Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 08:01 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,575,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntersville Boomer View Post
Thanks, today is the day before my last day, everyone is coming by to talk so I am glad I got everything I needed to complete done by now. It was easy to get up this morning knowing I only have to do it one more morning and then I can get up and go when I want to....
Or not! It's a great feeling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 11:02 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,700,918 times
Congratulations! It must feel great to be so close.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:27 AM

86 posts, read 172,032 times
Just read this this whole thread start to finish in one sitting. Great read! Really enjoyed hearing how you all went thru your last year of work and transtioned into retirement in 2009.

For me 2009 is the year I turned 55 and after 31 years in the electric utility business I'm "Golden" eligible to retire with full benefits (pension & partial medical). Hopefulluy 2010 will be the year I pull the plug and retire.

Orginal plan was to turn in my retirement papes mid April when i came back from vacation and retire in July. But already they thrown out temptations to stay longer. There is talk of a severence pay out late in 2010 when they reorganize my department. so now I'm sort of commited to staying most of the year.

My plans in retirement is travel and more travel. I've been to over 30 countries so far and hope to get to alot more in retirement.

I'm wondering if this thread will fade away in 2010 or if a new crop of retire in 2010 people will join up?

Old 12-19-2009, 11:26 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,515,945 times
if a new crop of retire in 2010 people will join up?

I'm retiring mid-year in 2010. I read this thread faithfully and live vicariously through the posts.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:09 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,281,682 times
I have only 4 more days at work to go! I can't believe I'm almost there.

Last week, I got the document done that I promised I would and that would be a lot harder for anyone else to pick up and fix, so that was good. Now, I have cleaning off my computers, finish cleaning my office, take home a few thing, and write a commendation letter. The last couple of months have been really busy. I guess people started realizing all the things I do when faced with my absence.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:22 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,473,417 times
Tesaje, I'm surprised you're not counting hours.

I will be, when I'm that close to my permanent vacation

Old 12-27-2009, 05:21 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,559,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I have only 4 more days at work to go! I can't believe I'm almost there.

Last week, I got the document done that I promised I would and that would be a lot harder for anyone else to pick up and fix, so that was good. Now, I have cleaning off my computers, finish cleaning my office, take home a few thing, and write a commendation letter. The last couple of months have been really busy. I guess people started realizing all the things I do when faced with my absence.
Let me tell you, time really flies starting the day after retirement. I was in your shoes last June. Now its already December and those days seem so long ago. I've purposely not contacted my former employees to see how things are going - had to cut the cord. I'm sure they're doing well. Everyone can be replaced.

Good luck.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:32 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,174,658 times
Wow Tesaje - you are almost there! I can't believe how fast the time has flown by. Such an exciting time!

I hope the 2010 retirees keep this thread going - I really like hearing how everyone is doing.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:41 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,174,658 times
I'm curious - has any other recent retiree been having dreams about being at work? For me, they started after a few months of being retired. Now, almost every night, I dream that I'm back at work and I'm totally frustrated with things. Then it hits me...I'm retired! I don't need to put up with this crap anymore. I start looking for someone to tell that I'm leaving - I'm going home and I'm never coming back. I can't seem to locate anyone in authority, and I am having trouble finding my way out of the building. The dream always seems to end this way, without any resolution.

I talked to my sister who was a teacher but has been retired for 11 years, and she still has this dream.

I guess it's like the dream where I'm in school and can't remember my locker combination, or can't find the classroom. Or, I'm in class, and realize that it's the final exam and I haven't been in class all term and I don't know any of the material. Wonder what it means?

Last edited by janetvj; 12-27-2009 at 06:14 PM..

Old 12-27-2009, 06:11 PM

40 posts, read 86,144 times
Default dreams

janetvj, I retired in June and I'm having work dreams too. It's the same coworkers but not the same workplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement