're different, and if they try to be, it is fake as can be. In fact, a lot of "friendly" interactions no matter with or by whom down here feel very forced and fake. Like when they say "How are you?" but they don't expect an actual answer.

Fake niceness doesn't get you very far. A lot of people down here are ultimately judgmental and exclusionary. Have dealt with it my whole life.

Plus, people are mixed. I have lived in the South my entire life and I'm on the less warm side of the spectrum. In public, I want to mind my own business and for people to mind their own business.

Old 06-16-2022, 04:51 PM

30,526 posts, read 16,222,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briskwheel View Post
This is something I was thinking of earlier today based on my experience traveling. In general, I find places with warmer climates (both US states and other countries) to have people with warmer personalities. Places with colder climates tend to have more reserved, colder acting people.

On the warm end of the spectrum you have places like Mexico and Thailand. And on the other end you have places like Norway and Russia.

In the US, the southern states are generally chattier, more friendly, and more welcoming than people up north.

Can't speak of other countries but in the USA, I find this only sort of true. Southerners will seem friendly to your face but they're only being polite. Hard to guess what they really think.

People up north don't leave any questions. They tell you to your face, with varying degrees of tact or courtesy, how they feel.

My preference is the open honesty.

Old 06-17-2022, 06:40 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:

Yes. Warm weather promotes outdoor activities, meeting other people, doing stuff together, outdoor parties, Festivals and such!
People are chattier, they are friends of everybody, although their friendships might be more shallow (lots of smiles, idle chatting) - that's my observation as well...

In colder climates people spend more time indoors, among limited amount of other people. They are more introverted.
Days are shorter, they go earlier to bed, stay at home etc...
They probably have less friends, therefore their friendships are more solid.

Old 06-17-2022, 07:47 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Can't speak of other countries but in the USA, I find this only sort of true. Southerners will seem friendly to your face but they're only being polite. Hard to guess what they really think.

People up north don't leave any questions. They tell you to your face, with varying degrees of tact or courtesy, how they feel.

My preference is the open honesty.
I agree with PAhippo.

I'll add: The southerners can think they have "warmer personalities" because of it's warm weather throughout most of the year, but northerners know that all that heat can have a negative affect on them also. Just as we tend to stay inside more when it's super cold they tend to stay inside more when it's super hot and/or humid.

Anyway, I usually try not to stereotype the U.S. regions since we all like different things. However, I will stay and live in the region I like best... the north!

Last edited by geebabe; 06-17-2022 at 08:38 AM..

Old 06-17-2022, 08:03 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,601,915 times
esumed false, due to absence of any metric. How do you measure "warmth of people" in this context.

In the American south, your new neighbors will bring you gifts and ask you what church y'all go to. Tell them you don't go to church, they never talk to you again. Warm. or not warm?

Missionary predation can look like social warmth. (How come spell-check rejects "predation")

Last edited by arr430; 06-17-2022 at 08:15 AM..

Old 06-22-2022, 01:04 PM

100 posts, read 61,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
esumed false, due to absence of any metric. How do you measure "warmth of people" in this context.
Mostly their reaction to strangers and how they treat them.

I've had people in some countries invite me into their shop, give me free food or drinks, and some even invited me over to their house for dinner. This was in India and Iran.

This type of thing would never happen in a Scandinavian country.

It seems this conversation is mostly talking about the US north and south and in regards to that comparison. Go into any shop in a northern state and compare the clerk's interaction to that of a southern state and I guarantee you the southern clerk will be more chatty and friendly.

I was just in a small town in Texas and the store clerk almost wouldn't let me leave because she was talking so much and asking so many questions. I never experienced this in any northern state I've lived in.

Old 06-22-2022, 04:00 PM

30,526 posts, read 16,222,191 times
Quote:
Mostly their reaction to strangers and how they treat them.

I was just in a small town in Texas and the store clerk almost wouldn't let me leave because she was talking so much and asking so many questions. I never experienced this in any northern state I've lived in.

And that's a good thing. I would find that very rude. I'm not in a store to make friends, I'm in there to shop. Not saying brief how-ya-doing questions are out of line but to keep someone there after the sale is made I'd find annoying.

Old 06-22-2022, 04:32 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,389,618 times
I am shocked to learn that Northerners and Southerners have different opinions. NOT!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics