Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 04:37 PM

96 posts, read 43,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
The nursing home. They do that for foreign nursing home residents.
Who handles everything else once your in the home. You will be alone with a lot of money so who oversees everything else you may need. Especially finances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2024, 05:33 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
I am staying where I am.

Old 04-21-2024, 05:49 PM

24,557 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
But in such cases you are self-insured, no? Buying insurance from a local insurance carrier is still a self-insurance. I don't understand your last sentence.
They work with existing old folks coverage in country of origin or better country of residence. Even Tricare:>)

Old 04-21-2024, 05:50 PM

24,557 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence753 View Post
Who handles everything else once your in the home. You will be alone with a lot of money so who oversees everything else you may need. Especially finances.
Plenty of abuse going on. Spain had a big scandal recently.

Old 04-21-2024, 07:00 PM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
You need to improve your attitude to taxes They are needed for the services you will be using. I don’t know very much but I think your concern about taxes in Thailand is likely overblown. Read up on Foreign Tax credit: you can claim tax credit for up to $112,000 per year for taxes paid to foreign government while living abroad. I don’t think your Thailand taxes will add up to that much.

I don’t know how much the health insurance is but you might use some of it while living in the nursing home/equivalent in Thailand.

Now, I’d not visit, let alone, move to Thailand as I find it too hot and uninteresting. But, I don’t see why you couldn’t stick to your original plan.

PS: We are considering moving to France and spending some years as expats - leaving the return question open. The US tax treaty with France is quite good.
I think you may be conflating a couple of issues, as the foreign tax credit doesn’t require one to live abroad.

Do you have a link to that $112,000 limitation? I’m not familiar with it.

Old 04-21-2024, 07:38 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence753 View Post
The nursing home handles the visa renewals. In the absence of that, my extended family would hire a Thai lawyer to handle it. Again, there are youngsters in my extended family in Europe who'd take care of getting the payments to the nursing home, of monitoring my financial accounts, and of paying my US taxes if I am unable to deal with that (the tax returns would be very simple, since my only sources of income will be soc security, annuities, and some bank interest (plus possibly withdravals from Roth, but I am realistically unlikely to ever need that). It is very easy to communicate across the world nowadays, as well as to move money internationally for any necessary payments.

I already have a family member who is my medical POA, financial POA, the survivor trustee in revocable trust, the sole heir, and the executor of the will. If something disabling happened to me tomorrow, that relative would take care of everything. In the event that something happens to that relative before it happens to me, there are other members of extended family on which I could transfer these functions.

If I ever need a nursing home, that will mean I wouldn't be able to get out of bed, and in that situation, there will not be anything else I may need beyond what will be provided by the nursing home. I will be DNR, and I am not interested in any aggressive medical care even now when I am 64 and healthy, let alone when I might be 94 and paralyzed from stroke.

None of the things you mention are a problem to me; I have worked them out long time ago. Please read my previous posts to see what I consider to be a problem.

Last edited by elnrgby; 04-21-2024 at 07:49 PM..

Old 04-21-2024, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
They work with existing old folks coverage in country of origin or better country of residence. Even Tricare:>)
I still have no idea what you are talking about. Who works with existing old folks coverage in the country of origin or country of residence? Re insurance in the country of origin, Medicare does not cover healthcare outside the US. Re country of residence, yes, expats can self-insure in the foreign country of residence, but options for that are severely limited by age. But I do not understand what point you are trying to make.

Old 04-21-2024, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
I think you may be conflating a couple of issues, as the foreign tax credit doesn’t require one to live abroad.

Do you have a link to that $112,000 limitation? I’m not familiar with it.
Right, foreign tax credit is for taxes paid to non-US tax jurisdictions, regardless where one lives. I don't think there is a limit to the credit.

Old 04-21-2024, 09:22 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,422,406 times
112k is amount of earned income you can make abroad that is us tax exempt. Any foreign taxes paid, get you a non-refundable credit on your us taxes. Self employment taxes apply on foreign earned income, unless you paid into that countries scheme.

I lived in Thailand on a visa for retirement from 2014 to 2021. Medical care is generally better than the US, let alone dating an actual RN. I always did my own visa work...talk about having your Ts crossed and your Is dotted....others pay agents....just like people do to get visas from the various embassies in DC.

Check out www.aseannow.com for the best expat forums in Thailand. The mandatory insurance has been going on for about five years...I had a liberty mutual Thailand policy that worked with immigration, but there did seem to be a catch-22 on max age, making it impossible for over 80.

The Army is the government, the police are the Mafia..and immigration are part of the police. Paying for rank seems to be as old as the oldest profession.

Old 04-21-2024, 11:48 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
I agree that you're overly concerned about the legislative changes in Thailand. I think it's still a perfectly viable option for you. That said, maybe Malaysia or Indonesia would be possible alternatives? The visa situation is less straightforward, but depending how things develop over the next few years it could work out for you. Also the Philippines? That's more of an unknown for me, but I believe they have an easier retirement visa option and we know they produce plenty of nurses and caretakers.

Quote:
I still have no idea what you are talking about. Who works with existing old folks coverage in the country of origin or country of residence? Re insurance in the country of origin, Medicare does not cover healthcare outside the US. Re country of residence, yes, expats can self-insure in the foreign country of residence, but options for that are severely limited by age. But I do not understand what point you are trying to make.
You're misunderstanding the term self-insure. Self-insure does not mean taking out an insurance policy for yourself. It means you choose to bear the risks and associated costs yourself rather than getting an insurance policy. It's a simple way of saying I'll just pay out of pocket for whatever needs arise. In the business world, it usually means setting aside funds on a regular basis to cover these anticipated but unplanned costs whenever necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement