Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 11:32 PM

1,938 posts, read 701,560 times

Advertisements

My father's ancestors bought a big plot in a nice Queens cemetery circa 1900! I'm pretty sure the plot can hold at least 25 people and my father may have been number 17 or 18 in there. I'm pretty sure that's where I'll end up. I like the headstone (I tried cleaning it with some product from Amazon that didn't do too much, though). Maybe I should try "Wet and Forget" next. (Sounds like something dogs do - )

Cremations are popular. But I can't get that awful scandal out of my mind about the Tri-State crematory
in Georgia that happened years ago. There was another crematory scandal recently that took place in Colorado! People are so sick!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 04:46 AM

880 posts, read 764,846 times
My mom recently passed away. My parents bought 4 plots next to my grandparents when my grandfather passed away about 40 years ago.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:06 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,208,974 times
I think I'll go the budget route and be cremated. No one is going to come see me and my deceased family is all over the place. I'm conjuring up interesting places to spread my remains. A little here....a little there.

We threw my mother from a plane over the Krishnamurti Center and Library in Ojai, CA. She was a big fan and would have gotten a kick out of the trouble we went through to do that!!!

Old 02-29-2024, 07:37 AM

5,576 posts, read 6,503,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Your child can decide what to do with empty urns?? WHY? You already said your child is not sentimental, do them the favor and toss them.
I can't, I've held onto them so long and several were on display, and they contained the ashes of loved ones, I myself cannot toss them. The one was custom for the (husband's) maiden aunt who was not a pleasant person, I had to insist the 3 of us visit her, and her favorite color was green, so her urn was a lovely marbled green piece, looks like a flower vase only bigger. My child (ok, daughter), might prove me wrong and decide to keep any or all. They are in the original boxes in the closet of a bedroom, out of the way and NBD to be decided on quickly.

Old 02-29-2024, 07:53 AM

9,852 posts, read 7,722,163 times
My children's father passed away last year and was cremated. My son received the ashes, my girls didn't want them, so he decided to plant a new tree in the backyard and spread them there. My dad was cremated and the urn buried at the double plot at the cemetery. Mom visits all the time.

Old 02-29-2024, 08:43 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
My bf died last year. He wanted to be cremated, and he told me "I want a handful of me and my dog (died the year before) in the lake (where his retirement house was), and a handful of me and the dog and <late wife> out back here in the garden at this house where we raised the boys, and a handful of me and the dog and the late wife out by her tree (across the street in a park where you could have a memorial tree planted) and a handful of me and the dog and late wife at our extended family's cottage..."

At which point I said, "Maybe this is something you need to talk to your sons about." He didn't, but I told them what he said. I spread some of his and the dog's ashes in the lake because that house is where we had spent our time together, and one of his sons spread some of his and the dog's ashes at the family cottage, but the sons have not proceeded with the rest of it because they didn't think to ask their dad what he did with their mother's ashes. They've looked through the house, and they can't find them. She died about sixteen years ago, and they have no idea where her ashes were stashed.

Because he was an avid fisherman and writer about fishing, we put the box with his ashes into his late father's old creel, and at his memorial service we put a photo of him and his beloved dog next to the creel. Then afterward, his sister had everyone over for a repast and the creel was on the table and we all gathered round with a shot of his favorite expensive tequila and made a toast to him.

Old 02-29-2024, 08:45 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,048,341 times
When DH died, he was cremated according to our wishes, and the ashes scattered at sea (well, Cape Cod Bay). I think when you are that close to someone, it's distressing to think of their body decomposing in the ground, at least it is for me. And I am glad I don't have a "plot" to visit, that strikes me as sad.
And then I found out how mausoleums deal with the unpleasant effects of body decomposition inside a building. I'll let you look it up for yourselves.

Old 02-29-2024, 09:14 AM

18,715 posts, read 33,376,773 times
My father's ashes are at the V.A. cemetery as he requested. I went once to make sure the headstone was as he wished but had no sense of him being there. I have no idea where my mother and sister's ashes are- pretty sure they were scattered somewhere.

I do get sentimental about my dogs' ashes, since they were homeless when I got them. They're in my front yard, scattered.

Old 02-29-2024, 10:32 AM

37,594 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Cremation. Thinking of my body decomposing in the ground creeps me out.

Old 02-29-2024, 11:49 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,931,891 times
My wife and I purchased two adjacent cemetery plots a couple years ago so our children would not have to come up with the money or make decisions of what would happen to our bodies.

Wife and I are together just like we have been for nearly all of our adult lives.

Nice cemetery and all but I really don't care what it looks like in 50, 200 or 1,000 years from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement