Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2024, 09:37 PM

2,302 posts, read 1,522,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I'll second getting the shingles vaccine. When I worked in the tire business, the store owner got shingles and he was out for more than a month. When he came back he said that it was a truly horrible experience.

My late mother got it when she was in her late 80s and she said that she had days when she just wanted to die.

My wife and I both got vaccinated as no way we want to go through a bout of shingles if we can help it.
I will third getting shingles shots. My friend got shingles and it went into her eye. It was dreadful and at one stage she had to put in eye drops every two or three hours, day and night. Also it has recurred.

We get the shot free when we are seventy and we all ran out and got it after her experience.

Old 03-07-2024, 01:42 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Having just read the book Jabbed: No more! No more!

Old 03-07-2024, 04:14 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You really should get the shingles shot. From what people who've suffered through it have said, it's a horrific illness. I was overjoyed to learn of a shot for it. Really. After the stories I've heard from those who had it. The vaccine may make you feel kind of sick for a day or two but it's so worth it.

I didn't get a covid shot this year. When I tried in the fall they kept saying it wasn't available yet. I gave up and kind of forgot all about it. Now with spring coming and people not indoors so much passing it around, I don't know if I'll bother.
I’ve had shingles at least 4 times, starting 20 years ago. The shingles vaccine was new then, and my doctor said he didn’t believe in using his patients as Guinea pigs. In all these years, neither he, or my current doctor suggested I get it, until now. It’s puzzling to me. Someone suggested its new and improved now, so maybe that is why.

Old 03-07-2024, 04:21 AM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times
i had shingles years ago .. it was so mild i thought i had bug bites …it wasn’t until i went to the doctor that i realized it was shingles when my lymph nodes were all swollen .

it was pretty much a non event . certainly nothing like delta when it left my wife and i hospitalized for two weeks.

once delta left and we had cold- vid i stopped with all the shots .

had coldvid again last sept and it was nothing .

after two days it was done

Old 03-07-2024, 05:53 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,024,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Could've made that a poll question. Cuts down considerably on arguing!
Well, there have been 22 responses in this thread as of this post and so far there haven't been any arguments or even any controversial statements made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXcM...geBobTimeCards

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
No one "needs" a booster.
I stand corrected.

Old 03-07-2024, 06:14 AM

37,618 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i had shingles years ago .. it was so mild i thought i had bug bites …it wasn’t until i went to the doctor that i realized it was shingles when my lymph nodes were all swollen .

it was pretty much a non event . certainly nothing like delta when it left my wife and i hospitalized for two weeks.

once delta left and we had cold- vid i stopped with all the shots .

had coldvid again last sept and it was nothing .

after two days it was done
I got Covid in November after a trip to Longwood Gardens to see the Christmas lights. It was just like the first time I had it (although the first time it was not diagnosed but I am 100% certain I had it). Both sucked, but I recovered quicker the second time. The first time I had a cough that hung on for nearly 3 months. The second time, I was over the cough in 3 weeks thank goodness.

Old 03-07-2024, 07:13 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,670,669 times
I'm 68. I've received all the Covid boosters, Shingrix, pneumococcal, whooping cough, RSV, and probably a few others. Never had any effects from any vaccine. I will definitely get this Covid booster.

My wife and I did have mild Covid at the same time. I was working in schools and she was seeing patients in a hospital. We don't know who gave it to who. We both took Paxlovid right away and recovered quickly.

Old 03-07-2024, 07:31 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,767,171 times
We got covid boosters in October. DH just had covid while on our vacation in Hawaii. He probably got it while we were traveling to CA, and then it showed up a few days later when we arrived in Hawaii. All 4 in our party came down with "cold symptoms" but only he tested himself. We all recovered from our symptoms in a few days, just congested heads and runny noses. All 4 are in our 60s, vaccinated, and have various co-morbidities. I got it last year and only felt really bad for one half day with a fever. The rest of it was just like a mild cold. I get the same type of reaction when I get my vaccine, a 4-hour bout of fever, and then I'm back to normal.

It's interesting all the different peoples' various reactions to vaccines. The shingles vaccine gave me zero reaction, as has every other vaccine my whole life except covid, which again has given me a 4-hour fever with chills and shaking every time. I believe in vaccines and will continue to get them. I believe my very mild covid case shows me they work well.

Old 03-07-2024, 09:04 AM

9,866 posts, read 7,740,106 times
We aren't going to get it and we never got them in the past. We still work with the public and didn't get covid until 2022, very mild cases, my husband had a mild cough and I was just tired.

My daughter got myocarditis from her shot back in 2021. She was required to take it for work. She recovered, but it was scary.

Old 03-07-2024, 09:45 AM

120 posts, read 131,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’ve had shingles at least 4 times, starting 20 years ago. The shingles vaccine was new then, and my doctor said he didn’t believe in using his patients as Guinea pigs. In all these years, neither he, or my current doctor suggested I get it, until now. It’s puzzling to me. Someone suggested its new and improved now, so maybe that is why.
Times have changed. We are still being used as guinea pigs just Drs are benefiting more greatly from giving them. I had asked 3 Drs. that I will no longer go to if they have seen the Vaers data (vaccine adverse event report system and they didn't even know what I was talking about. When there is an injury from a vaccine they are to report it to Vaers. Best medicine is to be your healthiest and take your Vit d and K-2 among others.

All the people I know who are highly poked keep getting Covid. It's your body, your choice its just something I do not understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement