Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 09:05 PM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times

Advertisements

HiIQ, what is your personality like? What do you want for your wife and children? Where are you most comfortable?

Newport Beach is glitzy and pretentious. Others may not agree, but compared to other places, it is. Marin County is more laid back. It's not nearly as pretentious. Like RMESMH said, Marin people are more comfortable with their money and themselves. Having lived there, to me it means that people aren't as flashy or pretentious. Conversations are deeper. People care more about social issues. People care more about their interests and hobbies instead of running around trying to impress people while acting unimpressed with everyone else.

What about Huntington Beach? It's a very nice city. There are some very nice neighborhoods very close to the beach. Yes, it's more conservative than you might like, but it's a great town and centrally located to Southern California and it's not pretentious. Another place is Naples, on the marinas in Long Beach. Great area.

Don't worry about things drying up in CA. I lived there my whole life, it ain't dryin' up. "They" will not let that happen. California has gone drought cycles many times before. Yes, it's critical. Still don't think CA will run out of water. If you're really worried, research it in depth. But do you really think zillions of CA citizens are going to parch to death?

Crime? It's not like it's overt and happening right under everyone's noses. Sure, it exists. It exists everywhere. You can obviously afford protection so what's the problem? You can walk on a beach or sit in a restaurant or have your children attend private schools. Live in a gated community. Again, what's the problem?

You're not going to live in San Francisco proper, so there's not an issue with politicians ruining the quality of life and safety from crime. Outlying areas aren't facing San Francisco's problems, thankfully. I'm liberal/left and I can't stand the politicians who have ruined San Francisco and refuse to rectify the problems. So glad I lived there when San Francisco was a truly great place to live.

Spend a couple weeks and really look at the areas you're interested in. Reading your posts, my impression is that you'd be much happier in Northern California compared to Southern California. I just put a couple suggestions because they came to mind.

I grew up in SoCal and lived in NorCal for many years. They have very different energies and flavors. Both areas have a lot to offer depending on what someone prefers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 09:16 PM

46 posts, read 46,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
HiIQ, what is your personality like? What do you want for your wife and children? Where are you most comfortable?

Newport Beach is glitzy and pretentious. Others may not agree, but compared to other places, it is. Marin County is more laid back. It's not nearly as pretentious. Like RMESMH said, Marin people are more comfortable with their money and themselves. Having lived there, to me it means that people aren't as flashy or pretentious. Conversations are deeper. People care more about social issues. People care more about their interests and hobbies instead of running around trying to impress people while acting unimpressed with everyone else.

What about Huntington Beach? It's a very nice city. There are some very nice neighborhoods very close to the beach. Yes, it's more conservative than you might like, but it's a great town and centrally located to Southern California and it's not pretentious. Another place is Naples, on the marinas in Long Beach. Great area.

Don't worry about things drying up in CA. I lived there my whole life, it ain't dryin' up. "They" will not let that happen. California has gone drought cycles many times before. Yes, it's critical. Still don't think CA will run out of water. If you're really worried, research it in depth. But do you really think zillions of CA citizens are going to parch to death?

Crime? It's not like it's overt and happening right under everyone's noses. Sure, it exists. It exists everywhere. You can obviously afford protection so what's the problem? You can walk on a beach or sit in a restaurant or have your children attend private schools. Live in a gated community. Again, what's the problem?

You're not going to live in San Francisco proper, so there's not an issue with politicians ruining the quality of life and safety from crime. Outlying areas aren't facing San Francisco's problems, thankfully. I'm liberal/left and I can't stand the politicians who have ruined San Francisco and refuse to rectify the problems. So glad I lived there when San Francisco was a truly great place to live.

Spend a couple weeks and really look at the areas you're interested in. Reading your posts, my impression is that you'd be much happier in Northern California compared to Southern California. I just put a couple suggestions because they came to mind.

I grew up in SoCal and lived in NorCal for many years. They have very different energies and flavors. Both areas have a lot to offer depending on what someone prefers.
Hi,

Looking for a community:

-Upper middle class
-beautiful views hills/mountains AND waterfront homes
-walkable with preferably a small town atmosphere walk to library, coffee shops, etc
-moderate temps (70-80s)
-Don’t have an office job, business owner about to sell and investor so can “work” from anywhere. May dabble in commercial development if I want.
-budget max $6MN, comfortably under $4MN. We will buy on the water ideally.
-Young kids. Public or private school is fine
-great eateries nearby
-SAFE and secure

I do not want to live in a bubble. Even if I tried to create a safe haven, there is only so much one can do. Teenage kids will sneak out at night, expose themselves to situations that may be considered high risk, etc. and I feel the town/neighborhood has to be generally safe overall. HB and NPB are like 10 minutes away from each other. The plastic vibe I got from that part of CA was not something I care for. If the parents have it, surely the kids (and peers of my own children) will have some issue.

I will visit, and stay at least a week in the Bay Area, maybe an Air BNB to get a neighborhood feel. What neighborhood(s) do you think I should stay in Marin? Mill Valley? Tiburon? Others?

We are probably slightly conservative by CA standards, or slightly liberal by TX standards.

Old 06-06-2022, 09:24 PM

I would stay central, like Corte Madera, or Larkspur but really Marin is small. I wouldn't stay in Tiburon if you want to explore the whole area. Like I said, it's a bit of a drive out to the edge of Tiburon.

OK this might not be very popular to say, and I haven't lived in Marin/Fairfax/San Geronimo Valley for a couple decades, but since it is so liberal and laid back, kids have exposure to things that could get them into trouble. When I lived there, which granted it might not be that way any longer, there were a lot of drugs, raves, parties, orgies, performance art venues, people slacking off and trying to hook up with a trust fund baby. I'm not trying to scare you off, just saying what it used to be like and I think someone who currently lives there should definitely chime in. I just know that I didn't want my own kids growing up in that environment. Even though I'm socially liberal (fiscally conservative) I am personally conservative. I forbade my kid going to UC Santa Cruz, for example. It's a great school, I just wanted him to focus on studies rather than the beach and weed.

I don't think you can go wrong with Marin. My kids were kept busy with team sports, theater, dance and school work so they didn't get into any bad habits or trouble. If you like the outdoors you can't go wrong. Marin is heaven especially when you have money to relax, not work so hard and explore all that the area has to offer.

Old 06-06-2022, 09:30 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
The wife and I are from Danville California but spend most of our time at our place in Washington.
There are some nice places in the PNW.

3-4M equals waterfront with privacy and an indoor pool if you want it.
Prices will only increase on these because there are only so many left.

Old 06-06-2022, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I would stay central, like Corte Madera, or Larkspur but really Marin is small. I wouldn't stay in Tiburon if you want to explore the whole area. Like I said, it's a bit of a drive out to the edge of Tiburon.

OK this might not be very popular to say, and I haven't lived in Marin/Fairfax/San Geronimo Valley for a couple decades, but since it is so liberal and laid back, kids have exposure to things that could get them into trouble. When I lived there, which granted it might not be that way any longer, there were a lot of drugs, raves, parties, orgies, performance art venues, people slacking off and trying to hook up with a trust fund baby. I'm not trying to scare you off, just saying what it used to be like and I think someone who currently lives there should definitely chime in. I just know that I didn't want my own kids growing up in that environment. Even though I'm socially liberal (fiscally conservative) I am personally conservative. I forbade my kid going to UC Santa Cruz, for example. It's a great school, I just wanted him to focus on studies rather than the beach and weed.

I don't think you can go wrong with Marin. My kids were kept busy with team sports, theater, dance and school work so they didn't get into any bad habits or trouble. If you like the outdoors you can't go wrong. Marin is heaven especially when you have money to relax, not work so hard and explore all that the area has to offer.
I am very protective of exposure for my young kids. I don't agree with the woke attitude of introducing topics of sex, dating, gender orientation, etc. issues until children are 14+, and even in TX the MS introduce these topics earlier. I get no satisfaction out of or care for "street cred" in being a "woke parent." I am not homophobic or a prude by any means, I just don't like certain topics being shoved down our throat, and would probably look for other parents like me so that we can raise our kids with similar values.

Old 06-06-2022, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
The wife and I are from Danville California but spend most of our time at our place in Washington.
There are some nice places in the PNW.

3-4M equals waterfront with privacy and an indoor pool if you want it.
Prices will only increase on these because there are only so many left.
Love the PNW (except the rain). I have posted this very topic in Vancouver, CA.

I'm down to these two now, Bay Area and Vancouver. Socal is out.

Old 06-06-2022, 09:46 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,295,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiIQ View Post
Thank you, that's the plan. Did that with OC a couple years ago. Ended up not liking it. Seemed a bit pretentious, people not comfortable with money or themselves. Somewhat plastic (Newport Beach) or old and sleepy (Laguna Beach) or no oceanfront (Laguna Niguel), or too cookie cutter or industrial (Irvine).
If you think Laguna Beach is too old, you might not like some Marin County locations that are only slightly less old.

Laguna Beach median age 51.2
Tiburon median age 49.1
Belvedere median age 49.3
Mill Valley median age 48.3

How about Huntington Harbor? That location epitomizes the waterfront lifestyle.

https://www.surfcityusa.com/about-hu...ngton-harbour/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...25298733_zpid/

Quote:
I do not want to live in a bubble. Even if I tried to create a safe haven, there is only so much one can do. Teenage kids will sneak out at night, expose themselves to situations that may be considered high risk, etc. and I feel the town/neighborhood has to be generally safe overall. HB and NPB are like 10 minutes away from each other. The plastic vibe I got from that part of CA was not something I care for. If the parents have it, surely the kids (and peers of my own children) will have some issue.
Marin County is famous for their teen drinking problems.

https://awhspitch.com/4749/in-depth/...-county-teens/

"Regular substance use and binge drinking rates in Marin are among the highest in California and are especially increasing among teenagers.

In Marin, teens are negatively impacted by a drinking culture made worse by wealth, privilege, academic pressures, and a focus on material success."

Old 06-07-2022, 04:49 AM

Quote:
I am very protective of exposure for my young kids. I don't agree with the woke attitude of introducing topics of sex, dating, gender orientation, etc. issues until children are 14+, and even in TX the MS introduce these topics earlier. I get no satisfaction out of or care for "street cred" in being a "woke parent." I am not homophobic or a prude by any means, I just don't like certain topics being shoved down our throat, and would probably look for other parents like me so that we can raise our kids with similar values.
Me neither. I have a relative who is raising her boys as girls. It's just so frustrating and sad. They are home-schooled and I have some issues with homeschooling as well. You won't have any trouble finding other parents like you. Most of them are, even in Marin. Marin has become more conservative in the last 10-15 years believe it or not, due to high income earners wanting to live in the bucolic suburbs while commuting to San Francisco or working from home.

Do NOT move to the Pacific Northwest or Vancouver if you do not like rain, or gloom. I was born in Portland. In my later years I spent 7 years there helping my elderly mother. I went crazy with the constant grey skies. gloom. In the seventh year, there were 50 days without blue sky or sun. I had gotten seasonal affective disorder and had a panic attack on the first day of summer. My mother had just passed away so I hightailed it to Scottsdale 2 months later. Before I left northern Oregon I was wearing corduroy pants turtlenecks two pairs of socks and loafers in August.

Last edited by pathrunner; 06-07-2022 at 04:58 AM..

Old 06-07-2022, 10:05 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:

Do NOT move to the Pacific Northwest or Vancouver if you do not like rain, or gloom. I was born in Portland. In my later years I spent 7 years there helping my elderly mother. I went crazy with the constant grey skies. gloom. In the seventh year, there were 50 days without blue sky or sun. I had gotten seasonal affective disorder and had a panic attack on the first day of summer. My mother had just passed away so I hightailed it to Scottsdale 2 months later. Before I left northern Oregon I was wearing corduroy pants turtlenecks two pairs of socks and loafers in August.
I'm from the Bay Area, but went to university in Seattle, and stayed there for many years afterwards. I didn't even noticed the gloom. I never heard the word "gloom" to describe the weather/environment. One reason I went to university there, was to get more variety in the weather; constant sunshine gets boring. The OP can get info from his thread on the Vancouver forum, and decide from there.

Marin is not necessarily Teen Party Central. It depends on the teens, on the parents, on the community or school, many things. If you invest time in your kids, taking them hiking to gain an appreciation of the extraordinary natural environment that Marin offers, to local and regional historical sites (be sure to check out Fort Ross in Sonoma, the old Russian fort from the days of Russian America), and other activities, you'll have an opportunity to instill the right values in your kids.

That is what the poster on the Vancouver forum, Mountain Surfer did, when raising his kids in Monterey, CA (which some people could say has the same teen risks as Marin), before moving to Vancouver for his kids' college phase. He has a great love of the outdoors, and raised his kids to share that, as well. They grew up with their dad, paddleboarding on Monterey Bay among the seals and dolphins, with the occasional whale in the distance. They hiked the hills in the area among the spring flowers, taking in the breathtaking views of the bay, and visiting the purple sands beach down the coast.

Now he paddleboards tributaries of the Columbia River. You've probably seen his photos on the forum. He has a website of his photos, that include shots from his explorations of the Monterey Bay and the Central CA coast, that's worth checking out. You might message him directly with any questions you might have about your concerns about the teen scene in coastal CA and Van, or any other questions you may have, comparing your two choices.

Enjoy your explorations of the two areas, and let us know what you decide. Oh, and btw: no state income tax in WA, and no capital gains tax! It's something to consider.

Old 06-07-2022, 10:09 AM

That is so interesting Ruth that you didn't notice the gloom up there. I think the Bay Area has the best weather of anywhere, myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland