Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2023, 08:51 PM

4,657 posts, read 4,116,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
There is just not enough money there to be enticing enough to keep a team from leaving.
Any other reason is just jibberish.
There are plenty of other places that have much more money than a ghetto town like Oakland that can offer them better deals come or incentives to stay.

What exactly does Oakland have to offer?
It’s not lots of money and it darn sure isn’t public safety.

The sport teams leaving is similar to bad relationships where those involved start to want different things.

Oakland can still come out ahead and make a lot of money with the teams leaving.
All that land could be developed into a huge housing/rental/retail tax bonanza if it were handled properly.
How many units do you think could be fit onto all that land.
The money could be amazing, but I’m sure somebody will play a “shell game” and fleece the people out of it.
I mean it is Oakland after all.
This.

Just getting rid of the crime/grifter economy that comes with the stadium will be a net positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2023, 12:33 AM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Although Mark Davis may whine a bit, somehow I'm thinking he's not shedding too many tears over it (in fact, he's probably laughing all the way to the bank).

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports...kings-2896820/

The valuation of the Raiders continues to rise in Las Vegas, with the Silver and Black now worth $6.2 billion, making them the sixth-most valuable team in the NFL.

The Raiders have come a long way from 2015, when they were 31st in the 32-team NFL in these rankings.

A great example of the value of having a franchise in a place like Vegas (vs Oakland) that will obviously attract many more visiting fans than any stadium in the league (who wouldn't want to see a game mixed in with a fun vacation...it will be the same for the A's).

Issues like these are the type that bitter fans bring up. Most business people however would be thrilled.

Back then I remember reading estimates that Mark's net worth was $500 million.

The most recent estimate I read (this month) was $1.9 billion.

Old 10-26-2023, 01:47 AM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
Why did Oakland lose her sports teams?

Pretty sure organized looters just up and stole em.

Old 02-23-2024, 02:40 PM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
In my eyes it's all about a new stadium these days. The Oakland, O. Co. Coliseum, or whatever you want to call it, is decades old. Oakland has been due for a long time for a new, modern upgrade in venue. The failure to build one in the area has to be at least part of it. The 49ers are lucky they had Levi's Stadium built or they may have left also...

Las Vegas is certainly a perfect 'storm' also. Vegas is still in the Pacific Time Zone, it is a much bigger attractive city than Oakland, and reached out to build two new stadiums for MLB and NFL teams. It also didn't hurt they were granted an expansion NHL franchise upwards of 10 years ago...

Old 02-23-2024, 03:23 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
How do you wear out a stadium?

Old 02-29-2024, 07:29 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Having been there soon after it opened in 1966, when I was 14. I also attended many events and A's games there until we left the Bay Area in 1993. The last time we were there the wear and tear of thousands was very apparent. There was sewage backups, feral animals, mold, and broken seats. The restrooms were about what you expect at an old roadside gas station. (Even back then it was in a sketchy area where people locked their car doors as they got off the freeway at Hegenberger) That was 30 years ago and with another 30 years of wear since it has to be far worse today.

Old 02-29-2024, 09:21 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Not make any significant upgrades/renovations. Dodger and Angel stadium are pretty much the same age but have received upgrades, especially Angel Stadium. And Mt Davis ruined it for baseball.

Old 03-06-2024, 10:23 AM
CTC

668 posts, read 1,465,985 times
i grew up in Berkeley and remember many great times watching the A’s. They always over achieved and punched above their weight. The Coliseum was getting pretty shabby in the late 2000s the last time I attended a game

The downward spiral of Oakland continues

I busted 3 years ago for my Dads services

It was shocking to see how bad things were and how unsafe it felt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland