Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 07:51 AM

17,655 posts, read 9,168,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Always go to Oakland Beach location for clam cakes but never seen the beach parking lot littered with liquor bottles like in your picture but if you took that picture there then I believe you.
When was the last time you were actually in Rhode Island? Decades ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2024, 08:08 AM

5,135 posts, read 6,129,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Actually October and part of November of this past year. Please don't ask me to provide pictures.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:09 AM

Old 03-25-2024, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Always go to Oakland Beach location for clam cakes but never seen the beach parking lot littered with liquor bottles like in your picture but if you took that picture there then I believe you.
Quote:
Quote:
Actually October and part of November of this past year. Please don't ask me to provide pictures.
You didn't see any nips?

Old 03-25-2024, 08:26 AM

Quote:
You didn't see any nips?
Nope not a one but I can't say I was actually looking for them.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:31 AM

Quote:
You didn't see any nips?
Quote:
Nope not a one but I can't say I was actually looking for them.
You don't need to look for them. You can't miss them...they're even on suburban side streets in nicer areas.

Old 03-25-2024, 11:24 AM

9,280 posts, read 14,894,337 times
I think we don't have a bottle bill is because Waste Management redeems them from our recycling bins and makes money.
The reason I think this is because bottle collectors used to come through neighborhoods on trash days picking up bottles from recycling bins and turning them in for 5 cents or whatever.

Then the towns made this illegal or at least I know Prov did! Thought this was awful because it was a way for the very poor to make a few bucks and they weren't hurting anyone.

Just guessing...am I wrong? Is it WM?

Old 03-25-2024, 11:29 AM

23,519 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
From what I understand, Fireball is the brand of choice in RI.

That is correct.

Old 03-25-2024, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I think we don't have a bottle bill is because Waste Management redeems them from our recycling bins and makes money.
The reason I think this is because bottle collectors used to come through neighborhoods on trash days picking up bottles from recycling bins and turning them in for 5 cents or whatever.

Then the towns made this illegal or at least I know Prov did! Thought this was awful because it was a way for the very poor to make a few bucks and they weren't hurting anyone.

Just guessing...am I wrong? Is it WM?
Here in our city WM charges the city a fee which is included in the contract with the city to pick up recycling. The city passes it on to us.

You are right though as I remember reading a few years back in ProJo a retired veteran got arrested for emptying recycle bins early mornings.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:40 AM

5,475 posts, read 6,296,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
The Third World is now here.

I remember seeing Third World crime tactics years ago. Things like people on scooters sweeping in to grab purses and phones. That is now here. Things like criminals following people home from the bank and robbing them. That is now here. Things like ramming cars into store fronts to steal a pittance. That is now here.

We are now awash with Third World crime tactics, like all these car break ins.

The next tactic will be kidnap-ransom. Your kid will be kidnapped when out playing around and it will take $5k to get him back, wired to a bank account in Venezuela. It is coming folks. We either go nuclear on criminals now, or it is coming.
You are so right, and I don't understand how so many here just insist on downplaying the high level of crime, ignorant behavior and drug/alcohol addiction going on in our schools, our towns, cities, and state, heck, the entire country. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island