Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 03:18 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,756,429 times

Advertisements

They have record car break in's daily that are virtually never prosecuted. It's meth heads and homeless looking for items they can sell for their drug habits, and the police are so overworked they have no time for such things. This has gone on since the 80's when I lived there and gotten steadily worse. So property crime isn't trivial. Nor is the drug use, homelessness levels and denigration of several parts of the city. Of course it's NOT all of the city, but still. Bad enough to be a part of their reality. If you wish to just deny it and paint another picture you're delusional that's all there is to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 05:28 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,631,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llowllevellowll View Post
So, you haven't been back to visit but you're sure that it's an awful, liberal, literal-bleep show of a place?
They probably just watched another Fox News segment on SF. Judge Jeanine Pirro's recent story I assume.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:29 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,756,429 times
I have friends who live in the Bay Area and they aren't so blind to the problem as some here appear to be. They tell me all the time how trashy SF has become. So I have no idea why you're running from reality.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:35 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
They probably just watched another Fox News segment on SF. Judge Jeanine Pirro's recent story I assume.

What an incredibly effective news outlet Fox News must be to make the entire country believe SF has turned into a toilet for the homeless. I wonder how they do it.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:36 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,783,428 times
Which begs the question. If San Francisco is so horrible why is the median home price $1.7 million?
https://sf.curbed.com/2019/7/10/2068...francisco-2019

Old 08-27-2019, 07:36 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
SF does have serious issues regarding homeless and the negative affects of them... but I think the city has improved overall than even from when I lived there, which wasn't that long ago.

Old 08-27-2019, 07:42 PM

21,727 posts, read 16,331,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
Which begs the question. If San Francisco is so horrible why is the median home price $1.7 million?
https://sf.curbed.com/2019/7/10/2068...francisco-2019
Oh. Huh.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:48 PM

8,660 posts, read 3,856,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
I never thought I'd say this about my home city but it's true.
I grew up in SF in the 60-80's before moving out of state for a career change.
I have only been back maybe twice in that time and mostly hear about changes from acquaintances and the media/internet.
What has happened to what used to be 'Utopia'? I remember the charm and uniqueness of the city and Bay Area that earned it endearment to those who visited it from all over the globe.
Now I get sickened to see and hear of the filth and litter on the streets and the vast homelessness.
Liberalism went south on SF and it has apparently turned into a Hell-hole where anything and everything is acceptable. Like people defecating openly in public on the sidewalk and throwing feces at passerby's.
Sad but I don't know that I could stomach a visit the new SF today.
Hate to break it to you - but there is no ‘utopia’ anywhere. Focus on making your life the best it can be no matter where you are rather than being ‘sad’/consumed about a city you no longer live (which clearly irks you). It doesn’t sound as though you have any ties, friends or family here anyway - even though you grew up in the area.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:30 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,185,488 times
Much to the detrimental of the USA.. wherever Californians and New Yorkers out migrate too...in time those areas were they transplant to look exactly like where they came from....rundown, tons of homeless, unnaffordable housing...as CA's and NY'ers come into a new state and but a huge house ten times as much as what the locals can afford... Jacking up all the real estate in their New town and state.... Causing greed amongst the local Realtors and landlords... which in turn jack up all their prices of their apartments complexes. and in the end this creates more and more homeless less and less middle class and the impossibility for the lower income to afford any housing. so many of them wind up homeless or have to leave to a cheaper State like somewhere in the Midwest. Its an epidemic that is spreading like wildfire across the states wreaking havoc and creating hordes of homelessness and financial hell and hardship for everybody else... wherever they land. Sadly..the Californians have been invading Idaho lately. And just as predicted the rents in Boise Idaho are starting to go through the roof. The Californians already invaded Coeur d'Alene Idaho some years ago... Now that area is off-limits to the middle class and to the lower-income locals. Same thing happens to both Portland and Seattle years ago. Bend Or...Missoula Mt.are all other victims who have fell to the invasion of The Californians.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 08-28-2019 at 04:46 AM..

Old 08-28-2019, 05:08 AM

22 posts, read 25,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorman View Post
I never thought I'd say this about my home city but it's true.
I grew up in SF in the 60-80's before moving out of state for a career change.
I have only been back maybe twice in that time and mostly hear about changes from acquaintances and the media/internet.
What has happened to what used to be 'Utopia'? I remember the charm and uniqueness of the city and Bay Area that earned it endearment to those who visited it from all over the globe.
Now I get sickened to see and hear of the filth and litter on the streets and the vast homelessness.
Liberalism went south on SF and it has apparently turned into a Hell-hole where anything and everything is acceptable. Like people defecating openly in public on the sidewalk and throwing feces at passerby's.
Sad but I don't know that I could stomach a visit the new SF today.
It has little to do with "liberalism" (that catch-all pet word of grumpy old men). San Francisco imports homeless people from all over the country, some come willingly and others are bussed here by other cities. The city already spends more money on homelessness than any other city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland