Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2024, 05:36 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

From what I've seen, the problem is more with the family not being willing to let go than the doctors not wanting the patient to die.

My paternal grandmother had a disabling stroke last April. She was 87 with very advanced dementia. She laid on a gurney in the ED for ten to twelve hours before triaged.

She would have been better off to die then. Her quality of life and the "essence of who she was" was gone long before this. Prior to the stroke, she could at least get up, get to the bathroom, eat, and had a few moments of relative lucidity here and there. After the stroke, she was effectively paralyzed on one side of the body, couldn't eat, and her organs effectively shut down over the next few weeks, probably from the malnutrition and dehydration after the stroke.

Of course, the daughters wanted to keep her alive as long as possible. They stuck their heads in the sand for years about her dementia and underlying issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 10:07 AM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times
My ex was a physician, and at one time I was an intensive coronary care nurse. We had seen it all.
After we separated, he asked me to accompany him for a medical procedure that required general anesthesia. His sibling had offered, but the ex was concerned that if something went wrong, his sibling would consent to any procedure that could extend my ex's life.
This was not a friendly divorce. Nevertheless, I agreed to help, with the condition that he first inform his mother of the reason for his request. If the worst happened, I didn't want her to blame me for killing her son! lol

Old 04-01-2024, 10:37 AM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
When there is no advanced care directive (living will) and family members disagree you can pretty much bet the hospital will want to go to heroic lengths to keep the patient alive.

If you don't want that to happen than have an advanced care directive. Good hospitals will try to get conscious patients to sign one at the time of admission.
Oh, I'm not sure if that's a good idea.

Old 04-01-2024, 10:56 AM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
what surgery is available for ESRD?
It was too long ago and I do not remember. This was in the 70s

Old 04-01-2024, 11:04 AM

2,890 posts, read 2,137,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
It was too long ago and I do not remember. This was in the 70s

I see

Old 04-01-2024, 11:06 AM

2,890 posts, read 2,137,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Oh, I'm not sure if that's a good idea.
the alternative is to be subjected to care that, in the end, won't make a difference.

Old 04-01-2024, 11:36 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
The hospitals are afraid of lawsuits if the patient dies in one of their facilities. If your terminal it’s off to home hospice where you’re responsible for everything.
Exactly right. If they are found to be negligent in offering some kind of treatment that could have prolonged the patient's life, they can be sued. A retired oncologist told me they have to offer "hope" to the patient and family even when a therapy might have only a small chance of succeeding.

Old 04-01-2024, 11:38 AM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Some months back, somebody else posted a similar article. It was very good with a doctor explaining the view of other doctors for end of life and how they don't choose to drag out their own deaths endlessly. I wish I could find that old thread. It would add good context to your link. It is just more of the same but it was a really good read.

It is always hard to find old things when you need them.
It was probably me. I post this when similar threads are made and ongoing and the same questions and opinions are discussed. Different people join CD so the info is relevant in new threads. I think it is an excellent article and really gives "food for thought".

Old 04-01-2024, 11:57 AM

836 posts, read 505,530 times
Yes, it's a moneymaker. Insurance companies will cover rehab more than hospice at a SNF. If you are on hospice, they won't won't pay for room and board. It's criminal.

Old 04-01-2024, 06:21 PM

2,627 posts, read 1,170,699 times
I put in my will that if the law allows it I want to be euthanized before hospice comes at the very last minute. An advanced directive may not have that option so I made sure that was there.

I believe the right to die should be expanded to not waiting until the last minute after already suffering and losing my ability to wipe my own azz or end pain. Hospice helps but they wait until the patient already suffered to much to end it.

I get to that point I want an end of life doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement