Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 10:35 AM

4 posts, read 6,414 times

Advertisements

A little background about me. I have had these "boils" on by butt cheeks for about 50 years. I have had several operations aimed at curing what was diagnosed as a perianal fistula. Surgery showed no connection to the rectum but left me with large scars. I was in remission for a while, but recently have had flareups which are complicated by the surgical scar tissue.

This part is speculative. Presumably the surgeon, who has a good reputation, cleaned out the tract and allowed the wound to heal from the inside out. So why should I have a recurrence since the the original tract and scar tissue were removed? The reopening of wounds is a symptom of Scurvy, which Captain Cook cured by the addition of vitamin C to sailors diets.

I'm beginning to think that this might be the case with my HS scars and maybe even the primary site flareup.
I have noticed some correlation with Vit-C supplements, but am a statistic of one and my testimony is purely anecdotal.

My question IS? Has anyone else noticed anything similar?

Regards to all fellow sufferers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 02:12 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
The reopening of wounds is a symptom of a lot of things. You're also assuming it's the same wound reopening, rather than a series of new boils. Some people have problems with ingrown hairs that get infected in the groin area. Some have cysts, and if you have HPV, they could be venereal warts. It's possible you might even have a combination of a bunch of things going on all in the same general vicinity. Good hygiene is important too - if you're too rough, or not thorough enough with your toilet habits, you could irritate it and make it flare up again, OR a new one could show up if you're prone to them.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:14 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Still don't know what HS is...Holy Spirit?

Old 01-26-2015, 02:18 PM

Sorry, I thought this was a HS forum.
Hidradenitis suppurativa (HS) is a chronic skin disease characterized by clusters of abscesses, epidermoid cysts, sebaceous cysts, pilonidal cysts that most commonly affects apocrine sweat gland bearing areas, such as the underarms, under the breasts, inner thighs, groin and buttocks.[1] The disease is not contagious.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:36 PM

My hygiene is fine, I dont have HPV,and I'm not assuming anything. The swelling happens in exactly the same location as before and puss excretes from an opening in the surgical scar.

"The reopening of wounds is a symptom of a lot of things."
What other things causes wounds to open?

Do you have any information about my inquiry regarding HS and scurvy?

Old 01-26-2015, 04:54 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
1. There is no known cause of HS.
2. Proposed causes (meaning - possible suggested maybe I wonder if kind of things) have not been proven or even almost-proven yet.
3. If your CBCs come up normal, you don't have scurvy.
4. Vitamin C deficiency isn't even considered a trigger for HS, let alone a cause. Vitamin C supplementation is also not on the list of possible treatments. As such, it is very unlikely that scurvy (severe vitamin C deficiency) causes HS.

Also no, this isn't an HS forum. This is a relocation forum (City-Data), and you're posting in the subforum of general Health and Wellness. City Data doesn't have an HS forum.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:11 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,202,002 times
I have HS and have not noticed any correlation between it and Vitamin C. Although, I will admit, I never looked for one.

There was recently a medical trial at Penn State (it may still be going on) using Humira (adalimumab) to treat HS. I'm not sure how effective it has been. I was unable to participate because after stopping my medication, my condition didn't get bad enough.

I have been treating HS for about 10 years with 50mg doxycycline twice a day. And I wash the more prone areas with an antiseptic soap (Hidraclens) daily. I have the rare breakthrough, but for the most part my HS is under control.

As for recurring, even with the surgery, I imagine there may be ducts that are not found and removed. That would lead to them forming again. I had surgery on my pilonidal cyst 3 times and it still drains every now and then. It is my belief that a "sinus" formed at the site of the surgical scar that allows the cyst to drain easily and thereby keeping it from getting ovewhelmed with infection to the point it needs lanced again.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:27 AM

Thanks for your reply. Your experience is similar to mine. Perhaps the Vit-C may help my immune system to fight the infection when it flares, but my thought was that a collagen deficiency initially caused the wound to open and form a sinus.
I find sitting on a heating pad ( more convenient than a sits bath ) relieves inflammation and helps promote drainage. Good luck.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:47 AM

107 posts, read 558,708 times
Vitamin C deficiency that would cause wound opening would need to be severe and would cause other obvious symptoms, like gum bleeding and problems with all, even small, wounds in any area not only on the buttocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness