Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2008, 05:43 PM

4 posts, read 10,627 times

Advertisements

I am an artist currently living in Anchorage thinking of moving to Santa Fe but also considering northern California -- north of San Francisco. I love wine, writing poetry, making art, walking, biking, quiet. Am hoping for work in a gallery, tourism or winery or whatever else I can do that isn't the traditional office 9 - 5pm. I currently run a home office for a tourism business but am seeking more sunshine, charm and a change of landscape. I realize both Santa Fe and Sonoma area are more expensive than Anchorage (rentals) but part of me wants to still live near the ocean. I love spanish architecture (no subdivisions) and prefer a place where small cottage or at least an apartment with character is available. -- I have been following the posts about Santa Rosa trying to get familiar with the area. I worry a bit about mold/fog that has been mentioned but don't want to live where it gets 100 degrees either. Calistoga sounds nice but have heard Sebastopol is a bit bohemian. I'm a bit bohemian. What about Sonoma? Any suggestions on art friendly towns where I might be able to get a job and a "charming" rental? I really appreciate your input. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 12:50 AM

4 posts, read 15,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpath View Post
I am an artist currently living in Anchorage thinking of moving to Santa Fe but also considering northern California -- north of San Francisco. I love wine, writing poetry, making art, walking, biking, quiet. Am hoping for work in a gallery, tourism or winery or whatever else I can do that isn't the traditional office 9 - 5pm. I currently run a home office for a tourism business but am seeking more sunshine, charm and a change of landscape. I realize both Santa Fe and Sonoma area are more expensive than Anchorage (rentals) but part of me wants to still live near the ocean. I love spanish architecture (no subdivisions) and prefer a place where small cottage or at least an apartment with character is available. -- I have been following the posts about Santa Rosa trying to get familiar with the area. I worry a bit about mold/fog that has been mentioned but don't want to live where it gets 100 degrees either. Calistoga sounds nice but have heard Sebastopol is a bit bohemian. I'm a bit bohemian. What about Sonoma? Any suggestions on art friendly towns where I might be able to get a job and a "charming" rental? I really appreciate your input. Thanks.

Ahhh... If you don't want 100 degree weather, stay away from Calistoga and Santa Rosa. They both get quite warm at times in the summer. The one advantage is that they don't stay warm for long periods like you see in the midwest... 3-5 days, then our natural air conditioning (fog) rolls in from the Pacific Ocean and cools things down. Sonoma isn't particularly bohemian, more tourist oriented. Sebastopol can get warm like Santa Rosa, but cools down just as quick, and is a little more eclectic than Santa Rosa. Guerneville might be more to your liking, just don't buy/rent any place less than 30-40 feet ABOVE the river in the summer. The Russian River can get very fierce with heavy rains, and much of the town has been flooded repeatedly. The same applies to anything downstream on the river...

Just about everywhere in the Bay Area is going to be expensive though... and the closer you get to San Francisco and Marin County, the more expensive it will be. Most parts of Marin, Napa, and Sonoma Counties are pretty expensive. Mendocino and Lake counties are less expensive, but further out, several hours from San Francisco and too far for most people to consider commuting.

Good Luck.

LateNightLarry
Wine Country, CA

Life is a Cabernet

Old 03-02-2008, 10:31 PM

4 posts, read 10,627 times
Default Sonoma County

Thanks LatenightLarry. Appreciate your input. I've been following threads and researching art councils, craigslist, etc and getting a better feel for the area. Since I work in both art/tourism Sonoma might be a good choice or areas west and north a bit. I'm planning a visit in May to figure it out first-hand.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:27 AM

46 posts, read 202,047 times
I live in Santa Rosa and have been in Sonoma County for nearly 20 years. We do have some 100+ degree days here every year, but it does tend to cool off at night which makes it tolerable. I've only ever heard of people living under the tall trees having trouble with dampness and mold. You might also want to investigate little places like Graton or Forestville. Both are right up the road from Sebastopol, but they're a little bit cheaper, and not a subdivision in sight. Out by the river, in addition to Guerneville, a great little town, there is also Cazadero, Monte Rio, or Rio Nido. Some of these places may not even show up on a map, but they are worth looking at if you can arrange a scouting expedition before you move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland