Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 08:18 AM

4,226 posts, read 1,671,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
So you can slaughter a cow or a chicken, but shooting a fenced-in game animal is somehow "evil".

I think captive "hunting" is dumb to me because it is not really hunting but I don't see the problem here, unless you are trying to make one out of thin air. There is a market for captive "harvesting" (I mean, it is not REALLY hunting"), it is free market, it makes somebody happy while making somebody else money, and who does it hurt?

I can't think of a single reason why it should be illegal, especially when the game is raised right on the property and would't exist in nature otherwise.

Captive harvesting seems dumb and pointless to me but it shouldn't be outlawed IMHO. But that is how politics works. The majority opposes something and they oppress the minority as lont as the constitution doe not prohibit that oppression.

If you don't like it, change states. There will always be some state that allows captive harvesting for a guy in a wheelchair or with bad hips who can't walk far. He can take a vacation to that state and cull an animal on some guys property there.

I am glad that Rhode Island can set its own laws and glad that residents can choose to stay or to leave.
The carnivores in this forum can't seem to comprehend their hypocrisy. Their fried chicken is a product of cruelty and suffering beyond that of any form of hunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 08:20 AM

11,460 posts, read 5,989,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBoston View Post
The carnivores in this forum can't seem to comprehend their hypocrisy. Their fried chicken is a product of cruelty and suffering beyond that of any form of hunting.
Ain't that the truth.

And nobody cares about fish. Fish are ugly, so what the heck if you wreck their face with a hook, bash their heads and leave them squirming on a stringer all day long. But Bambi! Oh noes, don't shootz cute Bambi!!!!!

Old 04-22-2024, 08:22 AM

12,848 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am going to guess that game animals standing quietly in a fenced field are going to be more likely to die quickly and humanely from a heart shot from a scoped rifle resting on a fence post 50 yards away, than game animals in the mountains from some yahoo hunter who is too lazy to stalk an animal and then shoots it with a lousy shot in the gut from 300 yards off, and he is too lazy to track it so the animal suffers in pain for the next 2 days bleeding out, if it doesn't get ripped to shreds alive by some passing predator.

But I am not a hunter, so what do I know?
But the animal 300 yards off in the wild is much harder to hit, has a very realistic chance of escape because it's not fenced in, and through both instinct and environment, is conditioned to be alert and fearful and flee at the sign of anything that could be a potential threat (even the sound of a twig snapping). It has a very real chance of surviving unharmed. And of course, the hunter actually has to do the work to get within 300 yards of it. The fenced in animal cannot escape and was likely raised by people so it doesn't have the same self-preservation instincts. And there's certainly no guarantee of a "heart shot" even at 50 yards. It has zero chance of surviving and a high likelihood of a traumatic and prolonged end.

You could easily argue that both are wrong (and as a former hunter, I'd tend to agree). But I don't buy the argument that the fenced example is somehow more humane. Not even close. It also lacks any hint of challenge which is something that most hunters seek.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Make no mistake about it, there are very well known and maligned issues with the meat production industry. Unsanitary and inhumane conditions, cruel practices, etc., and many people are fighting to change that. But the fact that those cruel practices exist mean it should be OK to allow similar practices for recreational hunting. In addition, captive hunting prolongs the killing experience relative to meat production, and often leads to maiming and longer suffering before death. It's not exactly the same thing.
I don't think you even begin to understand the extent and duration of suffering endured by sentient animals in the meat and poultry industry. I'm guessing it's more likely that you'd rather not understand.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:26 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,696,584 times
"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be vegetarian." -Paul McCartney

Old 04-22-2024, 08:28 AM

12,848 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
This is absolutely true. But while there's a whole lot of room for improvement, large scale food production is a necessary evil to feed the nation. Captive hunting is killing for pleasure and without any semblance of "sport." They are not the same thing.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:30 AM

11,460 posts, read 5,989,164 times
Quote:
But the animal 300 yards off in the wild is much harder to hit, has a very realistic chance of escape because it's not fenced in, and through both instinct and environment, is conditioned to be alert and fearful and flee at the sign of anything that could be a potential threat (even the sound of a twig snapping). It has a very real chance of surviving unharmed. And of course, the hunter actually has to do the work to get within 300 yards of it. The fenced in animal cannot escape and was likely raised by people so it doesn't have the same self-preservation instincts. And there's certainly no guarantee of a "heart shot" even at 50 yards. It has zero chance of surviving and a high likelihood of a traumatic and prolonged end.

You could easily argue that both are wrong (and as a former hunter, I'd tend to agree). But I don't buy the argument that the fenced example is somehow more humane. Not even close. It also lacks any hint of challenge which is something that most hunters seek.
Yes, the animal 300 yards off is so harder to hit. That is why there are so many more yahoos shooting at it and merely wouding it to die horribly over time, than marksmen who can make a 300 yard kill shot and humanely kill it down in a few minutes.

So what if a fenced in animal does not die immediately from a 50 yard shot. "Prolonged end". You have no clue what you are talking about. A fended animal has nowhere to hide. The shooter can immediately follow up and shoot the animal dead after a bad first shot. Unlike in the wild, where an animal that has his bleeding back leg smashed by the bullet from a bad shot, winds up having to drag that leg around for a couple of days in pain while the animal slowly and painfully bleeds out.

You don't get it.

Once again, a cow has no chance to escape the stockyard slaughterhouse either. Why is Bambi any different? Just "cuter"?

I have no clue how you people think. None at all. Feelings before logic.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:34 AM

8,031 posts, read 4,696,584 times
Quote:
This is absolutely true. But while there's a whole lot of room for improvement, large scale food production is a necessary evil to feed the nation. Captive hunting is killing for pleasure and without any semblance of "sport." They are not the same thing.
Except cheap meat made available by cruelty & suffering isn't a necessity evil. Just an evil.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Really? "Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."........Albert Einstein.

Old 04-22-2024, 08:42 AM

10,738 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Really? "Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."........Albert Einstein.
While Einstein was a smart dude, is this an area in which he had notable expertise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island