Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 05:43 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times

Advertisements

Thankfully both my parents put their wishes in writing and didn’t suffer unnecessary procedures at the end of their lives. Although the VA doctors tried to get my dad to have surgery when he was dying. He was 6ft and weighed 90 pounds because of severe emphysema and he had a big stroke 14 years before. He wanted to die for years. When they couldn’t get my mom to consent to surgery because he had a stomach aneurysm they tried to talk my dad into after we left although legally he wasn’t competent. He refused and died 5 days later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2024, 06:31 PM

131 posts, read 39,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

I asked him why he wanted to subject the family to this indignity? He told me the same thing he had said in the room. I put my hand on his shoulder, pulled him close and said that I would approve the autopsy ONLY if I received a copy of the report to prove last week's surgery was unneeded, except to make him more money. Then I would sue his ass

!
You're saying he kept your loved one alive an extra week just to make himself more money? How exactly does that work?

Where was this? Hospital? He should lose his medical license, he's violating the Hippocratic Oath and sounds like the worst scumbag I've ever heard of.

Sorry you had to go through this.

Old 03-31-2024, 06:48 PM

3,085 posts, read 2,213,841 times
It’s not always the doctors that push the patients to undergo painful treatment against the odds. Here is a piece by an oncologist discussing how patients expect another round of chemo when the cancer returns…

https://www.washingtonpost.com/welln...r-end-of-life/

Old 03-31-2024, 06:56 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
I have found this article to be of great information. In it it touches on why doctors keep patients alive, from running tests to useless procedures. Short and interesting article. From Readers Digest.

https://www.rd.com/article/how-doctors-choose-to-die/
Some months back, somebody else posted a similar article. It was very good with a doctor explaining the view of other doctors for end of life and how they don't choose to drag out their own deaths endlessly. I wish I could find that old thread. It would add good context to your link. It is just more of the same but it was a really good read.

It is always hard to find old things when you need them.

Old 03-31-2024, 08:20 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
For whatever reason, they want to keep us hooked up, drugged up, and bedridden in perpetuity while time and effort goes completely wasted for someone on death's doorstep that would be better spent treating someone young with a correctable condition. It is illogical.
Not so much illogical, but profitable. There is no more Hippocratic oath and there hasn't been for a few decades now. The reason you ponder is money, pure and simple.

Honestly, I don't think I could trust a modern day doctor face to face any more than a diagnosis from Web MD. They both lead to the same thing - a circuit of expensive drugs, treatments, and various 'procedures' to prolong life and treatment as long as possible, even if a person ends up incapacitated in a wheelchair pooping in a diaper. "We saved their life". Ain't no life left, it shouldn't even come to that.

Old 03-31-2024, 09:16 PM

2,889 posts, read 2,137,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Many years ago when my father was dying of terminal kidney failure and his body was shutting down, his surgeon wanted to operate to "save him." My mother never said no, she felt that there was always hope. She overrode me and said yes.

Dad suffered another week and finally (and thankfully) died. The same surgeon came in the room while Dad was still warm and said that he would like to order an autopsy "to help future medicine"

I told him that he and I could talk in the hall while Mom was saying her goodbyes.

I asked him why he wanted to subject the family to this indignity? He told me the same thing he had said in the room. I put my hand on his shoulder, pulled him close and said that I would approve the autopsy ONLY if I received a copy of the report to prove last week's surgery was unneeded, except to make him more money. Then I would sue his ass

Needless to say, he didn't order the autopsy!

what surgery is available for ESRD?

Old 03-31-2024, 10:12 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times
In my experience, it's not the physicians who are the problem. It's usually the patient's family.

Old 03-31-2024, 10:38 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
In my experience, it's not the physicians who are the problem. It's usually the patient's family.
When there is no advanced care directive (living will) and family members disagree you can pretty much bet the hospital will want to go to heroic lengths to keep the patient alive.

If you don't want that to happen than have an advanced care directive. Good hospitals will try to get conscious patients to sign one at the time of admission.

Old 04-01-2024, 05:28 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Some months back, somebody else posted a similar article. It was very good with a doctor explaining the view of other doctors for end of life and how they don't choose to drag out their own deaths endlessly. I wish I could find that old thread. It would add good context to your link. It is just more of the same but it was a really good read.

It is always hard to find old things when you need them.
I remember that but I think it was years ago.

Old 04-01-2024, 05:35 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
A friend of mine is going through this now. The family wants her to try everything, chemo, surgery, etc. She has pancreatic cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement