Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2023, 10:33 PM

102,254 posts, read 108,199,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
This thread is nonsense.

Landlords everywhere are celebrating getting rent paid again, regardless of their political persuasion.
Welcome to the Bay Area and California forums, where any excuse to bash "libs" is pounced upon and exploited to the max for propaganda purposes. Never mind that some of the situations seized upon and thrashed around like a rabid dog with his favorite chew toy have little to do with reality. To wit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner;
People assume, assume, assume. Simply because someone owns a home in Berkeley, they're a liberal? Not only that, a mercenary liberal? Funny how conservatives are not accused of being mercenary, they're lauded for being "business-savvy".

Not everyone in Berkeley is liberal, just like where I live not everyone is arch-conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2023, 05:02 AM

2,045 posts, read 794,151 times
Yeah, a lot of landlords are scumbags, but they shouldn't be held back from getting their rent money.

Old 09-14-2023, 08:27 AM

21,772 posts, read 16,431,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
Yeah, a lot of landlords are scumbags, but they shouldn't be held back from getting their rent money.
A lot of *people* are scumbags (and a lot aren’t) … some scumbags become landlords (lots of quality people also become landlords). Everybody should get paid for services fairly provided.

Old 09-14-2023, 09:49 AM

7,529 posts, read 3,930,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This. I'm surprised none of them had to sell their property. If it had been me, I'd have been forced to sell, due to the loss of income with which to pay the mortgage.
A lot of them did sell. There's reports on local Bay Area news about it.

Old 09-14-2023, 09:51 AM

7,529 posts, read 3,930,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Antifa from Oakland.
"Tenant advocates."

Old 09-14-2023, 10:02 AM

102,254 posts, read 108,199,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
A lot of them did sell. There's reports on local Bay Area news about it.
That's very sad. Thanks for that bit of news. The LL's I got to know were just average people trying to get by. They weren't big operators, certainly not slumlords ripping off students desperate for housing, and that kind of thing.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 09-14-2023 at 10:10 AM..

Old 09-14-2023, 10:16 AM

2,418 posts, read 1,541,463 times
While I don't own any California rental properties, I will celebrate with the landlords.

The government should not be in the business of picking winners(tenants) & losers(landlords). The moratorium caused immense financial hardship to many property owners. And it went on way too long given the imagined threat. Notice that the government didn't suspend income tax collection? Car payments still had to be submitted. Utilities didn't get exempt from payment. Neither did mortgages, property tax, insurance and a bunch of other payments. So what caused rents to be some sort of sacred cow during the pandemic?

Old 09-14-2023, 10:39 AM

21,772 posts, read 16,431,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
While I don't own any California rental properties, I will celebrate with the landlords.

The government should not be in the business of picking winners(tenants) & losers(landlords). The moratorium caused immense financial hardship to many property owners. And it went on way too long given the imagined threat. Notice that the government didn't suspend income tax collection? Car payments still had to be submitted. Utilities didn't get exempt from payment. Neither did mortgages, property tax, insurance and a bunch of other payments. So what caused rents to be some sort of sacred cow during the pandemic?
… the specter of sudden additional mass homelessness.

The moratorium did cause immense financial hardship to the LL class. Brutal.
At the same time, the pandemic shutdown caused mass hardship on renters as well.
The difference between the two classes is that the LL own equity value … renters have zip.
Not saying that makes it ok for the LL to lose equity (by selling / refinancing). Just making the observations of the circumstances. Landlords had more opportunity to ride the storm. Not fair, of course.

Old 09-14-2023, 10:53 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,722,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
People assume, assume, assume. Simply because someone owns a home in Berkeley, they're a liberal? Not only that, a mercenary liberal? Funny how conservatives are not accused of being mercenary, they're lauded for being "business-savvy".

Not everyone in Berkeley is liberal, just like where I live not everyone is arch-conservative.
Correct, it's probably more around 80-90%......

Old 09-14-2023, 03:27 PM

2,045 posts, read 794,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
A lot of *people* are scumbags (and a lot aren’t) … some scumbags become landlords (lots of quality people also become landlords). Everybody should get paid for services fairly provided.
I saw a study ... and you are wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland