Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 10:10 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,420,229 times

Advertisements

I'm curious what folks on a tight retirement budget allow themselves for montly food budget? I have absolutely no idea what I spend on groceries each month. I don't go out much to each - mostly to keep weight off - but anyone fathom a guess what their shoestring budget for groceries may be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 12:01 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,398,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I'm curious what folks on a tight retirement budget allow themselves for montly food budget? I have absolutely no idea what I spend on groceries each month. I don't go out much to each - mostly to keep weight off - but anyone fathom a guess what their shoestring budget for groceries may be?
I do budget about $135 a month but mostly I spend about $60-80 a month. I am single and a big eater. I do not eat in restaurants. I cook all my own meals.

I buy mostly stable and do not buy convenience foods. When, I do cook, I do not cook for one; I cook for four-eight and eat for two. I do not eat meat every day. I used dry legumes, rice pasta and many different vegetables, whatever cheap and in season. I eat fresh fruit everyday; again what is cheap and in season.

I do not buy the most expensive cuts of meat. For Beef, I never eat a steak from the loin or the rib. Many times, I will buy round steak. I break down the round with the "top"(inside), being tenderer, I use for stir fry and a small steak. The "bottom"(outside), I use for braised dishes, or I grind with any trimmings. I use the eye round for a small pounded steak.

For Pork, I buy full loins, break them up for chops and stir fry. For Poultry, whole chickens, or parts, what ever is cheaper. I sometime buy whole turkeys, when they sell at the holidays, for $5-6 dollars. I break them up, breast for cutlets. I bone legs and thighs; use them, for example, for grilling with olive oil, rosemary, garlic lemon juice and serve with hummus made from dried garbanzos. Sometimes I bake a half turkey, a quarter turkey, or just a leg and thigh, boned or boneless.

I use many dried beans and I make many purees of white, lentils, garbanzos, pintos, black. That with a tortilla and I have a nice meal. I am a big fan of lentils because they cook fast and I make lentil burgers, lentil loaf. All and any bean and legumes I can use for Pasta Fagioli, nice good stable.

I make all kinds of soups from beans, vegetables, sometimes chicken, turkey, fish--I can make soup from anything. If fact, I can make anything; eat anything; combine anything. I can bake anything from pies, to cakes, to breads---I rarely use a recipe. I just browse recipes for suggestions and then I make it all up as I go. I eat what I have in abundance or needs to be eaten. I waste nothing; I throw out no food.

I eat whatever fish I can find cheap, fresh or in a can. I can easily make any fish dish from baked, to broiled, to stewed.

I tend to think of my meals as more vegetables, fruit and carbohydrates, whole grains, with a little meat, now and then and some dairy products. I eat fresh fruit everyday and green vegetables. I do what poor people have done for thousands of years. I combine vegetable proteins to make it complementary, to achieve a complete protein source. That is rice and bean; pasta and beans; whole grains etc., more vegetables and fruit, little dairy, less meat.

If cheese is cheap, I buy a supply. If it gets expensive, I make substitutions and use less. I use eggs in many different ways. Eggs hold much longer than the expiration date. I am not a fan of fried eggs and bacon. I never buy bacon--it is just fat. I prefer a lean ham. I never pay for fatty bones; so I do not buy ribs. I do not buy chicken wings alone--just overpriced fat and you cook it with more fat and I get fatter. I rarely buy cured meats such as hot dogs, salami etc.

It all boils, bakes or stews down to what I can find fresh, cheap or in abundance in all the local markets. When, it is cheap, I buy more. I shop the ads at the local groceries. I go to any ethnic markets, Mexican and Asian, in the poorer working neighborhoods--they are the best prices. I do not shop in the overpriced stores like Whole Foods. Here, in Colorado, we are fortunate to have a good Hispanic and Asian community because they are still poor. It is the poor who know how to eat economically and good. When I was a child, the Italian markets were good because the Italians were poor. Now the Italians are rich; their food is rich and expensive--so I avoid those markets. So goes the world, become rich and you loose the capacity and the knowledge to live a a basic essential good life.

I drink no alcohol, wine or beer. I buy no carbonated beverages or overprice fake vitamin water, pre-made ice teas or any other of that wasted junk. I make my own teas. I drink juices, generally concentrated real juices or I make my own. But mainly I drink water and no expensive bottled water. I rarely drink coffee, mostly tea. I do not buy all that overpriced flavored teas. If, I want rhaspberry tea, I buy regular tea and infuse it myself with preserves.

I buy no potato chips or snacks--I do not need all that extra fat. I rarely buy candies or pre-made cakes or pastries. I eat no donuts. I never order pizza delivery. I can make pizza cheaper and better with vegetable toppings. I use less cheese and top with anything and everything, peppers, onions, eggplant, peas, cauliflower, broccoli, etc., Fried or grilled first. I do not use pepperoni. I do admit buying some frozen pizza recently when cheese got so expensive and doctored them with vegetables. Of course the pizza was at a sales price and I had a coupon.

So, there you have it. I eat good; too good. If you see me, you will know. Yea, I can eat real cheap and a good balanced diet. In fact I have enough food in my house to live for about 7-9 months, and survive another 3 months, just on my body fat.

The trick is you have to know how to cook. You must shop wisely. You need to learn how to use different meats and vegetables. Absolutely avoid restaurants. You have to enjoy different foods and you must not have a meat centered diet.

Oh, I did graduate from The Culinary Institute of America, in Hyde Park, New York, many, many years ago; for whatever that is worth. I now have no interest in that business of slavery, long hours and low pay. I do not have the patience or the health to deal with the abuse. In addition, I am not impressed by overpriced, luxurious foods--I have eaten them, prepared them, served them. That kind of cuisine is a waste of resources. However, I did learn how to use and appreciate food. Yes, I do know food and that is helping me in my old age.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 05-22-2009 at 12:21 PM..

Old 05-22-2009, 02:08 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,930,600 times
Now that's frugal living! I practice most of your ideas: no or little carbonated drinks, no packaged foods, etc.

Speaking of not ordering pizzas, if anyone would like the recipe for sweet sourdough pizza dough, let me know and I'll dig it up. It's easy, homemade, delicious and makes two pies, which can be frozen for later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
I do budget about $135 a month but mostly I spend about $60-80 a month. I am single and a big eater. I do not eat in restaurants. I cook all my own meals.

I buy mostly stable and do not buy convenience foods. When, I do cook, I do not cook for one; I cook for four-eight and eat for two. I do not eat meat every day. I used dry legumes, rice pasta and many different vegetables, whatever cheap and in season. I eat fresh fruit everyday; again what is cheap and in season.

I do not buy the most expensive cuts of meat. For Beef, I never eat a steak from the loin or the rib. Many times, I will buy round steak. I break down the round with the "top"(inside), being tenderer, I use for stir fry and a small steak. The "bottom"(outside), I use for braised dishes, or I grind with any trimmings. I use the eye round for a small pounded steak.

For Pork, I buy full loins, break them up for chops and stir fry. For Poultry, whole chickens, or parts, what ever is cheaper. I sometime buy whole turkeys, when they sell at the holidays, for $5-6 dollars. I break them up, breast for cutlets. I bone legs and thighs; use them, for example, for grilling with olive oil, rosemary, garlic lemon juice and serve with hummus made from dried garbanzos. Sometimes I bake a half turkey, a quarter turkey, or just a leg and thigh, boned or boneless.

I use many dried beans and I make many purees of white, lentils, garbanzos, pintos, black. That with a tortilla and I have a nice meal. I am a big fan of lentils because they cook fast and I make lentil burgers, lentil loaf. All and any bean and legumes I can use for Pasta Fagioli, nice good stable.

I make all kinds of soups from beans, vegetables, sometimes chicken, turkey, fish--I can make soup from anything. If fact, I can make anything; eat anything; combine anything. I can bake anything from pies, to cakes, to breads---I rarely use a recipe. I just browse recipes for suggestions and then I make it all up as I go. I eat what I have in abundance or needs to be eaten. I waste nothing; I throw out no food.

I eat whatever fish I can find cheap, fresh or in a can. I can easily make any fish dish from baked, to broiled, to stewed.

I tend to think of my meals as more vegetables, fruit and carbohydrates, whole grains, with a little meat, now and then and some dairy products. I eat fresh fruit everyday and green vegetables. I do what poor people have done for thousands of years. I combine vegetable proteins to make it complementary, to achieve a complete protein source. That is rice and bean; pasta and beans; whole grains etc., more vegetables and fruit, little dairy, less meat.

If cheese is cheap, I buy a supply. If it gets expensive, I make substitutions and use less. I use eggs in many different ways. Eggs hold much longer than the expiration date. I am not a fan of fried eggs and bacon. I never buy bacon--it is just fat. I prefer a lean ham. I never pay for fatty bones; so I do not buy ribs. I do not buy chicken wings alone--just overpriced fat and you cook it with more fat and I get fatter. I rarely buy cured meats such as hot dogs, salami etc.

It all boils, bakes or stews down to what I can find fresh, cheap or in abundance in all the local markets. When, it is cheap, I buy more. I shop the ads at the local groceries. I go to any ethnic markets, Mexican and Asian, in the poorer working neighborhoods--they are the best prices. I do not shop in the overpriced stores like Whole Foods. Here, in Colorado, we are fortunate to have a good Hispanic and Asian community because they are still poor. It is the poor who know how to eat economically and good. When I was a child, the Italian markets were good because the Italians were poor. Now the Italians are rich; their food is rich and expensive--so I avoid those markets. So goes the world, become rich and you loose the capacity and the knowledge to live a a basic essential good life.

I drink no alcohol, wine or beer. I buy no carbonated beverages or overprice fake vitamin water, pre-made ice teas or any other of that wasted junk. I make my own teas. I drink juices, generally concentrated real juices or I make my own. But mainly I drink water and no expensive bottled water. I rarely drink coffee, mostly tea. I do not buy all that overpriced flavored teas. If, I want rhaspberry tea, I buy regular tea and infuse it myself with preserves.

I buy no potato chips or snacks--I do not need all that extra fat. I rarely buy candies or pre-made cakes or pastries. I eat no donuts. I never order pizza delivery. I can make pizza cheaper and better with vegetable toppings. I use less cheese and top with anything and everything, peppers, onions, eggplant, peas, cauliflower, broccoli, etc., Fried or grilled first. I do not use pepperoni. I do admit buying some frozen pizza recently when cheese got so expensive and doctored them with vegetables. Of course the pizza was at a sales price and I had a coupon.

So, there you have it. I eat good; too good. If you see me, you will know. Yea, I can eat real cheap and a good balanced diet. In fact I have enough food in my house to live for about 7-9 months, and survive another 3 months, just on my body fat.

The trick is you have to know how to cook. You must shop wisely. You need to learn how to use different meats and vegetables. Absolutely avoid restaurants. You have to enjoy different foods and you must not have a meat centered diet.

Oh, I did graduate from The Culinary Institute of America, in Hyde Park, New York, many, many years ago; for whatever that is worth. I now have no interest in that business of slavery, long hours and low pay. I do not have the patience or the health to deal with the abuse. In addition, I am not impressed by overpriced, luxurious foods--I have eaten them, prepared them, served them. That kind of cuisine is a waste of resources. However, I did learn how to use and appreciate food. Yes, I do know food and that is helping me in my old age.

Livecontent

Old 05-22-2009, 04:29 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times
Sounds as if you really do live up to your name, livecontent.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-22-2009, 04:54 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,902 times
I'm cooking more and really cutting back on the amount of meat and fish I eat. That helps expenses a lot.
I eat more tofu and veggies. When you use them in a recipe like this:
Indian-Chinese Sweet and Spicy Fried Cauliflower - Recipe - Saveur.com
you don't really miss meat and my arteries are much happier. I also eat more eggs. Those are cheap and not as bad as people thought.
We had a wonderful Asian supermarket open in Knoxville and I love the cheaper prices and the variety, particulary fresh produce.
When I do buy beef/pork/chicken I look for bargains in the fresh meat section. Target will have $3 dollar off coupons stuck on things that are expiring that day or the next day. I scoop them up and toss them in freezer bags and save for later. Even steak is affordable that way. I've gotten some great deals lately on london broil.
I also buy Jenni-O Turkey Italian Sausages on sale and really stock up when Target has the Jenni-O Turkey Tenderloins on sale -- basically two boned and skinned turkey breasts in a marinade. Those go right in the freezer. They're my security blanket.
I eat more veggies and salads, particulary now the farmers' markets are back. I'd rather spend a little more for really good stuff there. I find if veggies or salads taste good, I'm satisfied with a lot less.
I don't do much couponing, but I do check Target's coupons on their website. They have good ones. They also have good checkout coupons. I've gotten them for fresh veggies, meat and even generic stuff. I do appreciate having a Super Target nearby.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:28 PM

It seems that all you woman know how to cook and are wise in your use of resources. I have a 83 mother, who is a wonderful cook and a conscious shopper. She is one of those that can buy a huge cartload of groceries; give a stack of coupons and pay very little. In her house, she has a storage area for food, that can feed her and my father for more than a year. She really cannot stop buying bargains and using coupons, even though today my parents have more than enough money.

Every week, I call her and we go over the food ads, and we discuss where to go and what to buy. My parents followed the kids to Colorado from New York about 27 years ago. My mother is always giving coupons do get this free and that free. She calls me often and tells me what to buy and tells me to get up early to get a free bagel, and if I do not--I never hear the end of it-----so I do what many children do, when confronted by their aged parents--I lie. Eh, it is all fun; I am lucky to still have my parents around in their 80s.

Livecontent

Old 05-22-2009, 05:41 PM

27 posts, read 126,226 times
Wow, I guess if I live long enough I may get to enjoy retirement on the poverty line. I am 50 now, got some saved, but in no way enough to live on, it can supplement my SS, but it still isn't enough. Lessons learned...When your young, study, stay in school, get a job that has good retirement benefits-when you get to be 50 or so, you'll have enough to retire on. Life sucks living in poverty!

Old 05-22-2009, 06:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I will probably need to buy a car at some point in the not too distant future. ... I really don't trust it for long trips, especially solo trips. ...
Priceline may be your friend. I usually get rental cars for $12 - $16 / day Unlimited mileage. Do check on taxes as well, you might be able to rent 'off-site' to avoid burdensome airport taxes. Dealers also rent long-term pretty cheap. Upgrade your personal car insurance for full coverage while you have your rental car, and drop back to liability when you return.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:54 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,161,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Priceline may be your friend. I usually get rental cars for $12 - $16 / day Unlimited mileage. Do check on taxes as well, you might be able to rent 'off-site' to avoid burdensome airport taxes. Dealers also rent long-term pretty cheap. Upgrade your personal car insurance for full coverage while you have your rental car, and drop back to liability when you return.
I hadn't thought about that...good advice! Thanks.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:57 PM

The biggest savings one can make is not owning a car. Yea, I know, you need one. When you are young, you want the independence; you need to chase girls---all those reasons. When, you are middle-aged you need a car to get to work. When you are old, you get a car because you want what you feel you deserve or you still need a car to get to place to place.

Well, there is an answer, when you are older, and you no longer need to chase girls, you no longer work; and you can keep your needs simple, then get rid of the car. But, I need to get around. But if you live in area, where there is good public transportation, then you do not need a car. Problem solved. Move to a city, or section of a city, that you can get all your wants without driving a car.

I lived in NYC and many people did not own a car. I lived in a large European city and many people did not need a car. Now, I live just on the border with Denver and it is well served by public transit. I can walk to a bus; I can walk to a grocery store, the movies, banks, restaurants, shops, parks, reservoir. My doctor's office is two miles down the main bus route. Walmart is 1.6 mile away. More stores and parks are just down the street on the bus and I can easily get to most areas of Denver without driving.

Yea, I do own a car; it is 15 years old and is just hitting 70,000 miles. Last Year, I drove 2500 miles. Soon, I hope to go car free because a new commuter rail station is planned within 1/3 mile of my house. The only reason I now own a car is because my aged parents live far out in the suburbs and that is the main reason I use my car.

I think living in a dense city is much more economical when you are poor. That is if the city is progressive, clean and safe like Denver, Portland, Seattle etc. and cities like these make a commitment to public transportation. It is interesting that these new progressive cities are now attracting the rich and many poor are moving to the outer suburbs. This is a complete reversal of our city patterns and mimics many European cities which house the well to do and the poor live on the fringe.

All this gibberish just to say, dump the car and you will become free and
livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement