Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM

10,551 posts, read 7,747,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Good that you have family to assist. It is up to the airline to allow you on the flight. Your scenario does not take the patient into consideration.
Unless you have someone with you you are at the mercy of those around you. Seen it, do not want to see it again...

Good point. Perhaps some international carriers require fit to fly certificates for frail, elderly travelers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM

10,551 posts, read 7,747,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
A retirement visa in Thailand does not require leaving the country for the annual extension. You still have to renew it once a year, but you can do it in Thailand. Their retirement visa is available to people older than 50 who satisfy some additional requirements (including minimum financial assets and the recently added requirement for health insurance).
According to my wife, her brother doesn't know this.

Thailand as a retirement destination does not seem like a bad idea to me. I'd just plan on moving there a bit earlier than the nursing home stage.

Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,382,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Good point. Perhaps some international carriers require fit to fly certificates for frail, elderly travelers?
My mother is 89, is currently on a continent different from her home continent, flies constantly, and nobody ever required any kind of fit to fly certificate. She is not piloting the plane :-).

Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM

Quote:
And who will handle this once you are in a facility?
The nursing home. They do that for foreign nursing home residents.

Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
You write on a public forum asking people to comment, may be offer helpful advice. And, your response to anyone trying to do so is, well, deflating.

Case in Point #1 -

You wrote in the OP - "In addition to Thailand adding a cumbersome health insurance requirement during recent Covid years, ..." suggesting that health insurance in Thailand is a problem.

Then wrote - "Establishing residency earlier gives more options for expat health insurance (since most insurance companies do not offer new international insurance enrollment after a certain age),..." again suggesting obtaining the (qualifying) health insurance is might be a problem.

So, I tried to give you a link that in some cases (where advanced age might make obtaining Thai health insurance a problem), Thailand might allow self-insurance. So, trying to help. And, now you are educating me that "All international insurance is self-insurance" (which is complete nonsense).

------------

Case in Point #2 -
You also wrote in the OP - "I just found out that the tax reform in Thailand of Jan 1 this year includes taxation of foreign funds brought to Thailand. Since I would obviously have to pay the nursing home, I would obviously have to bring that payment into Thailand. I haven't studied their new tax law in any detail, so don't know exactly how the new taxation scheme will work, but the new changes are super disturbing ."

That suggested concerns about taxes in Thailand. I tried to point out that there is a foreign tax credit for up to $112,000 per year that might offset the taxes paid to Thailand.

Without acknowledging that, you shifted to how it isn't the tax you are worried about but cost of filing multiple taxes.

Good luck to you, but I am done with this thread.
I replied to this, but I don't know where the long reply went, it is somehow not showing up. I am not writing it again. The reply was to the effect that I had already immigrated in a foreign country once before, and have routinely worked in multiple states in the US in the course of a single year, so I know what inadvertent missing of complicated paperwork rules can do to a person, and at what cost.

I don't care about the "cost of multiple tax filings" (which is obviously trivial), but about complex tax rules that are imprecise and subject to interpretation (as is routinely the case with international tax rules).

If you know of any country where the national health insurance system offers international insurance (above the very limited lifetime amount, something like $40k, offered by some Medicare supplements), ie, of any example of international health insurance that is not self-insurance, please let me know.

Lastly, I am not "deflating" anyone, but people are offering me suggestions that contain either what I already know, or is unrelated to my concerns.

To clarify, I don't need any suggestions about Thailand. The mere existence of the new rules is a problem for me. My question is what other options (in the US or abroad) can people suggest instead of Thailand?

Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
According to my wife, her brother doesn't know this.

Thailand as a retirement destination does not seem like a bad idea to me. I'd just plan on moving there a bit earlier than the nursing home stage.
That is rather incredible. Maybe your wife's brother moved to Thailand long before he was 50, and never realized that he could get a retirement visa at 50, which is renewed without leaving Thailand.

Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM

24,513 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Quote:
The nursing home. They do that for foreign nursing home residents.
The US Dollar says 'in God we trust'.

Old Yesterday, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Simply not true, at least for retirees.
My apologies as I was going by resident not regular renewal which is a headache especially for those somewhat incapacitated.

Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I replied to this, but I don't know where the long reply went, it is somehow not showing up. I am not writing it again. The reply was to the effect that I had already immigrated in a foreign country once before, and have routinely worked in multiple states in the US in the course of a single year, so I know what inadvertent missing of complicated paperwork rules can do to a person, and at what cost.

I don't care about the "cost of multiple tax filings" (which is obviously trivial), but about complex tax rules that are imprecise and subject to interpretation (as is routinely the case with international tax rules).

If you know of any country where the national health insurance system offers international insurance (above the very limited lifetime amount, something like $40k, offered by some Medicare supplements), ie, of any example of international health insurance that is not self-insurance, please let me know.

Lastly, I am not "deflating" anyone, but people are offering me suggestions that contain either what I already know, or is unrelated to my concerns.

To clarify, I don't need any suggestions about Thailand. The mere existence of the new rules is a problem for me. My question is what other options (in the US or abroad) can people suggest instead of Thailand?
Most former East Block states have industries based on seniors with medical needs. Most insurances work with them or you can buy in locally. In the US 24/7 in home care which my MIL is doing.

Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Most former East Block states have industries based on seniors with medical needs. Most insurances work with them or you can buy in locally. In the US 24/7 in home care which my MIL is doing.
But in such cases you are self-insured, no? Buying insurance from a local insurance carrier is still a self-insurance. I don't understand your last sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement