Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:11 AM

3,778 posts, read 2,692,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Your father should have gone to the grocery store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Hard to believe a war veteran would raise somebody with such thin skin.
I have taken the (admittedly low caliber) pot shots you and your groupie have fired, and they have bounced off my skin. But I’ll be damned if I am going to tolerate some useless POS give idiotic advice about what my father “should have done” to provide for his family. And yes, he was a war veteran.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:35 AM

12,833 posts, read 22,009,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I grew up in a hunting family. I learned about guns when I was young. We had several in my household, and I learned to shoot at a young age. I remember vividly the first time I saw an animal hunted, killed, and field stripped. I was in fourth or fifth grade, and to be frank that first time made me a little queasy. I understand and support hunting to put food on the table. My parents are fond of telling me that venison was my favorite food as a baby. But that was hunting in the wilds of Oregon, not trophy shooting where the animal is captive and hasn’t a chance. That’s killing for the sake of killing. My father hunted for food to feed his family and I support that. Hunting a captive animal isn’t hunting, it’s self pleasuring.
This doesn't sound dissimilar to my childhood. My dad grew up hunting, fishing, and trapping in rural Virginia. He taught me how to shoot (at the Tiverton Rode & Gun Club, actually), and we went on numerous deer and duck hunting trips as I was growing up.

I never got into it. I wasn't horrified by it, but we didn't need to hunt to eat and I would have been much happier going to national parks or on nature photography trips as a means of spending time with my dad. I didn't see why we needed to kill even though we did eat what we shot. But my worst experience by far was the one time we were invited to do a captive grouse hunt at a place in Middleborough, MA (I think it was Middleborough). It was pathetic. The birds were released from cages minutes before we approached the area and dogs would "flush" them into the open. The pitch was that it's not "cruel" because the birds could fly away. But the birds were captive bred, and clearly had no fear of humans. They didn't try to fly off, and weren't even phased by the dogs. Having done grouse hunts in the wild, it was bizarre. I was probably 12 or 13, but I vividly remember my dad yelling at the guy who made up an excuse about the recent rain preventing them from flying.

I'm not a hunter and have no interest in ever hunting again; but I don't begrudge most hunters. But captive hunting is a shameful practice and should have been banned long ago.

Old Today, 07:37 AM

10,728 posts, read 5,661,282 times
I would suggest that RI look to Texas (or South Africa) to see how high fenced hunting can happen in a positive manner.

Old Today, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I have taken the (admittedly low caliber) pot shots you and your groupie have fired, and they have bounced off my skin. But I’ll be damned if I am going to tolerate some useless POS give idiotic advice about what my father “should have done” to provide for his family. And yes, he was a war veteran.
Due to the source, no insult those two have ever tossed my way has carried any weight whatsoever. But it does seem like they're getting nastier and more personal recently. Your father sounds like a great guy, though I'm not surprised that would be lost on couple of particularly angry and dim posters.

Old Today, 07:45 AM

5,168 posts, read 6,133,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Due to the source, no insult those two have ever tossed my way has carried any weight whatsoever. But it does seem like they're getting nastier and more personal recently. Your father sounds like a great guy, though I'm not surprised that would be lost on couple of particularly angry and dim posters.
I don’t think they are going to stop until they have bullied and belittled every poster here to the point where they are the only two posting which I think is their platform.

If you look back say five or so years there were so many great contributors in this forum that have left due to their negativity and attacks.

They are doing the same thing in the Boston forum.

Old Today, 07:53 AM

11,461 posts, read 5,980,816 times
So you can slaughter a cow or a chicken, but shooting a fenced-in game animal is somehow "evil".

I think captive "hunting" is dumb to me because it is not really hunting but I don't see the problem here, unless you are trying to make one out of thin air. There is a market for captive "harvesting" (I mean, it is not REALLY hunting"), it is free market, it makes somebody happy while making somebody else money, and who does it hurt?

I can't think of a single reason why it should be illegal, especially when the game is raised right on the property and would't exist in nature otherwise.

Captive harvesting seems dumb and pointless to me but it shouldn't be outlawed IMHO. But that is how politics works. The majority opposes something and they oppress the minority as lont as the constitution doe not prohibit that oppression.

If you don't like it, change states. There will always be some state that allows captive harvesting for a guy in a wheelchair or with bad hips who can't walk far. He can take a vacation to that state and cull an animal on some guys property there.

I am glad that Rhode Island can set its own laws and glad that residents can choose to stay or to leave.

Old Today, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
So does yours.

Your fathers are probably why you guys turned out this way. Interpret that how you wish.
He's a great guy. A charitable man, a Vietnam War vet and Purple Heart recipient who went on to raise a family, have a successful career, and who is now doing environmental preservation work in his well-deserved retirement.

Seeing as context exists and I have at least 2 functioning brain cells, I interpreted your post the only way there is to interpret it. But your opinion of my father carries as much weight with me as your opinion of everything else. So no need to try and pretend like there's another way to interpret that.

Old Today, 08:03 AM

8,022 posts, read 4,692,558 times
Quote:
As more regular poster here are rising up to say, "we've had enough of you", their low brow attempts to dominate the conversations have become nastier & more personal.

Old Today, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
So you can slaughter a cow or a chicken, but shooting a fenced-in game animal is somehow "evil".

I think captive "hunting" is dumb to me because it is not really hunting but I don't see the problem here, unless you are trying to make one out of thin air. There is a market for captive "harvesting" (I mean, it is not REALLY hunting"), it is free market, it makes somebody happy while making somebody else money, and who does it hurt?

I can't think of a single reason why it should be illegal, especially when the game is raised right on the property and would't exist in nature otherwise.

Captive harvesting seems dumb and pointless to me but it shouldn't be outlawed IMHO. But that is how politics works. The majority opposes something and they oppress the minority as lont as the constitution doe not prohibit that oppression.

If you don't like it, change states. There will always be some state that allows captive harvesting for a guy in a wheelchair or with bad hips who can't walk far. He can take a vacation to that state and cull an animal on some guys property there.

I am glad that Rhode Island can set its own laws and glad that residents can choose to stay or to leave.
Make no mistake about it, there are very well known and maligned issues with the meat production industry. Unsanitary and inhumane conditions, cruel practices, etc., and many people are fighting to change that. But the fact that those cruel practices exist mean it should be OK to allow similar practices for recreational hunting. In addition, captive hunting prolongs the killing experience relative to meat production, and often leads to maiming and longer suffering before death. It's not exactly the same thing.

Old Today, 08:12 AM

11,461 posts, read 5,980,816 times
Quote:
Make no mistake about it, there are very well known and maligned issues with the meat production industry. Unsanitary and inhumane conditions, cruel practices, etc., and many people are fighting to change that. But the fact that those cruel practices exist mean it should be OK to allow similar practices for recreational hunting. In addition, captive hunting prolongs the killing experience relative to meat production, and often leads to maiming and longer suffering before death. It's not exactly the same thing.
I am going to guess that game animals standing quietly in a fenced field are going to be more likely to die quickly and humanely from a heart shot from a scoped rifle resting on a fence post 50 yards away, than game animals in the mountains from some yahoo hunter who is too lazy to stalk the animal and then shoots it with a lousy shot in the gut from 300 yards off, and he is too lazy to track it so the animal suffers in pain for the next 2 days bleeding out, if it doesn't get ripped to shreds alive by some passing predator.

But I am not a hunter, so what do I know?

This whole thing just sounds misguided, like when Californias banned horse slaughter for "soap factories". Californians wanted to save old horses and banned horse slaughter. Instead of the quick, painless death for old horses, ranchers -- now banned from selling them for slaughter -- just piled them into trailers and released them on the prarie to starve to death, because they no longer had the ability to survive on their own, being they were old and weak.

Politicians are incapable of understanding the "Law of Unintended Consequences".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
View detailed profiles of: