Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 10:56 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times

Advertisements

I have suspected my older Sister suffered from scurvy in her final years for the common reasons of poor diet and poir oral hygiene. She suffered significsnt hair loss as well as loss of approximately half her teeth.

In January of this year I noticed extremely sore gums and bleeding after each of my twice/day teeth brushing. At my semi-annual dentist visit in early March the Hygienist and Dentist noticed these symptoms as well as highly inflamed gums, and were baffled as I have not exhibited this before in the over 20 years of being their patient!

The Dentist prescribed use of a very soft tooth brush and oral rinses with saltwater 2-3 times daily. Things got only a little better with this regimen.

Then my wife heard a diagnosis of these symptoms while watching a Medical Drama on TV. The TV diagnosis was Scurvy!

Our diet includes lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. I brush at least twice/day. Floss regularly. See the Dentist every 6 months. Scurvy???

So I searched the 'net for Scurvy and learned that in addition to poor diet and poor oral hygine, another cause is advancing age! Plus there were those observations of my older Sister. Genetics too maybe?

I did a second search of the 'net, this time for treatment protocol of Scurvy. Medical treatment is a short duration of massive doses of Vitamin C. Followed by a longer duration of high doses of Vitsmin C. Followed by a lifetime of Recommended Daily Values of Vitamin C via OTC supplements.

So I am now 3-4 weeks in the Massive Daily Dose stage using an OTC Vitamin C supplement.

Gum inflamation is gone
Gum soreness is gone.
Bleeding after teeth brushinng is one.

Moral of the story is that sometimes healthy lifestyle choices alone is not enough to prevent things like Scurvy but the solution need not be expensive or onerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2024, 11:35 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Wow that was an incredible comeback and not something that I would have thought of.

I know that vitamin D deficiency can cause some pretty wild symptoms - like cognitive decline, so it doesn't surprise me that a lack of vitamin C absorption, for whatever reason, could cause issues. That is good to know.

Old 04-17-2024, 12:38 PM

22,557 posts, read 47,614,734 times
You don't need "massive" doses of any water soluble vitamin, as any excess leaves your body.

Old 04-17-2024, 01:03 PM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You don't need "massive" doses of any water soluble vitamin, as any excess leaves your body.
Just following the protocol.
But this 'flushing' of excess vitamin C intake might be exactly why the high dosage is recommended for a short duration. Get as much Vitamin C delivered in as short of time as possible to thwart progress.
Then go to a normal dose.

Old 04-17-2024, 01:40 PM

51 posts, read 9,990 times
I wonder if it is difficult for you to absorb vitamin c so you'll need high doses for many years to come. Spending time in the sun might help absorption.

Old 04-17-2024, 01:59 PM

22,557 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippiee View Post
I wonder if it is difficult for you to absorb vitamin c so you'll need high doses for many years to come. Spending time in the sun might help absorption.
Wrong vitamin.

Old 04-17-2024, 02:48 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippiee View Post
I would see a doctor and certainly have tests done as to why I contracted scurvy, if that's what it is. Scurvy is pretty rare in the U.S. and limited to mostly malnourished countries around the world. If seniors are more prone to scurvy, it's probably because seniors with low incomes have a very poor diet lacking in nearly any fresh fruits and vegetables. It doesn't take much vitamin C to prevent scurvy. Even potatoes, green veggies, peppers, tomatoes, apples have plenty of vitamin C. It's not about the lack of eating citrus.
If it's indeed scurvy, there's probably a lot more going on. Perhaps another medical condition is preventing the absorption of vitamin C unless it's consumed in very high quantities. I'm just saying I would definitely have it checked out and find the reason for it.

This is from an article from the Cleveland Clinic on scurvy:
"Vitamin C deficiency can occur due to a diet low in vitamin C. But a deficiency severe enough to cause scurvy is rare in the U.S. because most people get enough of the nutrient in their diet. The condition is a problem in countries around the world where people are malnourished."

Last edited by marino760; 04-17-2024 at 03:15 PM..

Old 04-17-2024, 03:59 PM

51 posts, read 9,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Wrong vitamin.
Oh yeah, that's vitamin D. Might work for Vitamin C too

Old 04-17-2024, 04:41 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post

It doesn't take much vitamin C to prevent scurvy. Even potatoes, green veggies, peppers, tomatoes, apples have plenty of vitamin C. It's not about the lack of eating citrus.
Right. It isn't necessarily a matter of eating citrus. In many places where fresh fruit/citrus isn't grown locally, one of the more important sources of vit. C is potato.

Old 04-17-2024, 05:23 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
You might want to get a glucose meter and check yourselves for diabetes.

https://link.springer.com/article/10...94-020-00040-2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement