Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2023, 09:59 AM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

In Maine one can legally carry with no permit, and purchase a firearm without a background check. It's also the safest state in the country, by a good margin. Pushing Chicago style gun control on its residents is going to be a very tough sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2023, 10:20 AM

5,111 posts, read 2,668,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
And requiring a permit doesnt make people do anything to get that training. It is only a hurdle. Do you think that criminals who would carry are going to go through the process of getting a permit?

I do think training is a good idea. However, I have not heard of a criminal who went through training first anyway.
It certainly can if the regulation is written and enforced properly. I've got plenty of experience with criminals, don't worry about that. There are other types of handgun injuries and deaths to be concerned with as well. And a lot of yahoos in the world who think they know everything. Criminals will carry but if the laws for doing so carry heavy penalties and are strictly enforced, fewer would take that chance.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:22 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
It certainly can if the regulation is written and enforced properly. I've got plenty of experience with criminals, don't worry about that. There are other types of handgun injuries and deaths to be concerned with as well. And a lot of yahoos in the world who think they know everything.
How is requiring a permit going to force criminals get training?

Old 04-06-2023, 10:30 AM

Quote:
How is requiring a permit going to force criminals get training?
You're still following the false logic that the only problem from handguns is criminals. It's certainly the biggest, but not the only problem. It's another conversation about what the justice system does with criminals who do carry handguns.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:32 AM

Quote:
You're still following the false logic that the only problem from handguns is criminals. It's certainly the biggest, but not the only problem. It's another conversation about what the justice system does with criminals who do carry handguns.
Then educate me on how you think that requiring permits would help. Its not like this law allows people to go around shooting people. I do not understand what requiring a permit does to stop anyone.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Then educate me on how you think that requiring permits would help. Its not like this law allows people to go around shooting people. I do not understand what requiring a permit does to stop anyone.
As I said, it can require training to help prevent accidental deaths. It can also require universal background checks to carry concealed since private purchases of handguns don't require such. UBC are associated with less gun deaths.

That, coupled with strict penalties and enforcement will likely lower accidental deaths, thefts of guns, and also deter more criminals from carrying if, and only if, the penalties are established and enforced. Criminal behavior doesn't all fall into one category such that anybody inclined to commit crime will do so regardless of the situation. There are variables in play like deterrence.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:40 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,404,630 times
It's no secret that I'm pro-gun, but that said, too many people think with their Finger instead of their Brains. Therefore it's not really the Gun I'm worried about, but Firing it. There needs to be Strict Laws and Penalties to match about "Illegally" firing a Gun. So strict, although fairly, that many will think twice about carrying one. Hopefully they will know themselves good enough ahead of time to leave it at home, instead of Firing one in the heat of the moment, which I would say is a large percentage of the problem. This way the biggest part of the issue should fix itself.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:43 AM

Quote:
As I said, it can require training to help prevent accidental deaths. It can also require universal background checks to carry concealed since private purchases of handguns don't require such. That, coupled with strict penalties and enforcement will likely lower accidental deaths, thefts of guns, and also deter more criminals from carrying if, and only if, the penalties are established and enforced. Criminal behavior doesn't all fall into one category such that anybody inclined to commit crime will do so regardless of the situation. There are variables in play like deterrence.
And people should be trained. I agree. Who pays for what is suppose to be a right?

There are already back ground checks to purchase a firearm. That has nothing to do with concealed carry.

Then enforce the laws. Requiring a permit for concealed carry doesnt enforce any laws if they arent enforced.

By the way, Florida is the 26th state that no longer requires a permit for concealed carry. From what I have been able to tell there was no drastic increase in firearm laws in the other states.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
It's no secret that I'm pro-gun, but that said, too many people think with their Finger instead of their Brains. Therefore it's not really the Gun I'm worried about, but Firing it. There needs to be Strict Laws and Penalties to match about "Illegally" firing a Gun. So strict, although fairly, that many will think twice about carrying one. Hopefully they will know themselves good enough ahead of time to leave it at home, instead of Firing one in the heat of the moment, which I would say is a large percentage of the problem. This way the biggest part of the issue should fix itself.
I find nothing wrong with strict penalties when someone inappropriately fires a firearm.

Old 04-06-2023, 10:45 AM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
There needs to be Strict Laws and Penalties to match about "Illegally" firing a Gun. So strict, although fairly, that many will think twice about carrying one.

The key is also a justice system that is willing to ENFORCE those laws and penalties. Getting real tired of seeing the same dirtbag thugs turned back out on the streets of Providence after their 5th or 6th arrest on weapons violations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Rhode Island