Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 10:34 PM

17,653 posts, read 9,168,053 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9E_yNUd9i8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2024, 10:39 PM

17,653 posts, read 9,168,053 times
How to watch Rhode Island FC matches this season

Many will be on NESN, including the debut against New Mexico United. Saturday, March 16 at 4:00 PM.

Old 03-16-2024, 03:37 PM

4,364 posts, read 3,188,372 times
New Mexico pulls ahead 1-0 in 68th minute. For the middle part of the game RIFC looked stronger and were unfortunate in having a nice shot hit the woodwork

Old 03-16-2024, 04:00 PM

Woo hoo, Mark Doyle first RIFC scorer in history! Tied up.

Old 03-16-2024, 05:18 PM

3,754 posts, read 2,689,069 times
I am curious: which color paint dried first, the Rhode Island or New Mexico hue? Or did they dry at the same rate?

Old 03-16-2024, 05:53 PM

Actually, Mark Doyle DIDN'T score the 1st goal in RIFC history. It was scored an own goal, so that honor is still up for grabs.

Old 03-16-2024, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I am curious: which color paint dried first, the Rhode Island or New Mexico hue? Or did they dry at the same rate?
Ha, ha, took me a minute. But correct me if I'm wrong, you are a fan of the game that has at a minimum 18 commercial breaks and long stretches of nothing at all happening on the field?

I'm sorry the PawSox were bought by a wicked greedy capitalist. It's not a PawSox/RIFC choice. I'd be happy to support both.

Old 03-17-2024, 03:13 PM

3,754 posts, read 2,689,069 times
I will probably attend an RIFC game when the stadium opens. But I find the sport dull to the point of torture on tv, even in a pub with friends. I can’t bring myself to care.

I don’t really pay all that much attention to professional baseball these days. The pandemic response broke me of the habit. I went to Fenway once last year. These days, I actually prefer to have a Sox game on the radio in the background while doing something else, than attending in person. I think I have stated here that the fan experience has changed for the worse. I have enjoyed seeing some Newport Gulls games, and might do that again this year instead of making the drive to Fenway.

Capitalism is good—why do so many people around here say otherwise?. I just have a problem with taxpayers footing the bill for a business. But keeping the PawSox would have been cheaper than Tidewater Landing. Keeping government out of this mix acts as a check on “too greedy” capitalists.

Old 03-18-2024, 07:33 AM

12,820 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ormari View Post
I will probably attend an RIFC game when the stadium opens. But I find the sport dull to the point of torture on tv, even in a pub with friends. I can’t bring myself to care...
I will too, but I don't have a ton of interest before that. I realize that the public investment in Tidewater Landing is dubious (at best), but it does look nice and I'm genuinely curious to experience it when it opens. I couldn't care less about soccer (especially at this level), but I like a good gameday atmosphere regardless of the sport. Friars Basketball games have long been a favorite event of mine.

I still enjoy Fenway. And I realize this is an extremely unpopular opinion (and might be grounds for being banned from the RI forum), but I don't miss McCoy. I miss having the Pawsox locally and I enjoy the minor league baseball experience (it's much more intimate), but McCoy itself was merely OK. I grew up going to games there, so I appreciate the nostalgia aspect, but it was dated, poorly located, and just fairly unremarkable. Say what you want about the WooSox and everything that went down with the relocation, but I enjoy going to games at Polar Park much more than I ever enjoyed going to McCoy. I wish they were able to get a Providence stadium or a new Pawtucket park, but I'll take Polar over McCoy any day.

Old 03-18-2024, 08:36 AM

23,519 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I still enjoy Fenway. And I realize this is an extremely unpopular opinion (and might be grounds for being banned from the RI forum), but I don't miss McCoy. I miss having the Pawsox locally and I enjoy the minor league baseball experience (it's much more intimate), but McCoy itself was merely OK. I grew up going to games there, so I appreciate the nostalgia aspect, but it was dated, poorly located, and just fairly unremarkable. Say what you want about the WooSox and everything that went down with the relocation, but I enjoy going to games at Polar Park much more than I ever enjoyed going to McCoy. I wish they were able to get a Providence stadium or a new Pawtucket park, but I'll take Polar over McCoy any day.

For some of us, I think the thing is that there wasn't necessarily anything "wrong" with McCoy. Of course Polar is better. Like with everything else people have just become a lot more demanding, and it comes at a great cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island