Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 05:53 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,416,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Miruca, I've thought of doing this too. At one of the college town cafes you can drop between 3.50 and 5 bucks for a coffee and muffin or crumpet. Not cheap at DD either! This is the one treat I have, and I have to admit that I'm kinda addicted. But if I stop to think about it, that could be $40/mo. If I had to choose btwn buying just coffee and bringing my coffee and buying a scone, I'd choose the 2nd option. But I do make good scones and I have one of those cast iron scone pans so I ought to get off my butt and make a batch every Sat. I found that fresh lemon or orange peel baked into the scones is scrumptious.

I think I'm going to get a tin and put teabags and instant coffee bags in it in the car, so I can just order hot water sometimes. Usually cafes give it for free, though I'm happy to chip in a nickle or dime for the cup/service.

Miruca what kind of beans to you buy and grind?
Do the coffee places that you visit allow you to bring your own? I've been in Germany for awhile and have gotten out of the Starbucks habit, although they have them here on every corner, like in the USA.

I used to enjoy hanging out at Barnes and Noble/Borders and drink their coffee and read their magazines. That habit has got to stop (the expensive coffee part, at least).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 06:06 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
Default Good Morning early birds~~~~

Just had to comment on all the early risers here - I know many are on a different time zone but I love early morning.

All these frugal ideas are very interesting. I've always been frugal with myself but too generous with others - that has changed.

My latest money saver has been outdoor flower pots. I usually splurge in that area but this year I'm keeping it real simple (it's also a lot less work!).

I have a 1998 Honda and plan to keep it for - well, a long time. It has low mileage since everything I need is close by (and I'm not driving to work every day) - it is also in great shape - you just can't beat a Honda! My last car was a Honda Prelude and I drove it for nearly 15 years - then donated it to Disabled Vets who auctioned it off. The person that bought it called about a year later and raved about what a good car it was (my baby!).

I don't drink coffee - just tea, milk & water - lots of water with a slice of lemon.

My biggest expense right now - I have family living here - due to unemployment I have 2 adults and 2 teenagers (off & on til school is out). I also have my 85 year old uncle here. I'm happy to help out BUT we had to have a sit down heart to heart about expenses and how they WOULD start helping out (utilities have naturally gone sky high - long showers are over). Enough already! I will be happy when it's over.

Stealthrabbit - I can smell you coming down the street!

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Time to go out and mow.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:17 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,647 times
Though my yard is too shady for a full fledged garden, I am trying herbs inside and one potted tomato and a jalapeno pepper plant on the front stoop so I can make all my own salsa. I have one apple, one cherry and two mulberry trees so I'll be in fruit for a while.

Morning MN2CO, I skipped on the perennials this year, too. Have fun with mowing!!!

Old 05-25-2009, 06:32 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
Good morning Dramammama....

Want to come over and help mow?????

It's a gorgeous day so once I get movin it's never as bad as I think it will be. I'm waiting til 8 to give the neighbors more shut-eye - although, I think all nearby neighbors are gone for the weekend. I guess it's my job to chase away all burglers and bad guys

Have a good one!!

Old 05-25-2009, 06:36 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,647 times
Shoot no, I should be mowing here(will be spring cleaning/purging in a bit).. pay the neighbor back for waking DH yesterday. Seriously, who cleans there car out on a Sunday of a holiday weekend with their music on. Can anyone say redneck?

Old 05-25-2009, 07:14 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
LC, You and Miruca are right on. Oh the habits we have and don't think about. When I was working FT I thought nothing (well, nearly nothing) about dropping 6 or 7 bucks at a deli lunch counter. Even if you bring lunch, the temptation is: well I work hard, this job sucks, so I'm gonna treat myself to a nice coffee and crumpet at break. Yikes! What would that have added up to over my working years??? I don't even want to know. I've got to find my cast iron scone pan today...

Thanks also for the tea concoction. Sounds great. But preserves are pricey. I'll check it out.

Does anyone find that shopping at Sam's-type clubs saves them money? I don't consume enough on my own to buy in qty, and don't know anyone who would share a membership, and also there's the gas to get there. Wondering if others who live alone find it worthwhile and how you go about it.
A few years ago, I did the math on my lunch and coffee out habit and realized I was spending a fortune. Just plain Starbucks coffee was almost $1000 a year; lunch and breakfast was another $2000. And I didn't know what garbage I was eating since I didn't know what the stuff was made of. I bring my lunch and breakfast now which are made from good organic ingredients and no fake food - often from my garden. I buy very good organic coffee beans that taste much better than Starbucks and spend about $350 a year on that. It is a splurge but if I can't have really good coffee, I'd rather have none at all. Still it is a huge savings.

I don't do Sam's club or Costco because I can't imagine that I would get enough savings to make up for the entry fee. I buy very little from the middle of the grocery store and primarily use vinegar and baking soda for cleaning. I used to do coupons but they don't seem worth very much now except for toilet paper. Could I really save enough to make up for that $35 doing that? I don't think so.

I stopped using the scone pan and opted for a jelly roll pan. It is easier to make and clean a flat sheet (especially with parchment paper lining it) and just cut it into pieces.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:07 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I used to enjoy hanging out at Barnes and Noble/Borders and drink their coffee and read their magazines. That habit has got to stop (the expensive coffee part, at least).
Well, I am going to have to disagree with this poster and pretty much everyone else on this thread. I go to work to make money so that I can enjoy my life. And if that entails spending money on overpriced coffee or going out to lunch from time to time, so be it. I refuse to be of the mindset that I should go to work daily for 30+ years and deprive myself of things that I can easily afford just to squirrel away an extra couple of bucks a day for my later years (assuming I'm going to be around for them.)

There is a difference between existing and living. I believe in living life to the fullest and enjoying it as much as possible for as long as possible. I will not practice frugality at the expense of my happiness.

Now don't misunderstand me. I don't spend more than I make, I never carry a balance on a credit card, and I've been saving for retirement ever since I joined the workforce. I've always considered putting money away into an IRA or a 401k just like any other monthly bill that had to be paid. But anything left over was mine to do with as I saw fit. Be that sports cars, vacations, nights out on the town, or a simple coffee at B&N.

Living your life is a journey; it is not a destination.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:38 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Well, I am going to have to disagree with this poster and pretty much everyone else on this thread. I go to work to make money so that I can enjoy my life. And if that entails spending money on overpriced coffee or going out to lunch from time to time, so be it. I refuse to be of the mindset that I should go to work daily for 30+ years and deprive myself of things that I can easily afford just to squirrel away an extra couple of bucks a day for my later years (assuming I'm going to be around for them.)

There is a difference between existing and living. I believe in living life to the fullest and enjoying it as much as possible for as long as possible. I will not practice frugality at the expense of my happiness.

Now don't misunderstand me. I don't spend more than I make, I never carry a balance on a credit card, and I've been saving for retirement ever since I joined the workforce. I've always considered putting money away into an IRA or a 401k just like any other monthly bill that had to be paid. But anything left over was mine to do with as I saw fit. Be that sports cars, vacations, nights out on the town, or a simple coffee at B&N.

I do not disagree with your premise that people shouldn't sacrifice to the extent that they give up all of their little indulgences during their working years and stash everything away in anticipation of retirement. But I think a lot of the posters here are talking about the sacrifices that we are willing to make after we have retired in order to make it do-able. I have decided that being retired and learning to live on my pension means more to me that to continue spending and living the way I could afford to while working. So I welcome the advice and tips provided in this thread.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:22 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
I do not disagree with your premise that people shouldn't sacrifice to the extent that they give up all of their little indulgences during their working years and stash everything away in anticipation of retirement. But I think a lot of the posters here are talking about the sacrifices that we are willing to make after we have retired in order to make it do-able. I have decided that being retired and learning to live on my pension means more to me that to continue spending and living the way I could afford to while working. So I welcome the advice and tips provided in this thread.
You are absolutely correct. That is a distinction that I should have made and you said it better than I did. There have been several posts on this thread alluding to all the money that is "wasted" by going to Starbucks or going out for lunches during the workday when still employed and those are the posts that I was responding to. I agree with you completely that when retired and living on a fixed income, it is important to watch your expenses more closely and cutback as necessary.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:05 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Default Enjoying life w/o overspending

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

Dear MadMan, I'm sure we would all agree w you if we were in your position w a good job. However, this thread as started recently is one that I hope is unique...mainly a support for people who HAVE worked hard all their lives and for whatever reason do not/will not have a comfortable pension and large investment return. There are plenty of fine threads on CD for those fortunate ones. This one is for the much less affluent retirees or soon to be, who are faced with lower SS and possibly have savings....and may not be able to find a supplemental job in this economy. The dilemma is huge and everything in the media is geared toward having to have a millions bucks in order to retire. That's a joke for most of us. And I'm sure most of us have been no slouchers....just did not have super paying jobs, or lost a lot, or had too much family to support, or did not have employer pensions. It helps to know that there are others in the same boat and that we can help each other out anonymously by airing our concerns and sharing some tips....and of course online friendship.

That said, I'm sure that some of us still treat ourselves now and then, and we do find lots of lovely ways to enjoy life. I spent the morning w my dogs walking around a totally empty ( holiday weekend), beautiful campus with lake...I felt like I was in paradise. That was a different kind of luxury and it cost only the money for gas to drive the 8 mi and back. And yes, I did stop to get a coffee. Sigh. Maybe will be living on a park bench one day (through no lack of hard work in my life) and so I need to remember how to smell the roses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement