Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:07 PM

8,378 posts, read 4,398,599 times

Advertisements

If we are embarking on a decade of the 1970s redux stagflation, what do you plan to do about it in retirement? I can't think of doing anything differently (except that my Soc security, when I take it at 70, may be a somewhat larger component of my retirement income than I expected), but wonder if other people approach it differently. Comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM

106,703 posts, read 108,880,922 times
gold , commodities , bitcoin , managed future funds , floating rate loan funds would likely get a bigger share .
other then that , meh . i don’t worry about what i can’t control.

i just try to play the cards i am dealt the best i can.

we can’t know what we would do specifically until we see the exact underlying causes and conditions

Last edited by mathjak107; Yesterday at 01:49 PM..

Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM

11,504 posts, read 6,016,021 times
My travel budget has already been vaporized.

I sold my CA home before Covid preparing to move east. By the time I made it to TN and decided to stay, home prices shot up 40%. That $430k home is now $600k. So I just lost $170k off the top. Add in 7% interest rates, and soaring insurance costs.

That is a lot of travel.

Of course that doesn't begin to include inflation in the cost of living everywhere else that has resulted in the dollar losing 25% to 30% of its value, pre Covid.

I will have to settle for playing locally much more than previously anticipated. My travel plans are on hold or kaput. We'll see.

I can't complain. At least I will always have a roof over my head, food to eat, and money for medical, transportation and utilities. Many will not be so lucky.

Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM

11,504 posts, read 6,016,021 times
I have also traded down from name brand to generic grocery items, and include Walmart for groceries whereas I used to just shop at Publix.

Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM

8,772 posts, read 5,062,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I have also traded down from name brand to generic grocery items, and include Walmart for groceries whereas I used to just shop at Publix.
And yet, at Walmart and grocery stores some just walk out without paying.....that adds to our cost.

Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM

3,102 posts, read 2,225,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
My travel budget has already been vaporized.

I sold my CA home before Covid preparing to move east. By the time I made it to TN and decided to stay, home prices shot up 40%. That $430k home is now $600k. So I just lost $170k off the top. Add in 7% interest rates, and soaring insurance costs.

That is a lot of travel.

Of course that doesn't begin to include inflation in the cost of living everywhere else that has resulted in the dollar losing 25% to 30% of its value, pre Covid.

I will have to settle for playing locally much more than previously anticipated. My travel plans are on hold or kaput. We'll see.

I can't complain. At least I will always have a roof over my head, food to eat, and money for medical, transportation and utilities. Many will not be so lucky.
The USD index is higher than pre-Covid, so no idea where 25-30% decline in dollar is coming from.
https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/currency

Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
The USD index is higher than pre-Covid, so no idea where 25-30% decline in dollar is coming from.
https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/currency
yep , dollar is very strong

Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM

7,135 posts, read 4,546,769 times
Luckily my pension gives 5% COL raises yearly. That may not solve the problem but will certainly help. I still have a few things I could cut out such as travel, eating out and having 2 dogs. After one dies I could just have one. I spend a lot of money on them for special food, dentals, medication and vet bills.

My basic expenses are set since I own my condo and my car is paid for. I’m not worried as I know how to be frugal. I plan to keep consulting which I love unless my mind gives out. It’s not a lot of work and I made 10k last year. I also have savings and investments.

Last edited by Teacher Terry; Yesterday at 03:56 PM..

Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM

decades of investing has left us in decent shape to weather quite a lot.

we built quite a lot of slack in the plan so except for trying to use the most efficient investments if that’s the case i don’t really dwell on it before it happens

Last edited by mathjak107; Yesterday at 03:51 PM..

Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM

1,306 posts, read 652,663 times
The dreaded double-whammy..shrinkflation followed by stagflation..bad times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement