Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pick a reason why you use SFO, OAK or San Jose airports.
Because I am unaware of Sacramento's (SMF) numerous and expanding flight options. 5 13.16%
Sometimes I can save $100 on airfare although I am willing to spend $100-$200 just to get to SFO. 7 18.42%
My preferred airline does not fly out of SMF. 16 42.11%
I don't care that I have to deal with Bay Area traffic and the Bay Bridge. 3 7.89%
I stay with Bay Area friends and family the day before flying. 5 13.16%
I'm originally from the Bay Area and I'm used to using SFO/OAK/SJC airports. 5 13.16%
I don't care that I waste 2-4 hours getting to Bay Area airports. 12 31.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 12:15 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,042,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Hey marco, for all the fights you listed, including the Austin one I re-posted, did you compare by airline or are you mixing airlines within your list? Why didn't you list the airlines?

Regarding the Austin flight: totally not worth it to save $64 on airfare to drive all the way to SFO. 2-4 hours extra time wasted getting to SFO, stress from bay traffic, bay bridge, inconvenience to me and/or someone else, uber/lyft costs, parking costs, totally not worth it.
I went to expedia and typed in the first 3 large cities (but not "mega-cities", like NYC) that popped into my head - figuring they would be "representative" of places people might want to go. (I happen to have friends with a daughter in med school in Omaha.)

Then, I sorted the list by price (cheapest) and *tried* to pick the flight at each airport with the least time spent traveling that was also the cheapest (or within $5 or so). That just happens to be the way *I* pick flights - cheapest, then most convenient. I couldn't care less what airline (unless I have several choices that are about the same price). I didn't list airlines because (1) the are fungible - I don't care, and (2) it would have been more work (and I don't think it really matters much).

Actually, I picked 4 cities, but the 4th was such a hugely bad compare for SMF that I didn't list it - I figured you would be convinced I was picking them on purpose. My daughter went to London last summer so it was near the top of my list - go ahead and look at the price difference (and travel time difference). You *should* notice that one of my cities wasn't really THAT much difference in either money or time - that was the way the dice fell - I did NOT pick cities with an agenda in mind - all the cities are BIG places that I've travelled to (except for Omaha). Of course all of them WERE cities that were more than $20 apart ... unlike most of the examples that you posted. MY choices WERE random (well, just the first ones I thought of - I guess that doesn't technically qualify as "random").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 04:56 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,274,224 times
I fly all the time, and for a while, I used to include SAC in airport options when searching fares. I stopped doing that though, because never once was it ever cheaper for me to fly out of SAC, and even though it only takes a fraction of a second to click a box including SAC as a possible option, I'd rather not waste it.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:18 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,482,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I fly all the time, and for a while, I used to include SAC in airport options when searching fares. I stopped doing that though, because never once was it ever cheaper for me to fly out of SAC, and even though it only takes a fraction of a second to click a box including SAC as a possible option, I'd rather not waste it.
Yeah. Flying nonstop is a big deal for folks too...

SMF and OAK nonstop flights to Hawaii or Abroad.
SMF:
Aeromexico:
Guadalajara
Mexico City

Air Canada:
Vancouver

Alaska Airlines:
Kahului
San Jose del Cabo

Hawaiian Airlines:
Honolulu

Southwest Airlines:
San Jose del Cabo

Volaris:
Guadalajara

OAK:
Alaska Airlines:
Honolulu
Kahului
Kailua–Kona
Lihue

Azores Airlines:
Lisbon
Terceira

British Airways:
London–Gatwick

Hawaiian Airlines:
Honolulu
Kahului
Kailua-Kona
Lihue

Kona Shuttle:
Kailua–Kona

LEVEL:
Barcelona

Norwegian Airlines:
Barcelona
Copenhagen
London–Gatwick
Paris–Charles de Gaulle
Oslo-Gardermoen
Rome–Fiumicino
Stockholm–Arlanda

Southwest Airlines:
Puerto Vallarta
San Jose del Cabo

Volaris:
Guadalajara
León/Del Bajío
Mexico City
Morelia

Oakland has a bit more options.

Old 01-29-2018, 07:28 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,262,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post

Comparing OAK with SMF, non-stop to ATLANTA. Dates are in May 2018.

OAK has only one NON-STOP on Southwest, ugh, Southwest, lowest price $382

SMF has 3 NON-STOPS on Delta lowest price $360. Sacramento was less expensive than Oakland on a better class airline by $22.

Let's compare Southwest to Southwest with 1 stop same overall flight time for both Oakland and Sacramento.

Southwest - OAK to ATL - $388
Southwest SMF to ATL - $402
$14 difference, again so not worth it for a Sacramentan to drive to Oakland.

The days where bay airports are hugely different in airfare compared to Sacramento (SMF) are over for many routes on various airlines. SMF has definitely become more competitive ESPECIALLY when you factor in the cost of getting to a bay airport, and added stress and time lost.

Last edited by Chimérique; 01-29-2018 at 07:42 PM..

Old 01-29-2018, 07:41 PM

You bay folks are so funny, no-one is saying that SMF would replace SFO or OAK, especially Internationally.

Sacramentans still consider SFO as one of our primary airports just like someone from the far reaches of the bay area, like in Sonoma or Solano County.

Sacramento just happens to have a pretty fanstastic airport much closer to home with better and better options and more and more competitive fares.

I would think you bay folks would prefer that we didn't you bay airports, less crowds, less traffic.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
You bay folks are so funny, no-one is saying that SMF would replace SFO or OAK, especially Internationally.

Sacramentans still consider SFO as one of our primary airports just like someone from the far reaches of the bay area, like in Sonoma or Solano County.

Sacramento just happens to have a pretty fanstastic airport much closer to home with better and better options and more and more competitive fares.

I would think you bay folks would prefer that we didn't you bay airports, less crowds, less traffic.
Well u posed a question as your thread title.

Lots of people hate connecting flights and SMF is severely lacking in nonstop international flights.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well u posed a question as your thread title.

Lots of people hate connecting flights and SMF is severely lacking in nonstop international flights.
Keep in mind, I posted this thread in a Sacramento thread. Concerning SMF, I really don't care what bay area people think as they "never" use SMF. Error on my part, I should have said, Why do SACRAMENTANS still use SFO and OAK airports.

I'm interested in why Greater Sacramento area folks still use SFO or OAK, specifically why and how much trouble are they willing to go for such usage.

For example, do they always check SFO or OAK in their search, or are they like me in that I only include SFO when I'm flying to Asia. Do they have a price point, already knowing that most bay airfares will be less but it doesn't matter. My price point is $100-$300, if the difference is within that range I will choose SMF overwhelmingly.

Since OAK added more European destinations I started including OAK in my search, normally I wouldn't.

I would think you bay folks would prefer that Sacramentans didn't use bay airports as it would mean less crowds, less traffic.

Regarding DOMESTIC FLIGHTS, The days where bay airports are hugely different in airfare compared to Sacramento (SMF) are over for many routes on various airlines. SMF has definitely become more competitive ESPECIALLY when you factor in the cost of getting to a bay airport, and added stress and time lost.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Keep in mind, I posted this thread in a Sacramento thread. Concerning SMF, I really don't care what bay area people think as they "never" use SMF. Error on my part, I should have said, Why do SACRAMENTANS still use SFO and OAK airports.

I'm interested in why Greater Sacramento area folks still use SFO or OAK, specifically why and how much trouble are they willing to go for such usage.

For example, do they always check SFO or OAK in their search, or are they like me in that I only include SFO when I'm flying to Asia. Do they have a price point, already knowing that most bay airfares will be less but it doesn't matter. My price point is $100-$300, if the difference is within that range I will choose SMF overwhelmingly.

Since OAK added more European destinations I started including OAK in my search, normally I wouldn't.

I would think you bay folks would prefer that Sacramentans didn't use bay airports as it would mean less crowds, less traffic.

Regarding DOMESTIC FLIGHTS, The days where bay airports are hugely different in airfare compared to Sacramento (SMF) are over for many routes on various airlines. SMF has definitely become more competitive ESPECIALLY when you factor in the cost of getting to a bay airport, and added stress and time lost.
Again,
You asked why people use SFO or OAK over SMF and I gave 2 legitimate responses:

1. People like to fly nonstop.

2. SMF has no international flights outside of 3 cities in Mexico and 1 to Vancouver.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:49 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Again,
You asked why people use SFO or OAK over SMF and I gave 2 legitimate responses:

1. People like to fly nonstop.

2. SMF has no international flights outside of 3 cities in Mexico and 1 to Vancouver.
That seems to be falling on deaf ears in this thread.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:54 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,258,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That seems to be falling on deaf ears in this thread.
I agree that people, including myself, love flying nonstop, but the reason for that is to save time. It seems to me that driving a couple of hours, adding the expense of gas and parking, as well as the extra time needed at a more crowded Airport, at least substantially offsets that benefit. I suppose I've learned the hard way from living in San Diego now that it is infinitely more comfortable to fly in and out of the closest airport, enjoy shorter baggage check in lines, shorter security wait times, and save the aggravation of traveling to a more distant International Airport. Even when I've flown to Europe non-stop from LAX, I decided once was enough in actually driving to the airport 2 hours away. I subsequently started originating my flights from San Diego, even if that meant just taking a small Regional Jet from San Diego to LAX. Way more comfortable than driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento