Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 07:34 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times

Advertisements

What happens to the housing market if we see both inflation and deflation?

http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/inflation-or-deflation-%22yes%22-says-chris-martenson-who-sees-%27stagflation%27-coming-535305.html?tickers=tip,tlt,tbt,udn,uup,spy,^dji

Last edited by MikeyKid; 08-09-2010 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: URL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 02:40 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,303,216 times

Cost of everyday living goes up - gasoline, food etc.

Wages stay stagnant or fall.

I would expect that house prices will decline. But rents may increase.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:19 AM

82 posts, read 346,005 times
London Girl is correct. Things like food and utility bills will continue to rise, and real estate will continue it's decline - experts are now saying 2011 for any bottom. The fed is even trying to push mortgage rates even lower than they already are, can anyone say 'life support'? lol

At least one good thing from home prices continuing their slide. . .the "home flipper" is going the way of the dodo bird. haha

Old 08-12-2010, 03:29 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,080,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherjohnson
... good thing from home prices continuing their slide. . .
the "home flipper" is going the way of the dodo bird. ...
Why is that good?

Old 08-19-2010, 11:47 AM

111 posts, read 295,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherjohnson View Post
London Girl is correct. Things like food and utility bills will continue to rise, and real estate will continue it's decline - experts are now saying 2011 for any bottom. The fed is even trying to push mortgage rates even lower than they already are, can anyone say 'life support'? lol

At least one good thing from home prices continuing their slide. . .the "home flipper" is going the way of the dodo bird. haha

I beg to differ. Since prices are going way down, it's now much easier to acquire more properties to rehab. Small houses and condos are now the game because after renting them out, the original investment is covered in what, 5 years? 100% income in 5 years is a pretty safe investment.

I agree that the days of putting makeup on giant houses to make a quick 50k are over, but "flippers" are just becoming landlords now.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:02 PM

17,401 posts, read 14,631,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherjohnson View Post
1. Not true.

2. Who the heck are going to buy the destroyed properties like the one you claim your brother in law trashed BUT an investor?

Old 08-19-2010, 12:31 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
I would expect that house prices will decline. But rents may increase.

why is this?

i'm always curious when people suggest rents will go up / are going up in an environment where real estate prices are going down. it suggests that sellers have no pricing power, but landlords do.. and i don't understand why that would be.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:53 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
With all the foreclosures in recent years, there's a growing pool of people who need a place to live but who aren't going to qualify for a mortgage anytime soon.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:39 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,113,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
With all the foreclosures in recent years, there's a growing pool of people who need a place to live but who aren't going to qualify for a mortgage anytime soon.
Is anyone actually seeing this in their market yet though?

Just curious. I'm in a smallish town in the Midwest and things are staying pretty much flat.

I have a couple of theories.

a) Folks who lost their jobs and their homes have left the area for greener pastures (i.e. larger nearby cities).

b) People are so down and out that we have completely shut them out of the housing market---including rentals. They've moved in with friends or family or are lving out of their cars and campers. At the most they are living in a "weekly" hotel.

In other words, there does not appear to be a growing rental market in my location.

Woudl love to hear what it's like in other parts of the country.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:59 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default All about employment trends and income...

People can rent places with out jobs. Give most any landlord a big enough deposit and prepay the whole lease/produce Sec 8 documents and you can get a lease. How can people prepay the whole lease? Cash out IRA,not smart but i have seen it...

Rents won't go sky rocketing, but landlords will get what they ask if people need to stick around for family reasons...

That won't work to get a mortgage and I sorta doubt that anyone with an IRA substantial to buy a house would be so eager to toss it at overpaying for a house.

If people need to leave town you will see more vacancies and falling rents.

If incomes are flat/declining prices fall.

This is simple stuff...

Smaller towns,with a more limited range of employers tend to react more quickly / dramatically to downturns. Sadly even if hints of a turn around are in the air for some,in smaller towns with an isolated employment base, the downward pressure is harder to overcome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Is anyone actually seeing this in their market yet though?

Just curious. I'm in a smallish town in the Midwest and things are staying pretty much flat.

I have a couple of theories.

a) Folks who lost their jobs and their homes have left the area for greener pastures (i.e. larger nearby cities).

b) People are so down and out that we have completely shut them out of the housing market---including rentals. They've moved in with friends or family or are lving out of their cars and campers. At the most they are living in a "weekly" hotel.

In other words, there does not appear to be a growing rental market in my location.

Woudl love to hear what it's like in other parts of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate